Mead Day update

  • Russell Everett
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2010
      So I've talked to several suppliers in the area and I think the best bet is going through Silverbow Honey out in Moses Lake.

      They quoted me approx $444 for three pails and shipping, that's 180 pounds or 15 gallons, of Orange Blossom honey.  This works out to about $36 for enough to make 5 gallons of mead, that is, 15 lbs of honey.  And there's enough in three pails for 12 people to make a batch.  If there's interest we could order another pail as well. Otherwise I've got a quote for $6 a pound for more unique honey from Whidbey Island.  In the interests of 'local' well, you'll pay three times as much.  In my opinion, the base honey matters, but not so much as your backsweetening honey.  When the mead is done, go to the Farmer's Market, try these guys' awesome weird honey, and pick one you like to sweeten with and buy a pound or two.  As for the base, I prefer to make mead with Orange Blossom.  And in WA, $36 / 1.25 gallons is pretty hard to beat.

      So the question is: who's ready to make mead!

      I'd like to get paid before I order, if possible. Much fun as suddenly having a hundred dollars or more of honey sitting around my house would be. We can work out payment either in person via email or at the next meeting.  Once we get that figured out, I'm thinking Mead day two or three weekends from now?

      Here are you directions: EMAIL ME if you want in on this and we'll figure out how much honey to order.  If you're still on the fence, mead is ridiculously easy. All you need is a spare carboy, a spare corner and some patience.

      Cheers
      Meadmeister Russell

    • Ryan LeCompte

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2010
          Yay mazers!  Let's organize a Mead Day with recipes and comparisons!
          Count me in on this one.
          Sonya Nyberg

        • alibabagrl@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 10, 2010