Re: [seattle_homebrewers] Re: Kolsch Yeast Strains

  • Russell Everett
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2011
      A little Kolshey update.

      After 17 days I racked the kolsches.  Both started out at 1.051 and were fermented at 60 degrees.  The Danstar Nottingham got down to 1.009 and was quite clear.  The Wyeast Kolsch strain finally was down to 1.011 and still a little cloudy.  Neither had any weird esters or diacetyl or other flaws.  Taste impressions were that they were similar, there was an ever so slight ale-yness to the Nottingham but not crazy.  Yeast flavors still muted the cloudy kolsch.  Both are fairly hoppy, but that's how I'd intended it to be.  Strong noble perfume and wine character.  Not really a Kolsch per se, more of a Helles-Bo-Kolschpils.  Going to be great in the sun I imagine.

      We'll see how they come out after a couple weeks chillin' out max and relaxin' all cool in the lager fridge.

      Russell

      On 5/22/2011 10:28 AM, Kevin wrote:

      I can't speak for Wyeast's Koelsch strains. However, my experience with Koelsch yeast is that it won't throw a lot of esters anyway. We ferment our Koelsch at 66F and notice very little esters. Of course you must always remember that when your cell growth increases, the ester level will also increase. Causes of increased cell growth: underpitching, over-oxygenating, shallow-open fermenters, high density wort, higher fermenting temps, etc. If you can control the other factors, then the yeast will behave normally.

      Kevin