A lovely End-of-Season Sunday

  • tirmanque
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
      Well, we may yet have a few crisp Saturdays or Sundays that will bring out the fanatics for a few games, but the Portland Melée on Sunday was great, with enough sunshine to warm us up after the first round (and a great selection of dishes in the potluck lunch -- special thanks to Lee's friend Sooni for the delicious pot-stickers). Six of us made the trip down to play, drawing for partners to make up the 11 doubles teams which competed. New Seattle member Manh had a lucky draw -- Pierre Agnesse, but held up his end brilliantly as they won 1st place with 5 straight wins. Manh, as well as the rest of us, are looking forward to his joining us next year to take home more awards from Portland!

      Lee and Duong also did well, but had to battle each other's teams for third place. John C., John H. and Gary had to watch from the sidelines as our three other club members battled for the bottles of wine.

      Any ideas for a members-only, end-of-the-season event in Seattle?
    • Philippe Geraud
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
        John:

        Did you ever get any response regarding an end of season event for the 2009 season?

        As an idea: we could arrange a dinner somewhere on a date that will allow everyone to attend, perhaps in early December, where we could discuss upcoming tournaments. We could get members thinking about which tournaments they can or cannot attend.

        We are really coming along as a club and have some excellent players in our group. It would be great to establish a dialogue with some of our members regarding strategy and how we can improve our game so we could make even more of an impact next year.

        The dinner could either be a potluck at someone's house or at a restaurant somewhere where we pay for our own. That's just an idea though I'm sure there are other ways to mark the end of the season.

        Last year I remember that we were able to play through Thanksgiving but this year the weather is not giving us much of an opportunity to extend the season. I would not mind playing more games as long as it's at least 50 deg F. and dry.

        Philippe

        My only

[...]

      • chnthvsy
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
          I like Philippe's suggestion....Plus - when we are together, I would like to suggest "exchange of techiques". Let us say someone is willing to learn how to shoot...what is the suggested or corrective posture to adopt ? How to hold a boule ? how to toss it ? maybe a suggestion could help improve that individual's skill - slow down, take your time and learn to communicate more when playing with a teammate - think of the strategy before wasting a boule etc.... Of course everyone has his/her own technique or approach and of course if one is not willing to listen to his or her own partner...then that is a waste of effort.....for what it is worth, that is my input.

          John C.