December meeting

  • Thorcore
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hello Everybody,

      In the last two years I have hosted the December meeting here at Fremont brewing, and so I think I will do the same this year. I think I will have to change things up a little bit tho, as our hours have changed. I would like to have it on Sunday the 9th at 7 pm. Will that work for everyone? If not then Tuesday the 11th will work.

      As in the years past I would like to do the white elephant/bottle exchange thing. As well as holiday snack/ potluck thingy. So it should be a lot of fun! Let me know if Sunday will work and all make a final announcement in a day or two.

      Cheers,
      Thor
    • Steve Cartoon
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 1, 2012
        Ha! Considering I have jury duty the next day, I totally support this choice of date! A hangover might get me out of jury duty! What kind of snacks work best with the beer crowd?
      • alibabagrl@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
          I'd vote for Tuesday the 11th, but feel I dont' warrent much of a vote since I don't get to attend, often.
          Happy Brewing,
          Alison3.
        • Michael Harte
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
            Sunday, 12/9 sounds great. For the benefit of newer folks like myself, can we get a little more detail on the logistics of the "white elephant/bottle exchange thing"?

            - Mike

            On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM, <alibabagrl@...> wrote:

            I'd vote for Tuesday the 11th, but feel I dont' warrent much of a vote since I don't get to attend, often.
            Happy Brewing,
            Alison3.

          • bob yeaw
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
              Either day works for me - looking forward to it!

              I dug up the "Wit Elephant" rules from last year:

              THE GREAT NORTH SEATTLE HOMEBREW WIT ELEPHANT:

              1. Everyone who wishes to participate must contribute a gift, preferably wrapped. The theme is broadly defined as "Beer and/or Homebrewing" so anything beer or homebrewing related is good.  Got a good bottle or two in your cellar?  Spare equipment you're not using?  Something tasty from a bottle shop? Humorously shaped novelty-ware? Doesn't have to be expensive, but certainly feel free to try and impress others with your Roman-Emperor-like magnanimity if you'd like.  Hail Caesar.
              2. I'll make little slips of paper equal to the number of gifts with written numbers. Everyone draws one.
              3. On the first turn, the person with paper slip #1 chooses a gift, opens it, and all admire it. "Ohhhh!  Ahhhh!  It's everything I've ever wanted in life!  Existence is meaningless without it!"
              4. On the second turn, the guest with paper slip #2 gets the choice of "stealing" any unwrapped gift (i.e. #1's) or choosing a new wrapped one. If #2 steals #1's gift, then #1 must open a new wrapped gift.  "Mine now."  "FFFFFFUUUUUUU!!!  Oooh shiny..."
              5. On the third turn, the guest with paper slip #3 gets the choice of "stealing" any unwrapped gift (#1's or #2's) or choosing a wrapped one.

              The game continues based on the following:

              1. If a gift is stolen from you, you can steal another gift (within limits, described below), or open a new wrapped one.
              2. The turn proceeds until a new wrapped gift is chosen.
              3. A gift cannot be immediately stolen back from the guest who just stole it. (No tagbacks! You learned this in Kindergarten.)
              4. The fourth "owner" of a gift gets to keep it, i.e. the gift is "dead" after it has been stolen three times.
              5. "Owners" of "live" gifts must keep them visible and hold them up when requested.
              6. The gift exchange ends when the last wrapped gift is opened. Yes, unlike last year this one actually ends without my arbitrarily braying "Enough already!"

              On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Michael Harte <michael.harte@...> wrote:

              Sunday, 12/9 sounds great. For the benefit of newer folks like myself, can we get a little more detail on the logistics of the "white elephant/bottle exchange thing"?

              - Mike

              On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM, <alibabagrl@...> wrote:

              I'd vote for Tuesday the 11th, but feel I dont' warrent much of a vote since I don't get to attend, often.
              Happy Brewing,
              Alison3.

            • Joe Germani
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012

                I could make either day, but Tuesday would be a heck of a lot easier for me.

                By the way, I'll be bringing my Imperial Kolsch.  I'd like to see what people think of that.

                Joe

                �

                Sunday, 12/9 sounds great. For the benefit of newer folks like myself, can we get a little more detail on the logistics of the "white elephant/bottle exchange thing"?

                - Mike

                On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM,  <alibabagrl@...> wrote:

                �

                I'd vote for Tuesday the 11th, but feel I dont' warrent much of a vote since I don't get to attend, often.
                Happy Brewing,
                Alison3.

                &nbs p;

              • Andy Walthers

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 5, 2012
                    I could make either day but Tuesday is preferred.

                    Cheers,

                    kevin

                    On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:32am Andy Walthers wrote:

                    > I know I am kinda late getting to the party here, but if it hasn't been
                    > decided yet I would vote for Tuesday.  I might be able to make Sunday ,
                    > but Tues is way less problematic.
                    > Andy
                    >

                    > On Dec 1, 2012, at 10:21 AM, Thorcore  wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hello Everybody,
                    > > In the last two years I have hosted the December meeting here at Fremont
                    > > brewing, and so I think I will do the same this year. I think I will
                    > > have to change things up a little bit tho, as our hours have changed. I
                    > > would like to have it on Sunday the 9th at 7 pm. Will that work for
                    > > everyone? If not then Tuesday the 11th will work.
                    > > As in the years past I would like to do the white elephant/bottle
                    > > exchange thing. As well as holiday snack/ potluck thingy. So it should
                    > > be a lot of fun! Let me know if Sunday will work and all make a final
                    > > announcement in a day or two.
                    > > Cheers, Thor

                  • Annie
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 6, 2012
                      Hi all - hope I'm not responding to this twice...
                      I can make a Sunday gathering. Tues I'm out of town - searching for the sun.
                      Happy Holidays
                      Annie

                      --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, bob yeaw <bobyeaw@...> wrote:

                      > Either day works for me - looking forward to it!
                      >
                      > I dug up the "Wit Elephant" rules from last year:
                      >
                      > THE GREAT NORTH SEATTLE HOMEBREW WIT ELEPHANT:
                      >
                      > 1. Everyone who wishes to participate must contribute a gift, preferably
                      > wrapped. The theme is broadly defined as "Beer and/or Homebrewing" so
                      > anything beer or homebrewing related is good. Got a good bottle or two in
                      > your cellar? Spare equipment you're not using? Something tasty from a
                      > bottle shop? Humorously shaped novelty-ware? Doesn't have to be expensive,
                      > but certainly feel free to try and impress others with your
                      > Roman-Emperor-like magnanimity if you'd like. Hail Caesar.
                      > 2. I'll make little slips of paper equal to the number of gifts with
                      > written numbers. Everyone draws one.
                      > 3. On the first turn, the person with paper slip #1 chooses a gift, opens
                      > it, and all admire it. *"Ohhhh! Ahhhh! It's everything I've ever wanted
                      > in life! Existence is meaningless without it!"*
                      > 4. On the second turn, the guest with paper slip #2 gets the choice of
                      > "stealing" any unwrapped gift (i.e. #1's) or choosing a new wrapped one. If
                      > #2 steals #1's gift, then #1 must open a new wrapped gift. *"Mine now."
                      > "FFFFFFUUUUUUU!!! Oooh shiny..."*
                      > 5. On the third turn, the guest with paper slip #3 gets the choice of
                      > "stealing" any unwrapped gift (#1's or #2's) or choosing a wrapped one.
                      >
                      > The game continues based on the following:
                      > 1. If a gift is stolen from you, you can steal another gift (within limits,
                      > described below), or open a new wrapped one.
                      > 2. The turn proceeds until a new wrapped gift is chosen.
                      > 3. A gift cannot be immediately stolen back from the guest who just stole
                      > it. (No tagbacks! You learned this in Kindergarten.)
                      > 4. The fourth "owner" of a gift gets to keep it, i.e. the gift is "dead"
                      > after it has been stolen three times.
                      > 5. "Owners" of "live" gifts must keep them visible and hold them up when
                      > requested.
                      > 6. The gift exchange ends when the last wrapped gift is opened. Yes, unlike
                      > last year this one actually ends without my arbitrarily braying "Enough
                      > already!"
                      >

                      > On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Michael Harte <michael.harte@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > Sunday, 12/9 sounds great. For the benefit of newer folks like myself, can
                      > > we get a little more detail on the logistics of the "white
                      > > elephant/bottle exchange thing"?
                      > >
                      > > - Mike
                      > >
                      > > On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM, <alibabagrl@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> **
                      > >>

                      > >> I'd vote for Tuesday the 11th, but feel I dont' warrent much of a vote
                      > >> since I don't get to attend, often.
                      > >> Happy Brewing,
                      > >> Alison3.

                    • christian
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 6, 2012
                        Sunday works better for me as well.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Dec 6, 2012, at 9:03 AM, "Annie" <eastsacbrewers@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all - hope I'm not responding to this twice...
                        > I can make a Sunday gathering. Tues I'm out of town - searching for the sun.
                        > Happy Holidays
                        > Annie
                        >
                        > --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, bob yeaw <bobyeaw@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Either day works for me - looking forward to it!
                        >>
                        >> I dug up the "Wit Elephant" rules from last year:
                        >>
                        >> THE GREAT NORTH SEATTLE HOMEBREW WIT ELEPHANT:
                        >>
                        >> 1. Everyone who wishes to participate must contribute a gift, preferably
                        >> wrapped. The theme is broadly defined as "Beer and/or Homebrewing" so
                        >> anything beer or homebrewing related is good. Got a good bottle or two in
                        >> your cellar? Spare equipment you're not using? Something tasty from a
                        >> bottle shop? Humorously shaped novelty-ware? Doesn't have to be expensive,
                        >> but certainly feel free to try and impress others with your
                        >> Roman-Emperor-like magnanimity if you'd like. Hail Caesar.
                        >> 2. I'll make little slips of paper equal to the number of gifts with
                        >> written numbers. Everyone draws one.
                        >> 3. On the first turn, the person with paper slip #1 chooses a gift, opens
                        >> it, and all admire it. *"Ohhhh! Ahhhh! It's everything I've ever wanted
                        >> in life! Existence is meaningless without it!"*
                        >> 4. On the second turn, the guest with paper slip #2 gets the choice of
                        >> "stealing" any unwrapped gift (i.e. #1's) or choosing a new wrapped one. If
                        >> #2 steals #1's gift, then #1 must open a new wrapped gift. *"Mine now."
                        >> "FFFFFFUUUUUUU!!! Oooh shiny..."*
                        >> 5. On the third turn, the guest with paper slip #3 gets the choice of
                        >> "stealing" any unwrapped gift (#1's or #2's) or choosing a wrapped one.
                        >>
                        >> The game continues based on the following:
                        >> 1. If a gift is stolen from you, you can steal another gift (within limits,
                        >> described below), or open a new wrapped one.
                        >> 2. The turn proceeds until a new wrapped gift is chosen.
                        >> 3. A gift cannot be immediately stolen back from the guest who just stole
                        >> it. (No tagbacks! You learned this in Kindergarten.)
                        >> 4. The fourth "owner" of a gift gets to keep it, i.e. the gift is "dead"
                        >> after it has been stolen three times.
                        >> 5. "Owners" of "live" gifts must keep them visible and hold them up when
                        >> requested.
                        >> 6. The gift exchange ends when the last wrapped gift is opened. Yes, unlike
                        >> last year this one actually ends without my arbitrarily braying "Enough
                        >> already!"
                        >>

                        >> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Michael Harte <michael.harte@...>wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> **
                        >>>

                        >>> Sunday, 12/9 sounds great. For the benefit of newer folks like myself, can
                        >>> we get a little more detail on the logistics of the "white
                        >>> elephant/bottle exchange thing"?
                        >>>
                        >>> - Mike

                      • Ryan LeCompte
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 8, 2012
                          THOR! Are we doing this thing Sunday after all? Traditionally, its the host's decision.

                          Speak up man! I'd hate to be all lonely and sober.

                          On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM, krceder <krceder@...> wrote:

                          I could make either day but Tuesday is preferred.

                          Cheers,

                          kevin

                          On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:32am Andy Walthers wrote:
                          > I know I am kinda late getting to the party here, but if it hasn't been
                          > decided yet I would vote for Tuesday.  I might be able to make Sunday ,
                          > but Tues is way less problematic.
                          > Andy
                          >

                          > On Dec 1, 2012, at 10:21 AM, Thorcore  wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hello Everybody,
                          > > In the last two years I have hosted the December meeting here at Fremont
                          > > brewing, and so I think I will do the same this year. I think I will
                          > > have to change things up a little bit tho, as our hours have changed. I
                          > > would like to have it on Sunday the 9th at 7 pm. Will that work for
                          > > everyone? If not then Tuesday the 11th will work.
                          > > As in the years past I would like to do the white elephant/bottle
                          > > exchange thing. As well as holiday snack/ potluck thingy. So it should
                          > > be a lot of fun! Let me know if Sunday will work and all make a final
                          > > announcement in a day or two.
                          > > Cheers, Thor

                        • Annie
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 9, 2012
                            Ditto'd! I've got a fairly decent Wit Elephant gidt I'd like to unload!
                            Today, if possible :) Otherwise it's going in the Free Pile.
                            Annie

                            --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Ryan LeCompte <lecompter@...> wrote:

                            > THOR! Are we doing this thing Sunday after all? Traditionally, its the
                            > host's decision.
                            >
                            > Speak up man! I'd hate to be all lonely and sober.

                            > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM, krceder <krceder@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > I could make either day but Tuesday is preferred.
                            > >
                            > > Cheers,
                            > >
                            > > kevin
                            > >
                            > > On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:32am Andy Walthers ** wrote:
                            > > > I know I am kinda late getting to the party here, but if it hasn't been
                            > > > decided yet I would vote for Tuesday. I might be able to make Sunday ,
                            > > > but Tues is way less problematic.
                            > > > Andy

                            > > Fremont

                          • Annie
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 9, 2012
                              Ditto'd! I've got a fairly decent Wit Elephant gidt I'd like to unload!
                              Today, if possible :) Otherwise it's going in the Free Pile.
                              Annie

                              --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Ryan LeCompte <lecompter@...> wrote:

                              > THOR! Are we doing this thing Sunday after all? Traditionally, its the
                              > host's decision.
                              >
                              > Speak up man! I'd hate to be all lonely and sober.

                              > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM, krceder <krceder@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > I could make either day but Tuesday is preferred.
                              > >
                              > > Cheers,
                              > >
                              > > kevin
                              > >
                              > > On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:32am Andy Walthers ** wrote:
                              > > > I know I am kinda late getting to the party here, but if it hasn't been
                              > > > decided yet I would vote for Tuesday. I might be able to make Sunday ,
                              > > > but Tues is way less problematic.
                              > > > Andy

                              > > Fremont

                            • Thorcore
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 10, 2012

                                On Dec 9, 2012, at 3:32 PM, "Annie" <eastsacbrewers@...> wrote:

                                Ditto'd! I've got a fairly decent Wit Elephant gidt I'd like to unload!
                                Today, if possible :) Otherwise it's going in the Free Pile.
                                Annie

                                --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Ryan LeCompte <lecompter@...> wrote:

                                > THOR! Are we doing this thing Sunday after all? Traditionally, its the
                                > host's decision.
                                >
                                > Speak up man! I'd hate to be all lonely and sober.

                                > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM, krceder <krceder@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > **
                                > >

                                > > I could make either day but Tuesday is preferred.
                                > >
                                > > Cheers,
                                > >
                                > > kevin
                                > >
                                > > On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:32am Andy Walthers ** wrote:
                                > > > I know I am kinda late getting to the party here, but if it hasn't been
                                > > > decided yet I would vote for Tuesday. I might be able to make Sunday ,
                                > > > but Tues is way less problematic.
                                > > > Andy

                                > > Fremont

                              • Annie
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 10, 2012
                                  Wait, what?

                                  --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Thorcore <thorcore@...> wrote:

                                  > On Dec 9, 2012, at 3:32 PM, "Annie" <eastsacbrewers@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Ditto'd! I've got a fairly decent Wit Elephant gidt I'd like to unload!
                                  > Today, if possible :) Otherwise it's going in the Free Pile.
                                  > Annie
                                  >
                                  > --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Ryan LeCompte <lecompter@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > THOR! Are we doing this thing Sunday after all? Traditionally, its the
                                  > > host's decision.
                                  > >
                                  > > Speak up man! I'd hate to be all lonely and sober.

                                  > > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM, krceder <krceder@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > **
                                  > > >

                                  > > > I could make either day but Tuesday is preferred.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Cheers,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > kevin

                                  > > > Fremont

                                • Thorcore
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 10, 2012
                                    Hi all,

                                    As you all have figured out, the meeting will be this Tuesday at 7pm.  I apologize for the late notice and confusion. It's been a crazy week for me. Among many things, I sprained my wrist :(

                                    Moving on, the meeting will be at Fremont Brewing Co. In our new tasting room. Please bring some homebrew to share(2-3 12oz bottles or 2 22oz). We will also do the wit elephant bottle exchange, so bring a bottle for that. I believe that bob sent us the rules from last year (thanks Bob!)
                                    If anyone wants to bring some food to share and make it more festive, please do.

                                    Lastly, we will do a sampling from the N. Seattle Oud Brun Barrel. As it is setup for easy access.

                                    Looking forword to seeing everyone tomorrow!

                                    Cheers,
                                    Thor

                                    On Dec 10, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Thorcore <thorcore@...> wrote:

                                    On Dec 9, 2012, at 3:32 PM, "Annie" <eastsacbrewers@...> wrote:

                                    Ditto'd! I've got a fairly decent Wit Elephant gidt I'd like to unload!
                                    Today, if possible :) Otherwise it's going in the Free Pile.
                                    Annie

                                    --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Ryan LeCompte <lecompter@...> wrote:

                                    > THOR! Are we doing this thing Sunday after all? Traditionally, its the
                                    > host's decision.
                                    >
                                    > Speak up man! I'd hate to be all lonely and sober.

                                    > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM, krceder <krceder@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > **
                                    > >

                                    > > I could make either day but Tuesday is preferred.
                                    > >
                                    > > Cheers,
                                    > >
                                    > > kevin
                                    > >
                                    > > On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:32am Andy Walthers ** wrote:
                                    > > > I know I am kinda late getting to the party here, but if it hasn't been
                                    > > > decided yet I would vote for Tuesday. I might be able to make Sunday ,
                                    > > > but Tues is way less problematic.
                                    > > > Andy

                                    > > Fremont

                                  • Russell Everett
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 10, 2012
                                      While interminably washing kegs I popped a bottle of our NHC sour barrel
                                      project beer that Andy (awesomely) ran by the brewery yesterday.

                                      Gotta say, we'all dun good!

                                      Anyhow, there's a good chance Meredith and I might actually make it to
                                      the meeting tomorrow. Hope to see you there!

                                      Cheers
                                      Russell
                                    • Steve Cartoon
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 11, 2012
                                        So there IS actually a meeting this month?
                                        Well, today is not a good day for me for it.
                                        However, we're having a holiday party this Friday (before everybody zips off for the holiday season). I'll try to have some good beers lined up if any of you guys want to come over. You don't have to play pinball if you don't want to, but there will be a competition going on the first part of the party. Then it will degenerate into a possibly-naughty pinball party afterwards. My wife Cathy and I will be making some good food for this too. probably including more of the spinach dip that turned out to be a hit in November!
                                        Let me know if you'd like to show up so I know to get some good beer action set up! The pinball crowd has an appreciation for craft beer, but not quite on our level!

                                        Hope to see at least one or two of you!
                                        Steve

                                      • Rich Drury
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 11, 2012
                                          Sorry to say I won't be able to join you guys and gals tonight.  Shea and I miss taking part in the club, but hopefully we will get to in the New Year.  Wishing you all Happy Holidays!
                                          PS- speaking of sour barrel projects, how is the Oud Bruin barrel project coming?  I haven't seen any postings.  Is anyone sampling it?  When might it be ready for bottling?

                                          To: seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com