Epigraphy

  • Chris Bravo
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 2006
      Hello all,

      I'm currently doing undergraduate research on the Seleucid Empire, and
      I need some help. I need to locate some inscriptions from the
      Seleucid Empire. Does anyone kow any good collections/books I could
      locate which would include such inscriptions? Thanks.

      --Chris Bravo
    • egil4870
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19, 2006
        --- In seleukids@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Bravo" <bravoc@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I'm currently doing undergraduate research on the Seleucid Empire, and
        > I need some help. I need to locate some inscriptions from the
        > Seleucid Empire. Does anyone kow any good collections/books I could
        > locate which would include such inscriptions? Thanks.
        >
        > --Chris Bravo

        Dear Chris,

        The Livius organisation has a comprehensive collection of Mesopotamian
        tablets, many of which are from the Seleucid era and give a fascinating
        insight into its economy, politics and calendar from a non-Greek point
        of view. Several of these have been discussed here, and Jona Lendering
        and others deciphering them even discuss their findings on this list,
        which could be found in the back pages here. Here is the link to the
        starting page: Babylonian chronicles
        <http://www.livius.org/cg-cm/chronicles/chron00.html>

        If you do want Greek inscriptions and are not strictly limited to the
        Seleucid empire proper, I recommend looking into the extensive
        inscriptions on Nemrud Dag in Kommagene north of Syria. These
        inscriptions were made by Antiochus I of Commagene, who was of Seleucid
        ancestry, and they include a very interesting genealogy which goes back
        to the Seleucus I, Darius the Great and Alexander (the latter only
        fictionally). Also, there are astrological and religious inscriptions.

        Here is a good homepage: Nemrud Foundation
        <http://www.nemrud.nl/en/index.htm>

        Best of luck!

        Jens Jakobsson