Back from Amboise, France

  • tirmanque
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
      While my wife studied intensive French for 5 weeks, I did the
      housework in the "Gîte", the shopping and cooking in the mornings,
      and spent about 4 hours every afternoon at the "Association Sports
      et Loisirs de Maletrenne-Plaisance" in Amboise, better known as the
      local pétanque club. The misfortune of raymond, one of the two good
      shooters in the early-birds group that started at 2 PM (i. e., the
      older, retired guys, like myself) was my fortune. He and another
      shooters generally captained the first two triplettes to start
      playing against each other. At the end of the first week, Raymond
      pulled a groin muscle and I was asked to fill in as a team lead
      shooter. I worked hard at it, and generally got in 4 weeks of
      intensive shooting practice. Incidentally, it took all of 10
      minutes of solo practice, the first day, to get invited to play. At
      the end of the 5 weeks, I traded a Portland Pétanque Club T-shirt to
      the opposing shooter for an ASLMP Polo shirt.

      We'will need to get some of us together soon to start making
      plansfor next year, and to set up for membership renewals by the end
      of the year, as the FPUSA says that a late fee of $5 may be charged
      if we are tardy. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

      John H.
    • James tierney
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2005
        John-

        how would you rate the players you were with? would
        they clean up in Seattle/Portland? or did you give
        them a run for their money?

        PS
        I found a friend in the Comp Lit department her who
        does French lit stuff- also is a superb pointer and
        tenacious competitor. So i haven't been totally off
        petanque. Looking forward to getting back with you
        guys too. Have a look at the Michigan site when you
        get a chance. Jim