steering committee?

  • Kate Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2007

      It’s been 2 weeks since the last PMPAG meeting and I’ve not received any calls or email about steering committee meetings.    I’m wondering at what interval the steering committee plans to meet.  It seems like bi-weekly meetings perhaps one week after PMPAG and 2 weeks after that would be a minimal and practical interval.

      Additionally, I asked for  a disclosure from SDOT concerning work they have done, are currently doing, or plan to do or have outsourced that is relevant to the Pedestrian Master Planning Process i.e. data collection, consultant scoping, RFQs, etc. even if that work is being paid for by funds other than Pedestrian Master Plan funds.   I have not gotten anything back from that request yet.

      Also, since some work seems to be moving ahead from the SDOT end, I’m wondering if we’re all approaching the project from the same perspective.   Has the interagency group, SDOT, the executive, and others taken the same steps to begin this process as PMPAG or has there been a leap frogging over that foundation work?  Is PMPAG stuck in first gear while others move ahead in the process?   It would be great if we all were on the same page and in the same time zone so to speak.   If we already are, then it would be good to see evidence of that.

      It took me about 10 hours to read the CSS (Context Sensitive Solutions) CD that came in our PMPAG notebooks.  It was a very impressive and encouraging document.  I believe there is great need to work in a cross boundary collaborative style and I’d like to see at the very least that PMPAG efforts, SDOT efforts, and any other efforts by agencies or others be reciprocally transparent even if they are parallel in lieu of collaborative.

      Also, I’m curious to know if the consultant has more or less already been selected or if the RFQ by nature will essentially describe something that narrows the field to one.  I’m in favor of parsing out the scope to bring a variety of firms in.  Data collection could most certainly be distributed around.  Similarly, developing systems solutions could be almost competitive in that different multi-disciplinary teams could draft systems solutions for our review.  It would be good to bring a lot of minds in on it like a design competition, but it would be a walkability competition.  Something like….here’s the tools, now what the most creative, effective, economical, etc. ways to implement   them?   Getting those ideas from a variety of different firms and collaborative firm ventures would benefit us.

      -Kate

      This discussion group is open to anyone.  Please forward if there are others in your community who would like to discuss the Pedestrian Master Plan.

      _____________

      Kate Martin

      office (206) 783-6538

      cell (206) 579-3703

      katemartin@...

    • Lisa Herbold
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2007
        HI Kate - any response to your questions here? Please do let me know if you'd like me to check in with SDOT. In the alternative, I could rewrite your questions here as my own, send them to Traci Ratzliff (Central Staff) and ask her to get their answers for me as Nick's staff. For what it's worth, I've begun to hear Traci identify these same issues...

        >>> "Kate Martin" <katemartin@...> 9/7/2007 9:28 AM >>>
        It's been 2 weeks since the last PMPAG meeting and I've not received any
        calls or email about steering committee meetings. I'm wondering at what
        interval the steering committee plans to meet. It seems like bi-weekly
        meetings perhaps one week after PMPAG and 2 weeks after that would be a
        minimal and practical interval.

        Additionally, I asked for a disclosure from SDOT concerning work they have
        done, are currently doing, or plan to do or have outsourced that is relevant
        to the Pedestrian Master Planning Process i.e. data collection, consultant
        scoping, RFQs, etc. even if that work is being paid for by funds other than
        Pedestrian Master Plan funds. I have not gotten anything back from that
        request yet.

        Also, since some work seems to be moving ahead from the SDOT end, I'm
        wondering if we're all approaching the project from the same perspective.
        Has the interagency group, SDOT, the executive, and others taken the same
        steps to begin this process as PMPAG or has there been a leap frogging over
        that foundation work? Is PMPAG stuck in first gear while others move ahead
        in the process? It would be great if we all were on the same page and in
        the same time zone so to speak. If we already are, then it would be good
        to see evidence of that.

        It took me about 10 hours to read the CSS (Context Sensitive Solutions) CD
        that came in our PMPAG notebooks. It was a very impressive and encouraging
        document. I believe there is great need to work in a cross boundary
        collaborative style and I'd like to see at the very least that PMPAG
        efforts, SDOT efforts, and any other efforts by agencies or others be
        reciprocally transparent even if they are parallel in lieu of collaborative.

        Also, I'm curious to know if the consultant has more or less already been
        selected or if the RFQ by nature will essentially describe something that
        narrows the field to one. I'm in favor of parsing out the scope to bring a
        variety of firms in. Data collection could most certainly be distributed
        around. Similarly, developing systems solutions could be almost competitive
        in that different multi-disciplinary teams could draft systems solutions for
        our review. It would be good to bring a lot of minds in on it like a design
        competition, but it would be a walkability competition. Something
        like..here's the tools, now what the most creative, effective, economical,
        etc. ways to implement them? Getting those ideas from a variety of
        different firms and collaborative firm ventures would benefit us.

        -Kate

        This discussion group is open to anyone. Please forward if there are others
        in your community who would like to discuss the Pedestrian Master Plan.

        To join this discussion group visit
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/seattlepedestrianmasterplan/

        Kate Martin

        office (206) 783-6538