RE: Fremont Ave N

  • Kate Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008

      Thank you for your response Eric.

      It may be useful to look at the amount of paving for vehicular movement and parking of vehicles before you start balancing your impervious surface calculations and natural drainage needs with inadequate provisions in the way of pedestrian infrastructure.

      I don’t see drivers of cars being asked to navigate through natural drainage swales and bark as pavement to make the drainage calculations work.  It seems like it’s just pedestrians paying the price.  Pedestrians, who at best are getting 10 – 20% of any street right of way while the vehicles get 60% and sometimes more should not be paying the price.  We want people out of cars, so let’s put our money where our mouths are.

      Note the examples around the club that illustrate the failure of the solution proposed by SDOT.

      Disastrous planting strip at busy parking area just south of North Seattle Boys & Girls Club at Denise Hunt

      Another non-navigable disastrous planting strip along N 87th adjacent to North Seattle Boys & Girls Club. Note the busted up extruded curbs as well.  Just a few years old and trashed.

      Another non-navigable disastrous planting strip along Evanston across from North Seattle Boys & Girls Club at Greenwood Park .  This one is a fake drainage swale that actually has a sewer inlet at the low point.

      We simply need a small strip of curbside paving and some places to get across the planting strip without trampling tree roots, plants, chips, mud, dog doo or whatever else.  And we want to take the crime-prone area around the club and suggest other behavior.  The park-like plantings in the strip from Denise Hunt past the club is an opportunity to do it and has community support.  We must look beyond capital projects into the realm of maintenance and beyond.  Traipsing through plantings and bark chips and calling it pedestrian circulation doesn't work.  This is not practical and is not what we discussed at early meetings last spring when a couple of Boys & Girls Club reps and a Greenwood Community Council rep met with Sandra and Therese.

      This is a Neighborhood Street Fund Project!  And it’s way over due from when it should have gone in.  It should be a project driven by neighborhood needs.  We need a way to create a park-like environment along the sidewalk, a way to protect the plantings, facilitate the maintenance, and a navigable way to get across natural drainage planting strips.  We need agency support for this idea of a park like planting strip and a way for people to actually get to the passenger doors to load / unload kids, and more.

      The location of the Boys & Girls Club and Greenwood Park make this a very important route in our neighborhood.  Additionally, it abuts the Urban Village boundary and in doing so should not be interpreted as just any residential street.  This is a prime bike & pedestrian connector in Greenwood .  And the Boys & Girls Club is the only youth facility in our entire neighborhood.  Greenwood Park is one of our only open spaces.

      When planting strips became plant material other than turf grass, the idea of needing curbside paving became intuitive as can be witnessed from one end of Seattle to the other.  Why do I feel like I’m trying to convince SDOT there’s an obvious problem when people are solving the problem everywhere.  Why can’t we seem to solve it on an agency level?

      As I documented in a former email, the conditions that you create with you’re your non-solutions are unsightly, inaccessible, and impractical even in lightly trampled planting strips.  In addition, they create a maintenance nightmare.

      I'm really tired of seeing us get the dregs when it comes to infrastructure in Greenwood and certainly I'm tired of pedestrian infrastructure taking a hit to balance the unbridled and voracious use of the right of way by vehicles.  Look around the blocks surrounding this area and you can see that the failure of the solution you propose abounds. (See photos included here.)

      I have asked 3 times for examples of where the solutions you propose work and I've gotten nothing.  I submitted many pictures of how it doesn't work in our neighborhood.

      I have offered to negotiate additional right of way from the Boys & Girls Club so that the pavement area requested can be balanced with more natural drainage area which would solve the drainage calculations problem.

      We simply don't need the ghetto results your solutions provide in this location. (Again, take a look at the pictures.)   I would also like to note that the maintenance of this strip would be on the Boys & Girls Club, so leaving a mess for them to deal with in the way of bark as circulation and trampled plants is pat hetic.  And that’s just what you’ve already left them on N 87th St .

      Let's stick to the original plan and what we set out to achieve.

      I would like to schedule an on-site visit to see all the disastrous conditions in the environs of this location firsthand since my photos seems not enough.  Please advise as to your earliest convenience.  I have included SPU folks in this email because we all need to solve this together.

      Again, let’s not throw the baby out with the surface water.  This is workable if we work together.

      Kate Martin, Club Friend, North Seattle Boys & Girls Club, Greenwood Community Council President

      Kate Martin

      office (206) 783-6538

      cell (206) 579-3703

      fax (206) 706-1528