Oborzus Coinage

  • Iossif Panos
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
      Dear members,

      I'm looking for a reference concerning the Oborzus
      coinage. In an article published by A.D.H. Bivar, in
      "Iranica Antiqua" 40 (2005), the author studies the
      reverse of a coin (in a private collection) by without
      mentionning the editio princeps, not even the obverse!

      Short description : Oborzus (Middle Persian Whwbrz)
      coinage; from Persis, drachma, showing on the reverse
      the slaughter of an armed Greek cleruch ("Mithraic
      hold") by a figure in the costume of the Achaemenid
      king.

      Thank you

      Panos

    • Oliver D. Hoover
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
        Panos,

        I think you are looking for M. Alram’s article in Litterae Numismaticae
        Vindobonensis 3 (1987), pp. 145-155. However, I would be very careful using
        this coin as evidence because of the several (serious to my mind) problems
        raised by Alram with respect to authenticity. The coin is also briefly
        described and remarked upon on in B. Kritt’s The Early Seleucid Mint of Susa
        (1997).

        Oliver D. Hoover

        _____

        I'm looking for a reference concerning the Oborzus
        coinage. In an article published by A.D.H. Bivar, in
        "Iranica Antiqua" 40 (2005), the author studies the
        reverse of a coin (in a private collection) by without
        mentionning the editio princeps, not even the obverse!

        Short description : Oborzus (Middle Persian Whwbrz)
        coinage; from Persis, drachma, showing on the reverse
        the slaughter of an armed Greek cleruch ("Mithraic
        hold") by a figure in the costume of the Achaemenid
        king.

        Thank you

        Panos

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.yahoogroups.com/community/seleukids

        Ancient
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ancient+history&w1=Ancient+history&c=1&
        s=21&.sig=iOk60NuKwAhASIZLiOzq5A> history

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "seleukids
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/seleukids> " on the web.