Kicking off the year 2011

  • John Hunt
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2011
      Eight of us ushered the year 2010 out, playing two hours of excellent petanque at the Edmonds park.  The sun was out and warmed us enough, with no wind.  The ground was hard but interesting to play on, and Michelle shared out some "Little Hotties" handwarmers.  The view of the brilliant white Olympic Range from the park is spectacular!

      The first FPUSA official competition of 2011 has been announced:  the 2011 National Singles, for both Men and Women, will be on Saturday, January 22nd, and the National Mixed Triples on the following day, all in Boca Raton, Florida.  So whether you want to go singly or as a team, a good chance for a sunbreak, two months earlier than the Acadiana (unofficial) Tournament in Lafayette, LA in March.  Anyone interested in the tournament[s] in Boca Raton, please post here or e-mail J_Hunt@..., for more information and/or registration forms.  You will be allowed to compete on the basis of your 2010 FPUSA Membership Cards, and need not have yet paid your 2011 dues when you register for this tournament.

      John
    • Rick Fuson
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2011
        Greetings,

        Anyone up for a game at Bellevue Park today?
        I'll be there for awhile.

        Rick Fuson

        To: seattlepetanqueclub@yahoogroups.com
        From: J_Hunt@...
        Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 15:59:12 -0800
        Subject: [seattlepetanqueclub] Kicking off the year 2011

      • ericjouval@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2011

          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

          From: "John Hunt" <J_Hunt@...>
          Sender: seattlepetanqueclub@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 15:59:12 -0800
          To: Seattle Petanque Club<seattlepetanqueclub@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: seattlepetanqueclub@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        • Chris Guitton
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011

            8 key members of the Edmonds Club will hold their first official meeting from 1 to 2 PM that day.

            I will be at Edmonds Civic Playfield at 2:00PM, if the weather is nice.

            With a copy of this email, I am alerting all players on my (confidential) list, including you, Lee, and inviting them to join me there. J

            Chris Guitton
            Tel (425) 776-1404
            admin@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
              Perhaps, we can schedule some games Sunday morning at 10am in Edmonds then?  Any thoughts /  takers?

              Lee

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011

                January 04, 2010

                Nowithstanding my last weather gaffe 47 degrees F. which turned out to be 37, my bad! You should all know that we’ll get a cold front and possibly light flurries starting Sunday with highs of 41 and lows of 32 deg. This, by itself should not detract the hearty souls that made it last Friday morning in Edmonds. Not a problem if you intend to play on the gravel-covered court. The soccer field was another thing altogether, where in warmer days we could count on the soft ground to buttress a well executed plombee, the ground of the soccer field, in the cold,  turned to virtual concrete. One had to really pay attention to the terrain in order to gauge where your boule would go… left or right? Seldom straight.

                I guess we have a choice:  Edmonds on Sunday morning at 10:00 AM or Bellevue Sunday afternoon at around 1:00 PM?

                I may stay close to home in Bellevue this weekend unless plenty of hot chocolate is served in Edmonds.

                Philippe

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011

                  Edmonds on Sunday seems to be concentrating on a meeting in the afternoon to discuss formation of their new petanque club.  Does that mean there would not be the usual Saturday 10AM boules at Edmonds?  I think not.  We SPC members could play then on Saturday at Edmonds and Sunday at Bellevue.

                  John
                • Lee Harris
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                    If the weather has possibilites of being nasty, I'd prefer to stay closer to home and that means Bellevue.

                    So, that's 3 so far?

                    John, when will our Seattle meeting be coming up?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                      Sounds good John, I'll be in Bellevue on Sunday.

                      And I for one, can't make Edmonds / Saturday play, just fyi. Errands, and then the Seahawks are playing at 1pm against the Saints.....

                      Lee

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011

                        As I noted in my year-end "Please let me know if you are going to renew for 2011" posting (which some of you seem to have ignored, so far)  the annual meeting will, as specified in the Bylaws, be held on the first Sunday in March, i.e., March 6th.  Hem, hem.    John
                      • Lee Harris
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                          What time sounds good for Sunday?

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011

                            Good time for Sunday would be about Noon or 1PM; majority chooses. (And weather permitting).  We can always re-post on Friday or Saturday, when weekend weather is more apparent.  Any suggestions from the long-dormant, Saturday-at-Cal-Anderson crowd??    John
                          • Rick Fuson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 5, 2011

                              To: seattlepetanqueclub@yahoogroups.com
                              From: J_Hunt@...