48219Better robot chassis/system?

  • Cory Cross
    Feb 4, 2014
      Hi All,

      I want a small robot capable of SLAM; basic video capture, processing,
      and transmitting; and following me, all for a low per-unit cost and
      minimal time investment before I can program the desired behaviors. And
      something I can use to collaborate and share software with others.

      My plan is:
      1. Android phone: available cheap used; has camera, wifi, and power
      built-in; sufficient bandwidth to stream video to another device;
      sufficient power for basic video algorithms and path planning;
      sufficient memory & processing for SLAM; running ROS
      2. Pre-made chassis w/ wheel encoders:
      http://usd.dx.com/product/arduino-compatible-bluetooth-controlled-robot-car-kits-901146418
      Plus four fixed-position IR distance sensor added on to assist SLAM &
      four whiskers to sense collisions

      (A future chassis would be roughly similar, but with better specs: more
      accurate encoders, stronger & faster motors, etc)

      Anything I've overlooked that would be better?

      Thanks,
      Cory
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic