CB Radio and On-Line SDR's

  • N3UJJ
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2012

      Good Morning,

      Since my SDR’s seems to be the focal point of the “CB” discussion, I’d like to weigh in on this issue, and open it up to logical, un-emotional feedback.

      I seems that several people think I am being judgmental about CB Radio, which is not the case, so let me bring you up to speed.

      When I put my SDR-IQ on the web, I figured that when I’m not using it, others could benefit from it. I would leave the audio to my computer speakers turned on because I enjoyed listing to what others listened to as well as sometimes I would hear interesting things on the air I was not aware of. I left the speakers on 24/7 (in a family environment), and for a long time I almost NEVER heard profanity or inappropriate language.

      After a while the radio became very popular, with more and more people using the radio to listen to the CB bands, I had to make a decision as to what to do. So I decided (at my expense) to put up 2 more SDR’s, these radios would not have audio turned on, so I thought if I nicely asked users to use the softrocks for CB stuff and leave the SDR-IQ for everything but CB, would be the answer to the problem.

      Well, obviously the SDR-IQ performed much better than the softrock’s, so users did not respect my request. My problem was not with users checking the bands for openings (which would be on and off in 2-3 minutes), I would have users tie up the radio for HOURS just listening to CB, so I changed the time limit to 10 minutes on the SDR-IQ (leaving the softrocks at 30 minutes). Still no change, after 10 minutes, they were back on listening to CB (for hours at a time).

      Keep in mind that I kept audio turned on the SDR-IQ (just the sdr-iq) , in a family environment.

      So now I had 3 radios on-line, and asked (nicely) that one (and only one out of three) radio not be used for CB, and to please use the other two radios for CB.

      From what I understand part of the reason CB’ers were hoarding my radios is the fact that I have a nice array of antennas that do hear better than the average on-line sdr.

      (see today’s current stat’s and links below)

      I have become very “BURNT OUT” on how CB’ers have treated me. I had one guy tie up the SDR-IQ for 7 hours (listening to CB), he logged into one the softrocks for 5 minutes, then went to the SDR-IQ for 7 hours (Logging in every 10 minutes).

      So I’m open to suggestions and feedback.

      What’s a workable answer to my problem?

      I’m not being judgmental, I’m only asking users to respect my requests for which radios (out of several) be used for which bands.

      http://pskreporter.info/cgi-bin/pskstats.pl

      Top 20 Monitors by reports over last 24 hours

      Monitor

      Reports over 24 hours

      Reports over 7 days

      N3UJJ

      10,871

      69,837

      KK1D

       9560

      65,065

      SM6FMB

       6335

      43,090

      Top 20 Monitors by number of different countries reported

      Monitor

      Reports over 24 hours

      Reports over 7 days

      N3UJJ

      KK1D

      SM6FMB

      If you are interested, you can see all my spots on a map below:

      http://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html?N3UJJ

      Scott Gillis N3UJJ
      My HamShack
      My Current Location
      My Amateur Weather Station
      My BOINC standings

      http://www.boincstats.com/signature/user_14206.gif

    • Alex P
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2012
        When I've got my SDR available on-line I've experienced the same sort of thing that you have and I also turn up the volume and listen to what remote users tune to while in my family environment.

        I've come to the conclusion that a portion of remote users may think that our on-line SDRs are identical to the internet radio streaming from commercial broadcasters and hence may think they can listen for hours like they would a broadcast programmer. If I was not knowledgeable of Hams/SWL/DXers etc., I don't think it would occur to me that it would be anything else than an internet streaming broadcaster type of set-up. After all, when I'm listening to a radio station in my car, the broadcaster will usually give the internet address for the live streaming. Some on-line SDR users will tune to FM frequencies and doodle around trying to find something and then camp out somewhere till they time out.

        Since I own the set-up, blocking frequencies or ranges of frequencies is certainly something that would be my choice if it was available. For example, since I'm not currently set-up for it, I'd block anything above 30 MHz since it would be a waste of time and bandwidth.

        As for CB frequencies, when I'm judging whether it's worth my time to scan 10 meters for DX activity, I'll tune in to the CB freqs as an indication of propagation conditions.