The Future of San Diego Strategy Gamers -- Please Read

  • John C.
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 1:01 PM
      Yesterday I received a disturbing visit from an attorney representing
      a client who has filed suit against the San Diego Strategy Gamers.
      Since I am the contact person, I have been selected by the courts to
      represent the group. According to the suit, a person who no longer
      attends the SDSG meetings was the victim of "inappropriate conduct" on
      the part of two of our number who are regular attendees.

      I have been told by the attorney that separate suits will be filed
      against these two individuals for substantial monetary damages. I am
      not at liberty to discuss who they are or the specifics of the
      "inappropriate conduct" because of the ongoing investigation, but the
      two of you should be contacted shortly by the attorney.

      The suit against our organization cannot specify monetary damages, of
      course, because we have no treasury or other means to pay for such
      damages. However, if the alleged victim wins the lawsuit, we would be
      required to disband SDSG permanently, close this message board, and no
      longer meet on Tuesdays or any other days for regular meetings.
      Failure to comply with these demands could result in all offenders
      being sued for monetary damages.

      I am not a legal expert, so I need help from anyone in our group who
      has legal expertise, or who knows of a good attorney who would be
      willing to work pro bono. (I have very little money to put into the
      group for legal representation.) If you know of someone who can help,
      please contact me by e-mail.

      Also, in the event that we cannot find free legal representation, we
      need other ideas. Should we take up a collection to pay for a few
      hours of legal advice, at least? Is there some legal way to fight this
      without going through the court system and making a complete mess of
      things? Or should we shut down the group completely to avoid further
      fallout from this lawsuit? I would like to have the group continue to
      meet on Tuesdays as we have done for the past few years, so any advice
      would be greatly appreciated.

      I will keep the group informed of updates as I am able. As mentioned
      before, the amount of information I can share with the entire group is
      limited, but I will do my best.

      - John C., President
      - San Diego Strategy Gamers
    • John C.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 5:39 PM
        --- David Etherton wrote:

        > Not falling for it this time.

        Perhaps you have missed the idea of posts such as the one to which you
        responded. The idea is to see who does fall for it, not who doesn't. -
        John C.