nano system available

  • Russell Everett
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1 8:46 AM
      Hey folks,

      Sadly, it seems Steve at Battenkill in Poulsbo has decided to quit the
      part-time nanobrewer thing. He'll be selling his 1.5bbl system soon, if
      anyone is looking for a new rig. See:
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Battenkill-Brewing-Company/216123818405146

      Cheers
      Russell
    • J
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1 8:56 AM
        Never even heard of them, but sad to see someone fail to accomplish their dreams :( At least he can say he tried.

        If I wasn't already in the process of building a fairly expensive electric brewery, I might be interested in his equipment. Thanks for the head's up!

        --Julian

        On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Russell Everett <ciacontra@...> wrote:

        Hey folks,

        Sadly, it seems Steve at Battenkill in Poulsbo has decided to quit the
        part-time nanobrewer thing. He'll be selling his 1.5bbl system soon, if
        anyone is looking for a new rig. See:
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Battenkill-Brewing-Company/216123818405146

        Cheers
        Russell

      • Michael Cole
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1 9:16 AM
          Does anyone know what the typical cost of this kind of system would go for?  I'm definitely interested in expanding from homebrewing but believe I am way under qualified in the monetary competencies.

          Thanks,
          Michael
        • peter.charbonnier
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1 9:34 AM
            Looks like he went all blichman from the facebook photos. A set-up like that with all the extra bits and plastic conicals would run you between 1500 and 2000 new. Depends on how much you can fabricate and how much you buy. Figure 200 bucks per "bit" on average. 3 pots, 2 pumps, therminator, 2-3 fermenters, 2 burners, ect.

            I never heard of them either, but I sent an email to the info@ address on his page to try and get more details.

            --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Cole <mcoleii@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know what the typical cost of this kind of system would go for?  I'm definitely interested in expanding from homebrewing but believe I am way under qualified in the monetary competencies.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Michael

          • J
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1 9:55 AM
              The brew stand/sculpture's alone can run into the $5000 range (for example the Sabco stuff - same stuff DFH & Stone use for their pilot batches).

              On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM, peter.charbonnier <peter.charbonnier@...> wrote:

              Looks like he went all blichman from the facebook photos. A set-up like that with all the extra bits and plastic conicals would run you between 1500 and 2000 new. Depends on how much you can fabricate and how much you buy. Figure 200 bucks per "bit" on average. 3 pots, 2 pumps, therminator, 2-3 fermenters, 2 burners, ect.

              I never heard of them either, but I sent an email to the info@ address on his page to try and get more details.

              --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Cole <mcoleii@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know what the typical cost of this kind of system would go for?  I'm definitely interested in expanding from homebrewing but believe I am way under qualified in the monetary competencies.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Michael

            • Russell Everett
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1 10:01 AM
                Yeah I'd say you could reasonably outfit a nano for maybe $2-$20k, depending on how nice your gear is, the size, location, equipment salvaged from homebrewing, how much you do yourself, etc.. You'll have a real hard time making money though, keep your day job.  You'll have to make it work and build your name until you can get a bigger system, and there's plenty of people that do.  Check out the forums on ProBrewer for much lengthier discussion.

                Battenkill produced some good beers, but you would have only seen them around Poulsbo and Silverdale, or one of the Kitsap beerfests.  He never put in a taproom and that was a mistake I think.  That small you can't really make it on just kegs.

                If you are ever over that way, check out Slippery Pig's taproom, which isn't really a room, more of a covered area on a farm down a dirt road, with chickens and pigs around.  It's a fantastic atmosphere, reminds me of Skookum up in Arlington.  We'll be rotating the Poulsbo guys (now just Sound Brewery, Valholl, and Slippery Pig) and other west sound brewers (Der Blokken, Silver City, Hood Canal, Port Townsend, Slaughter County Brewing when he opens) through our guest taps too.

                Russell

                On 3/1/2012 9:34 AM, peter.charbonnier wrote:

                Looks like he went all blichman from the facebook photos. A set-up like that with all the extra bits and plastic conicals would run you between 1500 and 2000 new. Depends on how much you can fabricate and how much you buy. Figure 200 bucks per "bit" on average. 3 pots, 2 pumps, therminator, 2-3 fermenters, 2 burners, ect.

                I never heard of them either, but I sent an email to the info@ address on his page to try and get more details.

                --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Cole <mcoleii@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone know what the typical cost of this kind of system would go for?  I'm definitely interested in expanding from homebrewing but believe I am way under qualified in the monetary competencies.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Michael

              • J
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1 10:06 AM
                  My homebrewery is nano (20gal blichmann kettles) but I'm not planning on getting licensing/permits anytime soon, though that is the plan down the line. Estimated cost so far since October when I underwent this project is probably in the $4000+ range now. LOL. The system is essentially the exact same build as Kal's at theelectricbrewery.com. I took some liberties and design improvements with some of the build though. I should be operational by the end of this month (fingers crossed)!

                  Cheers,
                  Julian

                  On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Russell Everett <ciacontra@...> wrote:

                  Yeah I'd say you could reasonably outfit a nano for maybe $2-$20k, depending on how nice your gear is, the size, location, equipment salvaged from homebrewing, how much you do yourself, etc.. You'll have a real hard time making money though, keep your day job.  You'll have to make it work and build your name until you can get a bigger system, and there's plenty of people that do.  Check out the forums on ProBrewer for much lengthier discussion.

                  Battenkill produced some good beers, but you would have only seen them around Poulsbo and Silverdale, or one of the Kitsap beerfests.  He never put in a taproom and that was a mistake I think.  That small you can't really make it on just kegs.

                  If you are ever over that way, check out Slippery Pig's taproom, which isn't really a room, more of a covered area on a farm down a dirt road, with chickens and pigs around.  It's a fantastic atmosphere, reminds me of Skookum up in Arlington.  We'll be rotating the Poulsbo guys (now just Sound Brewery, Valholl, and Slippery Pig) and other west sound brewers (Der Blokken, Silver City, Hood Canal, Port Townsend, Slaughter County Brewing when he opens) through our guest taps too.

                  Russell

                  On 3/1/2012 9:34 AM, peter.charbonnier wrote:

                  Looks like he went all blichman from the facebook photos. A set-up like that with all the extra bits and plastic conicals would run you between 1500 and 2000 new. Depends on how much you can fabricate and how much you buy. Figure 200 bucks per "bit" on average. 3 pots, 2 pumps, therminator, 2-3 fermenters, 2 burners, ect.

                  I never heard of them either, but I sent an email to the info@ address on his page to try and get more details.

                  --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Cole <mcoleii@...> wrote:

                  > Does anyone know what the typical cost of this kind of system would go for?  I'm definitely interested in expanding from homebrewing but believe I am way under qualified in the monetary competencies.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Michael

                • peter.charbonnier
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1 10:08 AM
                    Yes, the brewstand, I forgot since I don't use one. Tag on another grand for that. Tag on ANOTHER grand since Steve replied to my inquiry and let me know that he's using a Stout Tanks 75 gallon brew kettle. I've heard good things about Stout, but thats a $1000 kettle.

                    Those Sabco systems have always seemed way overpriced to me. It's $5000 for a converted keggle 15 gallon pilot system. I guess if you don't want to do any work, it's nice to have something turnkey.

                    --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, J <digitalsy@...> wrote:

                    > The brew stand/sculpture's alone can run into the $5000 range (for example
                    > the Sabco stuff - same stuff DFH & Stone use for their pilot batches).
                    >
                    > On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM, peter.charbonnier <
                    > peter.charbonnier@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Looks like he went all blichman from the facebook photos. A set-up like
                    > > that with all the extra bits and plastic conicals would run you between
                    > > 1500 and 2000 new. Depends on how much you can fabricate and how much you
                    > > buy. Figure 200 bucks per "bit" on average. 3 pots, 2 pumps, therminator,
                    > > 2-3 fermenters, 2 burners, ect.
                    > >
                    > > I never heard of them either, but I sent an email to the info@ address on
                    > > his page to try and get more details.
                    > >

                    > > --- In seattle_homebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Cole <mcoleii@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Does anyone know what the typical cost of this kind of system would go
                    > > for? I'm definitely interested in expanding from homebrewing but believe I
                    > > am way under qualified in the monetary competencies.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > > Michael

                  • J
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1 10:18 AM
                      It's not so much about not doing work, but getting technology to work FOR you, specifically in the area of temperature control and wort clarity/quality. But yes, it does remove some manual aspects of the process.

                      --Julian