next meeting?

  • sheaforjoy
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 7, 2006
      Since the group at our house for the last North Seattle Homebrew club
      meeting was a little small, we didn't pick someone to host the next
      meeting. I appologize for the lapse in protocol. I'm going to be
      gone to Kansas for an extended Thanksgiving stay, but Mark was
      wondering if anyone was thinking they'd like to host the next meeting.
      -Alison
    • andy
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 7, 2006
        Well if is decided not to go to a brewpub, I can offer up my place. Located up in Shoreline
        near the Costco@N205th. Plenty of parking, the amber is on tap and the nitro stout should
        be ready for sampling as well. You might need to bring your own chair tho.

        Andy

      • joe@germani.org
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 8, 2006
          Andy,

          Thanks for offering to host the next meeting. I don't
          think anyone has worked out a brewpub meeting, so it looks
          like you've got it.

          You just need to pick a date and time. Since the last
          meeting was at the end of October, and we're already a
          week into November, I'd suggest we skip November and get
          back on our original schedule of the first Wednesday of
          the month. Of course, it's always host's prerogative, so
          pick a day that works well for you.

          Also, while on the topic, I'd like to solicit
          ideas/volunteers to arrange a meeting in the future at a
          brewpub. It's usually a matter of talking to one of the
          brewers (preferably) or a manager. It's important to make
          sure we can taste our own beer at the beginning, and let
          them know that we will buy their beer and dinner later on
          (they need to make a living too). If you have a good lead
          and aren't sure how to go about making it happen, I'm
          willing to help so let me know.

          Cheers,

          Joe

          On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 22:18:03 -0000
          "andy" <walthers@...> wrote:
          > Well if is decided not to go to a brewpub, I can offer
          >up my place. Located up in Shoreline
          > near the Costco@N205th. Plenty of parking, the amber is
          >on tap and the nitro stout should
          > be ready for sampling as well. You might need to bring
          >your own chair tho.
          >
          > Andy
          >
          > --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, "sheaforjoy"
          ><alibabagrl@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Since the group at our house for the last North Seattle
          >>Homebrew club
          >> meeting was a little small, we didn't pick someone to
          >>host the next
          >> meeting. I appologize for the lapse in protocol. I'm
          >>going to be
          >> gone to Kansas for an extended Thanksgiving stay, but
          >>Mark was
          >> wondering if anyone was thinking they'd like to host the
          >>next meeting.
          >> -Alison
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Kevin Klein
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 9, 2006
            What do you do with your spent grains? I used to
            compost them until the compost bin overflowed (the
            worms and tomatoes love them!) and then I made bread
            with them but there is only so much bread you can
            make. I have since sent them to a small, local,
            organic farm who really likes them as feed for their
            pigs.

            They actually come to my house to pick them up weekly
            so if you have extra spent grains that your are
            currently throwing in the yard waste bin or worse yet,
            garbage, let me know if you would like to pool them
            and send them to the farm as feed. I'm up in
            Greenwood, and we'd have to figure out transport of
            them. I'm just throwing this out to try to be a
            little more conscientious and get the most out of
            things. I figure if we pool a lot of smaller
            quantities it might make a dent in the amount of feed
            they need to buy.

            Also if you have any other ideas for uses let me know.

            Cheers.
            Kevin

            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            Access over 1 million songs.
            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
          • Taso Lyristis
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 9, 2006
              Another option is to freecycle them.
              will be glad to come pick up a batch. A couple months ago I offered
              some spent grain there and I was absolutely blown away that I got
              several responses.

              One of these days I am going to make a spent grain pizza crust.....

              Kevin Klein wrote:
              > What do you do with your spent grains? I used to
              > compost them until the compost bin overflowed (the
              > worms and tomatoes love them!) and then I made bread
              > with them but there is only so much bread you can
              > make. I have since sent them to a small, local,
              > organic farm who really likes them as feed for their
              > pigs.
              >
              > They actually come to my house to pick them up weekly
              > so if you have extra spent grains that your are
              > currently throwing in the yard waste bin or worse yet,
              > garbage, let me know if you would like to pool them
              > and send them to the farm as feed. I'm up in
              > Greenwood, and we'd have to figure out transport of
              > them. I'm just throwing this out to try to be a
              > little more conscientious and get the most out of
              > things. I figure if we pool a lot of smaller
              > quantities it might make a dent in the amount of feed
              > they need to buy.
              >
              > Also if you have any other ideas for uses let me know.
              >
              > Cheers.
              > Kevin

            • andy

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 9, 2006
                  The 1st and 2nd wednesday doesn't work too well with my schedule, so unless there are club member conflicts; I propose Tuesday Dec 05th as the meeting date.
                  any thoughts?
                  Andy

                  Andy
                  owner/photographer
                  Walthers Photography
                  206.550.2122
                  www.walthersphotography.com

                  "andy" <walthers@comcast.net> wrote:
                  > Well if is decided not to go to a brewpub, I can offer
                  >up my place. Located up in Shoreline
                  > near the Costco@N205th. Plenty of parking, the amber is
                  >on tap and the nitro stout should
                  > be ready for sampling as well. You might need to bring
                  >your own chair tho.
                  >
                  > Andy
                  >
                  > --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, "sheaforjoy"
                  ><alibabagrl@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Since the group at our house for the last North Seattle
                  >>Homebrew club
                  >> meeting was a little small, we didn't pick someone to
                  >>host the next
                  >> meeting. I appologize for the lapse in protocol. I'm
                  >>going to be
                  >> gone to Kansas for an extended Thanksgiving stay, but
                  >>Mark was
                  >> wondering if anyone was thinking they'd like to host the
                  >>next meeting.
                  >> -Alison
                  >>

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • alex wetmore
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 9, 2006
                    I can't do Tuesdays (or will be really late)...Wed works better for
                    me. Thursday or Monday would be fine too.

                    I'm sorry that I missed the last meeting, it sounded like it was going
                    to be a fun event. I had planned on going...

                    alex

                  • andy
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 9, 2006
                      Ok we will shoot for Monday Dec 04th 7pm at my house unless I get a overwhelming response of can't-make-its.  Unfortunately Wednesday's - Friday's during December are not even an option for me. tis the season...

                      On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, andy wrote:

                      > The 1st and 2nd wednesday doesn't work too well with my schedule, so unless
                      > there are club member conflicts; I propose Tuesday Dec 05th as the meeting
                      > date.
                      > any thoughts?
                      > Andy
                      >

                      > Andy
                      > owner/photographer
                      > Walthers Photography
                      > 206.550.2122
                      > www.walthersphotography.com
                      >
                      > On Nov 8, 2006, at 8:41 AM, <joe@germani.org> <joe@germani.org> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Andy,
                      >>
                      >> Thanks for offering to host the next meeting. I don't
                      >> think anyone has worked out a brewpub meeting, so it looks
                      >> like you've got it.
                      >>
                      >> You just need to pick a date and time. Since the last
                      >> meeting was at the end of October, and we're already a
                      >> week into November, I'd suggest we skip November and get
                      >> back on our original schedule of the first Wednesday of
                      >> the month. Of course, it's always host's prerogative, so
                      >> pick a day that works well for you.
                      >>
                      >> Also, while on the topic, I'd like to solicit
                      >> ideas/volunteers to arrange a meeting in the future at a
                      >> brewpub. It's usually a matter of talking to one of the
                      >> brewers (preferably) or a manager. It's important to make
                      >> sure we can taste our own beer at the beginning, and let
                      >> them know that we will buy their beer and dinner later on
                      >> (they need to make a living too). If you have a good lead
                      >> and aren't sure how to go about making it happen, I'm
                      >> willing to help so let me know.
                      >>
                      >> Cheers,
                      >>
                      >> Joe
                      >>
                      >> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 22:18:03 -0000
                      >> "andy" <walthers@comcast.net> wrote:
                      >>> Well if is decided not to go to a brewpub, I can offer
                      >>> up my place. Located up in Shoreline
                      >>> near the Costco@N205th. Plenty of parking, the amber is
                      >>> on tap and the nitro stout should
                      >>> be ready for sampling as well. You might need to bring
                      >>> your own chair tho.
                      >>>
                      >>> Andy
                      >>>
                      >>> --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, "sheaforjoy"

                      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • brer_rabbit_481
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 10, 2006
                        Don't forget that on Fri, Dec 1st that Big Time's Old Wooly is released...

                        -Kyle
                      • jerome
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 10, 2006
                          And on Sunday, Dec 3rd Jerome's band, Golden Pig Electric Blues Band, is playing at the Comet Tavern on Capitol Hill. They're on first, 9:30-ish or so, so stop by and check 'em out. You'll be home by 11 no problem.

                          cheese,
                          jerome

                        • alibabagrl@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 14, 2006

                            In a message dated 11/7/06 2:38:10 PM, walthers@... writes:

                            Andy,
                            What's your exact address?
                            -Ali

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 14, 2006
                              Oh yeah, that may be helpful.
                              address is:
                              20319 greenwood ave n
                              shoreline 98133

                              easiest way is to come up 99 or I-5 and head west on N205th.  It's the border of Snohomish and King counties so the road is also called 244th SW on the Snohomish side.  Turn left on Greenwood Ave N (just past hwy99 and look for the sign on the left side of the road only, (if you start to go downhill you have missed it) We are the 4th driveway on the right (right at the 25MPH sign).  The house in NOT the one on the street, it's behind another house and all you can see from the road is the garage, driveway goes downhill and is about 150 feet long.  There is space for 4-5 guest cars in the driveway and more if you want to block yourselves in, and plenty on the street.  Will try to remember to put out a sign or something.

                              questions?
                              206.550.2122
                              lookin forward to it.
                              Andy

                              On Nov 14, 2006, at 6:24 AM, alibabagrl@... wrote:

                              In a message dated 11/7/06 2:38:10 PM, walthers@comcast.net writes:

                              Andy,
                              What's your exact address?
                              -Ali

                              Well if is decided not to go to a brewpub, I can offer up my place. Located up in Shoreline
                              near the Costco@N205th. Plenty of parking, the amber is on tap and the nitro stout should
                              be ready for sampling as well. You might need to bring your own chair tho.

                              Andy

                            • Marc R. Menninger
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 14, 2006
                                Hi,

                                What normally happens at the monthly meetings? Does everyone bring their homebrews to sample? :^)

                                -Marc

                                > mapquest map here, may have to copy-n-paste the entire link below:
                                > http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?
                                > formtype=address&country=US&popflag=1&latlongtype=internal&latitude=92n2
                                > lLZGvW5w5GQK861Ipg%3D%3D&longitude=u0Fn17Qc83q8GFi17oSLBQ%3D%
                                > 3D&name=&phone=&level=ADDRESS&addtohistory=&cat=&address=20319
                                > +Greenwood+Ave+N&city=Shoreline&state=WA&zipcode=98133-3046#east
                                >
                                > easiest way is to come up 99 or I-5 and head west on N205th. It's
                                > the border of Snohomish and King counties so the road is also called
                                > 244th SW on the Snohomish side. Turn left on Greenwood Ave N (just
                                > past hwy99 and look for the sign on the left side of the road only,
                                > (if you start to go downhill you have missed it) We are the 4th
                                > driveway on the right (right at the 25MPH sign). The house in NOT
                                > the one on the street, it's behind another house and all you can see
                                > from the road is the garage, driveway goes downhill and is about 150
                                > feet long. There is space for 4-5 guest cars in the driveway and
                                > more if you want to block yourselves in, and plenty on the street.
                                > Will try to remember to put out a sign or something.
                                >
                                > questions?
                                > 206.550.2122
                                > lookin forward to it.
                                > Andy
                                >

                                > On Nov 14, 2006, at 6:24 AM, alibabagrl@... wrote:
                                >

                                > > In a message dated 11/7/06 2:38:10 PM, walthers@... writes:
                                > >

                                > > Andy,
                                > > What's your exact address?
                                > > -Ali
                                > >

                                > > Well if is decided not to go to a brewpub, I can offer up my place.
                                > > Located up in Shoreline
                                > > near the Costco@N205th. Plenty of parking, the amber is on tap and
                                > > the nitro stout should
                                > > be ready for sampling as well. You might need to bring your own
                                > > chair tho.
                                > >
                                > > Andy

                                ----- End Original Message -----
                              • alex wetmore
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 14, 2006
                                  On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Marc R. Menninger wrote:
                                  > What normally happens at the monthly meetings? Does everyone bring
                                  > their homebrews to sample? :^)

                                  Yup. We also talk about what we're planning on brewing, interesting
                                  techniques or gear, and other stuff. At a typical meeting just
                                  sampling 10+ beers and talking about them can take a lot of time.

                                  My favorites are often the "problem" beers because I feel like I learn
                                  a lot by hearing how others have solved similar problems.

                                  alex
                                • Tom Schmidlin
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 21, 2006

                                    Hi all, some of you know me and some do not, but I've been lurking in this group for a while.  I've never made it to one of your meetings, but I hope to.  At any rate, I'm contacting homebrew clubs in the Seattle area for a bit of help in bringing the National Homebrewers Conference to Seattle for 2009.

                                    At this point I don't need much, we are really early in the process. I am just trying to secure some support because I think it will lend strength to the bid. It would be great if I can let them know that your club is on board and will help throughout the process.

                                    The work that is going on right now consists of waiting for the AHA to update and send me some information. After that I'll be contacting hotels and such to get their bids on what it will cost to hold the events there. All of that gets turned over to the AHA, and they make the determination. There will likely be competing bids from other cities, so I want to make our bid look as attractive as possible.

                                    I don't need anyone to commit to anything specific right now, but the types of events that will need planning and staffing include:

                                    Wednesday night pub crawl - 2-3 buses hitting different bars/breweries in the area.

                                    Thursday night pro-brewers night - essentially your standard beer festival.

                                    Friday night club night - a beer festival but only homebrew is served.

                                    Competition - several days of judging.

                                    Speakers - organize who will present and everything surrounding that (rooms etc)

                                    Food - several meals are served that will all need to be organized and planned and staffed

                                    Hospitality suite - homebrew on tap from 11 am until 2 am every day. Different clubs serve their beers, so hopefully you'd brew for it but we also need someone to organize it all.

                                    Conference registration - someone to man the tables

                                    Booths for vendors - someone to organize

                                    Warehouse - we end up with lots of beer for all of the events, and someone will need to be in charge of keeping it cold and knowing where everything is. In Orlando they rented a refrigerated truck just to have enough space . . .

                                    As you can see there will be no lack of important jobs and we'll need a lot of volunteers, but I think it will be great to have it here in Seattle. If you think this is something that you and your club would like to help with, please just let me know.

                                    Tom Schmidlin

                                  • John Frum
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 22, 2006
                                      Yo Tom!

                                      You can count me in for helping out.  Put me on the list.  That would be killer to have it here.  I think many homebrewers would be more apt to leave their home state and attend a conference here because of the great reputation for Northwest ales.  I think it would be a smashing success.  Definitely better than Florida.

                                      John

                                      Sponsored Link

                                      Get an Online or Campus degree - Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's -in less than one year.
                                    • Marc R. Menninger
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 22, 2006
                                        I can't speak for the club but I'd be willing to lend a hand.

                                        -Marc

                                        ----- End Original Message -----
                                      • alibabagrl@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 22, 2009
                                          Does anyone want to host or set up the North Seattle Homebrewers meeting for early November?

                                          Hope to see you Saturday,
                                          Alison