Annual Meeting results

  • tirmanque
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
      The annual meeting of the Seattle Petanque Club, held this past
      Sunday at Belle Pastry, resulted in the re-election of the 2007
      officers and Board of Directors, and was followed by four brisk (in
      both senses of the word) games of petanque in the park.

      One idea, mooted last year but reconsidered this year and passed, is
      to try to promote more play among members with some informal
      tournaments with a "cagnotte" or "pot" of entry fees to be
      redistributed to winners, and including a "melée" or "panache" format
      which would pair more experienced and less experienced players on
      teams, which has been quite popular in Portland. Another idea, to be
      tried out, is to promote more tournament participation in Portland,
      where there are many more players and competitions, by funding "gas
      money" for carpools of two or more SPC members who carpool to
      participate in PPC tournaments, at $10 per player -- so four players
      carpooling could cover their gas costs for a Sunday outing. This
      should give members some immediate benefit returns for their
      membership and the money earned in club tournaments. First tryout of
      this idea will be this weekend, on March 9th: how many takers for
      carpooling to Portland? Two and possibly three-four so far!

      There is now one, and quite possibly two, demonstration petanque
      events planned for the Januik/Novelty Hill Winery in Woodinville.
      The first, on May 18, will need at least two experienced players to
      run a tournament for the Parents' Association of the French-American
      School of Puget Sound. A second, to be hosted by the winery itself,
      is planned for July, as a demonstration or mini-tournament to
      coincide with a food and wine event to showcase their Rhone-style
      wines. More on that one later, as we will need to coordinate dates
      with the rather full schedule in July (weekends of Independence day;
      Bastille Day; FPUSA Regional Doubles and warmup the weekend before).
      We need also to plan our 13th Annual "Henri Jouval" and fit in other
      club events. Help with ideas and planning would be much appreciated.

      JOhn H.
    • ourmaninparis
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
        John,
        Thanks for the message.

        It is my plan to play in Portland on Sunday.  I have asked a novice player to join us, since the tourney is 'open'.  I await his response.  If he declines, then there is room for one carpooler in my pick-up truck. I'll send a follow-up message later about it.

        Has a date been set for the Henri Jouval tournament?
        John, when will you be abroad?
        Regards, GC
        tirmanque <J_Hunt@...> wrote:
[...]

      • John Hunt
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
          Greg,

          There's room in my car for 2-3, at this moment, so I can maybe meet you somewhere Sunday morning, if your passenger cancels -- maybe even somewhere near the ferry terminal in Seattle, if that works.

          Heather and I will be gone May 5 - June 5; I'm looking at possible dates for the Henri Jouval - I would like to try to avoid Seafair week, so the Portlanders can get a motel room, but the calendar is already tight in July and August.  I need to find out what Jack has planned for Bastille Day weekend; maybe we could have a tournament then and just an info booth at their event -- remains to be seen.

          John
        • ourmaninparis
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2008
            John, My friend Lee, a novice player, has agreed to
            play in the open tourney in Portland. He has played
            at Bellevue once and 'got the hang of it'. He is an
            accomplished bowler so knows about team play, putting
            english on the ball, etc. With the proper twisting of
            his arm, we may get a new member out of the trip.
            Anyway, we're driving down on Saturday afternoon. See
            you Sunday. Bon fortune. Thanks, G Conyers
            --- John Hunt <J_Hunt@...> wrote:

            > Greg,
            >
            > There's room in my car for 2-3, at this moment, so I
            > can maybe meet you somewhere Sunday morning, if your
            > passenger cancels -- maybe even somewhere near the
            > ferry terminal in Seattle, if that works.
            >
            > Heather and I will be gone May 5 - June 5; I'm
            > looking at possible dates for the Henri Jouval - I
            > would like to try to avoid Seafair week, so the
            > Portlanders can get a motel room, but the calendar
            > is already tight in July and August. I need to find
            > out what Jack has planned for Bastille Day weekend;
            > maybe we could have a tournament then and just an
            > info booth at their event -- remains to be seen.
            >
            > John

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • chnthvsy
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2008
              John - Greg
              There is a change in my schedule. Originally, I was going to drive to
              Longview, deliver a car to my son and then ride with you guys to
              Potrtland and then return to Tacoma with you guys as well. Last night,
              my son came up from Longview and he is picking up the car today. What
              it means is that I can plan to carpool with you guys BOTH WAYS. I
              would suggest meeting at the Tacoma Dome park and ride if someone has
              to leave a vehicle unattended. It is about 3 minutes off the freeway.
              It is a covered parking garage. It has surveillance camera...security.
              If that could be the option, please let me know. You have my phone.

              John C.

              --- In seattlepetanqueclub@yahoogroups.com, "John Hunt" <J_Hunt@...>
              wrote:

              > Greg,
              >
              > There's room in my car for 2-3, at this moment, so I can maybe meet
              you somewhere Sunday morning, if your passenger cancels -- maybe even
              somewhere near the ferry terminal in Seattle, if that works.

              > Heather and I will be gone May 5 - June 5; I'm looking at possible
              dates for the Henri Jouval - I would like to try to avoid Seafair
              week, so the Portlanders can get a motel room, but the calendar is
              already tight in July and August. I need to find out what Jack has
              planned for Bastille Day weekend; maybe we could have a tournament
              then and just an info booth at their event -- remains to be seen.

              > John

            • tirmanque
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
                The Seattle Petanque Club had a pretty full house at its annual
                meeting, with 10 members attending, a pretty good turnout for a rainy
                Sunday. John Hunt was re-elected president, Greg Conyers elected vice-
                president and Gary Bigham moved from Vice president to
                Secretary/Treasurer. Among other business items, it was voted
                unanimously to continue funding the "Carpool Gas Money" for out-of-town
                tournaments, so new members remember, this is a return on your
                investment and another reason to hone your skills against the Portland
                Petanque Club!

                Going over the 2009 calendar, FPUSA and Portland tournaments, along
                with holiday weekends, have crowded the summer calendar already, so
                that the possible dates for the annual "Henry Jouval" tournament are
                likely to be either August 23rd (first choice) or August 9th (second
                choice). We need to check the City of Bellevue's calendar of events at
                the Downtown Park before firming up a date, so as not to be blind-sided
                by an improbable event such as last year's "Seafair"(it was one month
                before Seafair) "Seattle"(in Bellevue)marathon! More later.

                seven of the ten attendees proved there serious player status by
                staying on to play three games in the park, the last one in steady
                rain. Good practice for the next Portland tournament, an
                open "panache" in two weeks (3/15). Our members took two of the four
                places in last year's event, so let's think about some carpools.

                FPUSA's quarterly newsletter is now available to read in PDF format:
                http://www.usapetanque.org/FPUSA_Spring_Edition_-_The_Score.pdf