Re: [seattle_homebrewers] Brewing in a pumpkin

  • alibabagrl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
      Thanks for the pictures on brewing in a pumpkin.  I must do that one of these days.
      We went to the Elysians Pumpkin fest on the 20th and got to watch Dick and a few of the brewers get the pumpkin ready for the following Saturday.  Like Mark said, they char the inside. They only use the giant pumpkin for the secondary fermentation and have found that it can loose it's carbonation if kept in the pumpkin for two weeks, one week works better, he said.  After filling with the brew, they paint hot wax around the opening and the lid and then coat the seam with wax, also.

      It was a fascinating novelty.  I hope to attend next year, too.

      The 14 pumpkin ales we tried were fascinating.  What a variety!  One was smokey, another heavily spiced, another dark and malty.  Only a few had a good, strong pumpkin flavor--in most of them the pumpkin was fairly subdued.  Dogfish Head's was wonderful, and the Elysian's Great Pumpkin was probably my favorite--very full and malty with a lovely Belgian yeast, I think.  There was one with a crazy name starting with a P that Mark loved--something like Portalopolousness.  Maybe I'll be  able to find the pumpkin fest beer list when I get the skeleton, the pumpkins, the bones and the fortune teller off my  desk.  Mark hopes to bring his pumpkin ale and probably the sour port brown to the next meeting, where/when ever it may be.
      Our jack-o'-lanterns are wilting, it's such a sad site.
      Happy brewing.
      Ali

      See what's new at http://www.aol.com