Puget Sound Pro-Am Competition

  • markfreon
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hello all,

      I've been working with a bunch of clubs in the Puget Sound to throw
      together a new and very unique competition. Last year the Great
      American Beer Festival opened a new category called the Pro-Am
      category which consisted of homebrew recipes from winning beers
      produced on professional brewery systems. Another club I'm in had
      my beer produced and submitted by the Kent Ram Brewery and it was a
      great time.

      The GABF is holding the competition again and we are opening this
      opportunity up to the whole Puget Sound. We are launching the Puget
      Sound Pro-Am competition where the beers which make it to the best
      of show round will be evaluated by several local breweries to be
      scaled up and brewed on their systems. So far, we've got:
      Ram Brewery
      Elysian Brewery
      Diamond Knot Brewery
      Powerhouse Brewery
      Harmon Brewery
      We are still waiting to hear back from a few more. I can safely
      say, never before have brewers had a chance to have their beer
      picked by this many breweries at one competition.

      The breweries have specified style restrictions which can be found
      on the competition website at www.bewbc.org/pro-am. The contest is
      still growing so check the site often.

      The entries are due on June 6th (at Larry's homebrew supply but we
      are working more drop-off arrangements) and are $5 per entry (three
      12 oz bottles). Judging will be on June 9th. AHA members have the
      opportunity to have their beer go onto the GABF (so join now!) But
      non-AHA members, don't worry, we have breweries who are still just
      interested in producing non-AHA beers which won't go to the GABF but
      will still be sold locally! (I still recommend joining the AHA.)

      At the end of the competition, we are looking at having an AHA rally
      release party that everyone will be invited to.

      I've talked with Bob, and what we need from all of you are:
      1. Entries, entries, entries!
      2. Help with organizing the event
      3. Judges (particularly if you are BJCP certified)

      So, start brewing (almost every style is acceptable by at least one
      brewery) and shoot me (markemiley@...) or Bob a message if
      you can help out! This should be an incredibly fun event and we
      just need some help with making it run smoothly.

      Thanks, and good luck,
      Mark