Pantaleon - back to scratch!

  • egil4870
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2005
      Sigh!

      I regret to say that all my thoughts on the Bactrian king Pantaleon
      have come to nothing - due to the fact that I don't read French, I
      suppose. For years, I have searched all available bases on the net, but
      nobody has ever mentioned this coin of Pantaleon, which belonged to the
      collection of Bopearachi whose books are published in French. You can
      find it on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:KingPantaleon.jpg

      The coin shows a diademed king in a pose similar to Euthydemus I, with
      Zeus - the family deity of the Euthydemids - on the reverse, even
      holding a miniature of Nike like on the coins of Agathocles (though
      Zeus is standing on the latters coin, not sitting).

      So: Pantaleon did strike coins with a portrait, and he did probably
      belong to the Euthydemid dynasty. In that case he should be the brother
      of Demetrius I - chronological reasons exclude him from being the son.
      And with the close association between Agathocles and Pantaleon - the
      latter was probably a third brother and not a usurper.