inequity

  • Kate Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2009

      Inequity is a dominant theme of land use planning and patterns in Seattle .  There is no equalizing tool (yet) that would assure that the basics for human habitat and public utility and transportation infrastructure accompany growth.  Occasionally there is a pro-active provision for the necessities that must accompany growth, but usually there is a complete disregard for them.  Sometimes a bond or levy comes around that is mostly not tied to equity or equalization.  Anything not on a levy isn't even considered.  Levies cannot and as we can see, do not, take the place of metering resources to build and maintain our city on a continuous basis.

      Equity is not really who we have at the meetings to check an outreach box.   It’s leveling the playing field infrastructure-wise with sustainable and replicable funding solutions that combine  private and public capital investments and then it’s a commitment to maintain those investments.  Eliminate any way for one to move around in Seattle thinking, oh, now I’m in a “bad” neighborhood because it’s actually much smarter & cheaper to just make sure they’re all pretty good.   Good public schools / public education is the key there.   I’ve always been against Charter Schools as I’d just like to fix the really dysfunctional bureaucracy failing to deliver from the John Stanford Center for Education Excellence, but I’m willing to concede that since these folk are deep into a school reform model that is from a previous century, it may be time to just go around them.

      Growth without the basics like safety, good schools, strong walkable business districts, family habitat, lifetime accessibility, community identity, great sidewalks, parks, & other public spaces, recreation opportunities, good jobs, great transit, forest habitat, salmon bearing creeks, etc. that need to accompany it is unhealthy, unsafe, and unwise.  The basics must not be used as political ploys or power plays either.  They should not be politicized at all, yet they are time and again in Seattle .  Power should be something that makes the equity happen not prevent it.

      Soon tools will be available to analyze existing neighborhood plans and prepare for updates.  I am hopeful that the tools will help illuminate the disparities we see throughout the city and that we'll get to work on defining, measuring, and evaluating the essential components of growth.  I am also hopeful that we'll insist that those components work in unison not in isolation.   As we can see, it's not feasible, practical, or sustainable to grow housing units with no attention to the other components.   Doing so creates 3rd world conditions which I see in every direction I turn in Seattle and I am disappointed and embarrassed that my government can't do better.   I’ll assume for a moment that in this case the people are coming as close to being the government as possible.  Abandon the status quo.   Be the government you want to see in this city.

      -Kate

      K A T E    M A R T I N
      Site Planning     Design     Construction Coordination
      Office (206) 783-6538   Cell (206) 579-3703
      katemartin@...

    • Denise Gloster
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2009
        Thanks so much Kate. I often very much appreciate your perception and perspective on these issues. Also, I am grateful to you for participating and giving of your time to serve Seattle communities!

        Denise Gloster, President
        Hillman City Business Association
        206.723.4637
        206.795.5824