Seleucia Pieria - an unrecorded reverse?

  • numisnerd
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2006
      Good evening -

      I seldom have posted to this list. Seleucid coins are, indeed,
      amongst the coins in my collection. I have acquired what may be a
      city coin of Seleucia Pieria, Syria, that has a rather unual legend.

      Please have a look at the coin, at this eBay link:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&rd=1&item=8408638781&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

      I can understand all of the legend except for the final line,
      directly under PIERIAI, on the reverse. It reads HSIXRAS.

      The coin does not proclaim either autonomous or municipal standing.
      It is obviously a city coin. Undated, however.

      Could the last line be the name of a monarch or magistrate (thus also
      narrowing the time period). I should know this. But I can find no
      match for the word in Icard. Nor can I find an exact cite in Sear, L-
      K 1, Lindgren 3, BMC Syria, or on Wildwinds.

      18 MM, 4.76 gr., 3h.

      My friend Richard McAlee, has indicated that the final line of the
      legend indicates 'the Sacred', which is seen in coins proclaiming
      autonomous status. This coin does not proclaim that.

      So, my question is, has any member of this site seen this ending on
      this variety of Seleucid coin before? What date might this issue be
      narrowed dow to? And a specifc cite, perhaps?

      I will also attempt to post an image under a file I would call
      Effler1.

      Any feedback would be appreciated.

      Thank you -

      Bob Effler
      Los Angeles, CA.
    • Iossif Panos
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2006
        Dear Bob,

        From a very first and quick study of the coin, I really believe that the line under EN PIERIAI should be read as (T)HS IERAS, the "sacred". Unfortunately, I don't have any reference available to me right now, but this is a very common feature of Tyre's and Sidon's coinages, with the longer inscription THS IERAS KAI ASYLOY. I hope that this might help.

        Best regards

        Panos

        ---------------------------------
        Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services préférés : vérifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualité en temps réel. Cliquez ici.

      • Oliver D. Hoover
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2006
          Bob,

          This is a second century BC Seleucia in Pieria bronze indicating the
          sacred status of the city. I don't know any serious discussion of
          this series except for a letter written by E. T. Newell to C.B.
          Welles that appears in footnote 3 on p. 292 of Royal Correspondence
          in the Hellenistic Period. There, Newell mentions that he has
          several examples of these (now in the ANS collection) and suggests
          that they were probably struck during the first reign of Demetrius II
          because of their stylistic resemblance to other issues of his as
          well as to the ADELPHWN DHMWN series under Alexander I. Presumably
          the city received its sacred status from Demetrius. Seleucia later
          became "sacred and inviolable" probably under Antiochus VII. This
          title appears on a quasi-municipal issue of 138/7 BC. Seleucia did
          not become autonomous until 109.

          Hope this helps.

          Oliver D. Hoover
        • dumitru adrian
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7 6:01 AM
            Ca va, pannos? Je viens de lire l'article de Oliver Hoover de ton recueil de Topoi... et j'ai pense a toi.
            C'etait bien le vin roumain?

            Adrian

            Iossif Panos <piossif@...> wrote: Dear Bob,

            From a very first and quick study of the coin, I really believe that the line under EN PIERIAI should be read as (T)HS IERAS, the "sacred". Unfortunately, I don't have any reference available to me right now, but this is a very common feature of Tyre's and Sidon's coinages, with the longer inscription THS IERAS KAI ASYLOY. I hope that this might help.

            Best regards

            Panos

            Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services pr�f�r�s : v�rifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualit� en temps r�el. Cliquez ici.

            Community email addresses:
            Post message: seleukids@yahoogroups.com
            Subscribe: seleukids-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Shortcut URL to this page: