48220Re: [SeattleRobotics] Better robot chassis/system?

  • robotMaker
    Feb 5, 2014

      This is my chassis for my autonomous carpet walkingBot ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/96504930@N02 ) that I mentioned in a previous post. I'm still not finished with it since these photos, but have added refinements to the chassis, and almost ready to bring together the software pieces. I'm using a used Android cell phone for the main controller or brains, and via BT I control a BabyUrangutan board (from pololu.com), that controls the motors (no servos for now), and audio IO and other simple IOs. I plan to use the camera built in the phone for "machine vision". I'm using a Basic Interpreter Android App available from googleplay.com. It has everything that I need to access the Android built in sensors, such as the accelerometer, compass, camera, audio output, wifi, gps and display. I've found that used Android Cell phones on the web can be found for $20 and up. For my Android control software in Basic, I plan to use an Event driven Deterministic Finite State Automata. At this time I'm not planning to use GPS or WIFI. The "getEvent" sub will do most of the work in getting the events to bump the State Machine states. For the vision part of the "getEvent" sub, I was planning on breaking up the image to a course 124x124 pixles, and using perhaps the Open Source code from the AVRcam software for image processing. But I'm sure that you're looking for a better performing image processing software that I'm using for navigation and other skills. Right?

      From: Cory Cross <crcross@...>
      To: "SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com" <SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:16 AM
      Subject: [SeattleRobotics] Better robot chassis/system?

      Hi All,

      I want a small robot capable of SLAM; basic video capture, processing,
      and transmitting; and following me, all for a low per-unit cost and
      minimal time investment before I can program the desired behaviors. And
      something I can use to collaborate and share software with others.

      My plan is:
      1. Android phone: available cheap used; has camera, wifi, and power
      built-in; sufficient bandwidth to stream video to another device;
      sufficient power for basic video algorithms and path planning;
      sufficient memory & processing for SLAM; running ROS
      2. Pre-made chassis w/ wheel encoders:
      Plus four fixed-position IR distance sensor added on to assist SLAM &
      four whiskers to sense collisions

      (A future chassis would be roughly similar, but with better specs: more
      accurate encoders, stronger & faster motors, etc)

      Anything I've overlooked that would be better?

      Visit the SRS Website at http://www.seattlerobotics.orgYahoo Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: