How long does it take to make limoncello?

  • Ryan LeCompte
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2012
      I'm down in Oregon right now and it turns out that our nursery's hobby of citrus plants has a bumper crop of lemons. Nobody rally needs the Meyer lemons I have, so I am thinking maybe limoncello. I know there are people out there that have made it before, how long does it take to mature? Is it something that can be done by Christmas? The lime crop I am saving for Christmas Eve Mojitos.

    • Russell Everett
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 22, 2012
        I give it a month, personally.  Just the zest and some sugar.  Then I freeze the juice for other stuff.

        On 11/22/2012 10:48 AM, Ryan LeCompte wrote:

        I'm down in Oregon right now and it turns out that our nursery's hobby of citrus plants has a bumper crop of lemons. Nobody rally needs the Meyer lemons I have, so I am thinking maybe limoncello. I know there are people out there that have made it before, how long does it take to mature? Is it something that can be done by Christmas? The lime crop I am saving for Christmas Eve Mojitos.

      • MB
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 25, 2012
          Hello everyone!

          I've got a spare glass carboy hanging around that I'd like to clear out.  It looks a little bigger than a 5gal, so maybe it's a 6, but not marked.  Asking $20, too much?  Make me an offer!  I am and it is in N. Seattle.

          Cheers,
          Chris

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012
            It's been claimed!

            I've got a spare glass carboy hanging around that I'd like to clear out.  It looks a little bigger than a 5gal, so maybe it's a 6, but not marked.  Asking $20, too much?  Make me an offer!  I am and it is in N. Seattle.

            Cheers,
            Chris

            I give it a month, personally.  Just the zest and some sugar.  Then I freeze the juice for other stuff.

            On 11/22/2012 10:48 AM, Ryan LeCompte wrote:

            I'm down in Oregon right now and it turns out that our nursery's hobby of citrus plants has a bumper crop of lemons. Nobody rally needs the Meyer lemons I have, so I am thinking maybe limoncello. I know there are people out there that have made it before, how long does it take to mature? Is it something that can be done by Christmas? The lime crop I am saving for Christmas Eve Mojitos.

          • Joe Germani
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012

              I've made Limoncello before and it didn't take long.  Zested about 9 lemons, put in a glass jar with a bottle of the strongest vodka I could find (it came out best when I could get grain alcohol--190 proof).  Shake it every day for a week.  Then strain and mix with simple syrup to your taste/desired strength.  It's perfectly wonderful at that point.

              I've had a version a coworker made once that was aged for months.  It was good too, but it had a different flavor.

              I say make it, drink some now, lay some down.  You can't go wrong.

              Joe

              On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:01pm Russell Everett  wrote:

                                                                 I give it a month, personally.  Just the zest and some sugar.  Then     I freeze the juice for other stuff.
                        On 11/22/2012 10:48 AM, Ryan LeCompte wrote:

              I'm down in Oregon right now and it turns out that our               nursery's hobby of citrus plants has a bumper crop of               lemons. Nobody rally needs the Meyer lemons I have, so I               am thinking maybe limoncello. I know there are people out               there that have made it befor e, how long does it take to               mature? Is it something that can be done by Christmas? The               lime crop I am saving for Christmas Eve Mojitos.

            • Michael Rupp

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
                  Hello Brewers!

                  Clearing out some more brewing equipment.  I've got a lightly used Masterbuilt LP burner that I no longer need.  I'm in N Seattle in the North end of the Greenwood area.  asking $20

                  Cheers,
                  Chris

                • MB
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 28, 2012
                    It's been sold.  Thanks and happy brewing!