Tigranes II reference

  • Marcin Taraszkiewicz
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      I am looking for good reference material on the coinage of Tigranes II minted in Antioch. Could anyone suggest one or more titles? Thank you.

      Best regards,

      Marcin

    • Oliver D. Hoover
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2005
        Marcin,

        While Bedoukian (1978) is a well known reference for the coinage of Tigranes
        II, he is largely superseded now by the following:

        1. The section on Tigranes in F. de Callatay, L'histoire des guerres
        mithridatiques vue par les monnaies (Louvain, 1997).

        2. Y.T. Nercessian, "Silver Coins of Tigranes II of Armenia" Armenian
        Numismatic Journal 26 (2000). This long article essentially builds on de
        Callatay's foundational die study for the Antioch series.

        3. A. Mousheghian and G. Depeyrot, Hellenistic and Roman Armenian Coinage
        (Wetteren, 1999). The authors dissent somewhat from the two preceding
        studies in that they remove some of the coins usually attributed to Antioch
        to an uncertain Syrian mint and to Tigranocerta.

        All of these recent works are in agreement (pace Bedoukian)that Antioch
        never issued any bronze coinage in the name of Tigranes.

        Tigranes' mints remain in general somewhat controversial, never mind his
        overstrikes, etc. Some of the problems with Tigranes are dealt with in
        passing in Seleucid Coins Part 2.

        Oliver D. Hoover

          I am looking for good reference material on the coinage of Tigranes II
          minted in Antioch. Could anyone suggest one or more titles? Thank you.

          Best regards,

          Marcin

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: seleukids@yahoogroups.com
          Subscribe: seleukids-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.yahoogroups.com/community/seleukids

          Ancient history A brief history of time

        • Oliver D. Hoover
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2005
            Marcin,

            SC Part 2 does not catalogue the Antioch issues of Tigranes, since these
            have already been well covered by de Callatay, Nercessian, et al. With
            respect to control marks, it does appear as if some of the earlier ones
            (i.e. those of the period Antiochus VIII-Antiochus X) are reprised on his
            Antioch issues.

            Oliver D. Hoover