Re: [sdr-radio-com]

  • Mauno Ritola
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012
      A lot of, maybe even majority of AM DX listening, at least on medium wave is done using SSB to get better readability.

      73, Mauno

      1.2.2012 4:23, (KP4TR)Ramon Gonzalez kirjoitti:

      To add to this thread, these are my thoughts:

      When I first encountered an SDR receiver using SDR-Radio, I immediately fell in love with it and also with the Flexradio's. But before I purchased anything, I did tinker with SDR-Radio and did lots of connecting/disconnecting, and jumping around the various SDR receivers.

      One in particular bothered me. It said that if I use his SDR to listen to "CB" radio, I would be immediately kicked out and banned from his receiver. Well, if many don't know, I do like to listen to CB radio for one good reason. It is a pre-cursor to the MUF reaching 10 meters and beyond. A good friend told me that trick because CBers chatter day and night on AM and their signals are a good measure of the MUF expanding and possible 10 and 6 meters opening. Also on 48 Mhz TV signals from Europe can be heard here in North America and also good indication of European openings on 6 meters.

      I also use SSB to listen to AM. Nothing wrong there. And I may tune to a frequency where nobody is talking. Because I am performing my own noise tests!

      Anyone remember the packet BBS and the sysops holding and deleting messages they didn't like? In the same spirit, please don't try to tell me what I can and cannot listen to. The rest, I applaud you for letting me listen whatever I want, even noise. And someday I'll open up my SDR receiver as well.

      73!

      On 1/31/2012 7:33 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:

      Nice review, Ken. Thanks.

      On 1/31/2012 6:33 PM, ken johnson wrote:

      I quite often stay only for a short time- just long enough to see the bands are not open at the receivers location- with a panadaptor it takes only a few seconds to see that there are no moderate to strong signals around. Also, if I am looking for a particular signal, again it only takes a few moments to see whether it is there on not.
      As for using ssb on an am signal, again, I do that sometimes. It may be there is an adjacent signal and using one sideband or the other can mitigate the effects of the adjacent signal. And the opposite sideband- there a quite a number of hams on the bands now that use the "wrong" sideband for whatever reason. Remember, the sideband convention of lower below 10Mhz and upper above, came in because of the mixing scheme used by the early exciters and receivers, it's really a legacy thing with no real relevance to current methods. After all, a quick look at the signal on the panadaptor function allows you to easily see which sideband is in use on any particular signal.
      There are also times when I find an interesting signal and stay as long as the receiver's owner will allow.

      Having said all that, I am grateful to all the guys that put their receivers on line for us to use- and if ever Simon gets round to porting the software to linux I will be able to rejoin the community as more than a listener.

      On 2012-01-31 16:29, Bruce Tanner wrote:

      I see much the same, Jay, when mine is up which has not been so much lately. Perhaps 2-3%
      of the check-ins stay longer than 4-5 minutes. Some appear to not know what they are
      doing... When I monitor here I see tuning to AM signals with SSB mode still intact or some
      times the opposite side band being used. Other times it seems the listener may be looking
      for his/her own signal and when it is not found they bow out... I have also known of times
      when I inadvertently left a ground off which presented an extremely annoying AC hum all
      over the band width... I can understand the lack of staying power with that but otherwise,
      like you it seems that people are not staying on board long enough to accomplish anything
      within reason.

      Bruce, K2BET

      ---

      On 1/30/2012 11:25 PM, jay_hendershott wrote:

      I have noticed a lot of connections to my receiver from different users for only 45
      seconds to 1-2 minutes. There are a few users who stay on for 20 minutes and longer but
      a majority for under 2 minutes. Do you see this also on your servers? I wonder why? You
      cannot accomplish a lot of listening in 2 minutes. I would hope that if there is a
      problem with my reciever I would get emails from users but? I have been using my SDR
      online myself and everything seems fine. Just curious if others are seeing this.

      Thanks

      Jay

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database
      6841 (20120130) __________

      http://www.eset.com

      ---
      Virus Database (VPS): 120130-1, 2012-01-31
      Tested on: 2012-02-01 00:22:19

      Cheers, Ken
      vk7krj@...
      www.vk7krj.com

      'It seems hard to sneak a look at God's cards. But that He plays dice and uses
      "telepathic" methods .... is something that I cannot believe for a single
      moment.'     (Einstein's famous quote on Quantum theory)

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6844 (20120131) __________

      http://www.eset.com

  • N3UJJ
    Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012

      Ramon,

      I am assuming that you are talking about my SDR Server.

      Yes, I do ask users to not use my SDR-IQ to listen to CB radio (listening to CB on the softrock’s is fine), due to the fact that I like to listen to what my users tune (only on the SDR-IQ), and it lets me know when users are on my SDR-IQ.
      The problem with CB for me is the constant profanity, which I prefer not to have children listening to.
      I also request users not use my system between 7:30 am and 8:30 AM (EST) as it is used by the “Waterway Net” (something I support).

      For many months I offered four Software defined Radios on-line, and had no problem with users listening to CB on the Softrock SDR’s (in fact the login screen said “CB OK” on the Softrocks).
      Right now the Softrock SDR’s are being used for another project, but will be returned to service soon.

      I only asked that users not listen to CB on the SDR-IQ (one radio out of four).

      I have only “BANNED” one user (from Brazil) and it was mainly because, he did not respect the request to leave the SDR-IQ available in the mornings for the “Waterway Net”.

      I hope you understand now why I ask users to not listen to CB on one radio out of four.

      Scott Gillis N3UJJ
      My HamShack
      My Current Location
      My Amateur Weather Station
      My BOINC standings

      On 2012-01-31 16:29, Bruce Tanner wrote:

[...]

    • KP4TR (Ramon Gonzalez)
      Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hello,

        I do remember the request to not listen to Cb and why but just didnt know who the sdr server belonged to.

        I understand the profanity concerns if your receiver is hooked to a speaker and your children play nearby your sdr at an audible range. It is not the case here at my receiving location.  The same holds on 80m where profanity is quite common. Even here in Tampa Bay I listen to hams on 28.415 USB talking about very explicit sexual conversations. Tune in the evenings on ths sdr located here in Tampa Bay. Put headphones on when tuning in to 28.415 USB. It can get very explicit.

        Enough said but thanks to you and all for allowing use of your SdR receivers.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Feb 1, 2012, at 10:25 AM, "N3UJJ" <N3UJJ@...> wrote:

[...]

        <image001.gif>

        On 2012-01-31 16:29, Bruce Tanner wrote:

[...]

      • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
        Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012
          KP4TR (Ramon Gonzalez) wrote:

          > Tune in the evenings on ths sdr located here in Tampa Bay. Put
          > headphones on when tuning in to 28.415 USB. It can get very explicit.

          Now that's one reason these retards do it. They know they have an
          audience of retards listening ;)

          Dex
        • Dennis Smith
          Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012
            That is a rather insulting comment. CB attracts a number of people who are socially inept for want of a better choice of words, but but so does ham radio. I am a ham, but I am also happy to use CB to talk to a few local people who are also ham's who rather dislike the attitude of many hams. I see no reason to brush all CBers with the same tar stained brush, when ham radio attracts people from all walks of life too, whom some of are equally as un-equipt for communication as some CBers.

            My most recent investment in radio was a handheld CB and I have found it interesting listening to it, to suggest all people heard there are retards is below the belt.

            Dennis Smith
            M1DLG

            On 1 February 2012 17:19, Dexter McIntyre W4DEX <dexter.mc@...> wrote:
            KP4TR (Ramon Gonzalez) wrote:

            >  Tune in the evenings on ths sdr located here in Tampa Bay. Put
            > headphones on when tuning in to 28.415 USB. It can get very explicit.

            Now that's one reason these retards do it.  They know they have an
            audience of retards listening ;)

            Dex

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               sdr-radio-com-digest@yahoogroups.com
               sdr-radio-com-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • KP4TR (Ramon Gonzalez)
            Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012
              No reason to be nasty. Just expressing my concerns.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012

                Why not use ECSS–LSB or ECSS-USB?

                What’s the advantage of not using ECSS vs SSB?

                Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                http://sdr-radio.com

                Not sent from an iPhone: I prefer cappuccino to Cupertino.

                From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mauno Ritola

                A lot of, maybe even majority of AM DX listening, at least on medium wave is done using SSB to get better readability.

                Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012

                  At some stage the remote servers will have allowed / blocked frequency ranges, demanded by governments and users.

                  From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of (KP4TR)Ramon Gonzalez

                  Anyone remember the packet BBS and the sysops holding and deleting messages they didn't like? In the same spirit, please don't try to tell me what I can and cannot listen to. The rest, I applaud you for letting me listen whatever I want, even noise. And someday I'll open up my SDR receiver as well.

                • jay_hendershott
                  Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
                    I have seen a couple of receivers stating the same thing also. One in particular said "Due to abuse by CB'ers" I am curious what kind of abuse he is referring to. His receiver, his rules but I am curious how they abused it. I do agree with using CB as a MUF indicator. I do not talk on CB but like you, use it to see if 10 is or will be open.

                    Jay

                    --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "(KP4TR)Ramon Gonzalez" <kp4tr.ramon@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > >> long as the receiver's owner will allow.
                    > >>
                    > >> Having said all that, I am grateful to all the guys that put their
                    > >> receivers on line for us to use- and if ever Simon gets round to
                    > >> porting the software to linux I will be able to rejoin the community
                    > >> as more than a listener.

                    > >> --
                    > >> Cheers, Ken
                    > >> vk7krj@...
                    > >> www.vk7krj.com
                    > >>
                    > >> 'It seems hard to sneak a look at God's cards. But that He plays dice
                    > >> and uses
                    > >> "telepathic" methods .... is something that I cannot believe for a
                    > >> single
                    > >> moment.' (Einstein's famous quote on Quantum theory)
                    > >>

                    > >> __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
                    > >> signature database 6844 (20120131) __________
                    > >>
                    > >> The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

                  • jose maria trueba
                    Message 10 of 19 , Feb 3, 2012
                      Listen to CB must be a sin, by itself, not just an abuse. Any social complex reasons?

                      Isn't it some kind of visceral hating, found frequently, maybe because being a license Ham after being ONLY a CBer for too many years, to proof that you are not just a CBer anymore? Belonging to a higher class now, you can't even listen to your previous brothers?
                      Or you were already high class in the 1st place, because you have never been a CBer, ever-ever, promised-promised?
                      I forgot the dirty language words that can be found at CB, maybe a reason. Oh, yes, yes!

                      I think that most Hams have been CBers before, and this is not (many times it is, but should be not) something to be ashamed of.
                      Is it, but only after you are a licensed Ham?

                      We need a license to transmit on Ham bands, but a CBer as everybody else do not need permission to listen to radio at Ham bands.
                      Now you need excuses, or technical reasons like MUF indicator, to get permission to listen CB.

                      Weird world!

                    • pd0psb@hotmail.com
                      Message 11 of 19 , Feb 3, 2012
                        Agreed Jose,

                        I find this whole discussiuon about censoring certain frequencies rather rediculous.

                        Long live the airwaves! And anybody using them for whatever purpose.

                        If they weren't all of HF would soon be a buzzing nest of Powerline Communications.

                        73
                        Paul
                        PD0PSB

                        --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, jose maria trueba <josemariatrueba@...> wrote:

                        > Listen to CB must be a sin, by itself, not just an abuse. Any social
                        > complex reasons?
                        >
                        > Isn't it some kind of visceral hating, found frequently, maybe because
                        > being a license Ham after being ONLY a CBer for too many years, to proof
                        > that you are not just a CBer anymore? Belonging to a higher class now, you
                        > can't even listen to your previous brothers?
                        > Or you were already high class in the 1st place, because you have never
                        > been a CBer, ever-ever, promised-promised?
                        > I forgot the dirty language words that can be found at CB, maybe a reason.
                        > Oh, yes, yes!
                        >
                        > I think that most Hams have been CBers before, and this is not (many times
                        > it is, but should be not) something to be ashamed of.
                        > Is it, but only after you are a licensed Ham?
                        >
                        > We need a license to transmit on Ham bands, but a CBer as everybody else do
                        > not need permission to listen to radio at Ham bands.
                        > Now you need excuses, or technical reasons like MUF indicator, to get
                        > permission to listen CB.
                        >
                        > Weird world!
                        >

                        > 2012/2/3 jay_hendershott <k7gfh@...>
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > I have seen a couple of receivers stating the same thing also. One in
                        > > particular said "Due to abuse by CB'ers" I am curious what kind of abuse he
                        > > is referring to. His receiver, his rules but I am curious how they abused
                        > > it. I do agree with using CB as a MUF indicator. I do not talk on CB but
                        > > like you, use it to see if 10 is or will be open.
                        > >
                        > > Jay
                        > >

                        > > --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "(KP4TR)Ramon Gonzalez"
                        > > <kp4tr.ramon@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > To add to this thread, these are my thoughts:
                        > > >
                        > > > When I first encountered an SDR receiver using SDR-Radio, I immediately
                        > > > fell in love with it and also with the Flexradio's. But before I
                        > > > purchased anything, I did tinker with SDR-Radio and did lots of
                        > > > connecting/disconnecting, and jumping around the various SDR receivers.
                        > > >
                        > > > One in particular bothered me. It said that if I use his SDR to listen
                        > > > to "CB" radio, I would be immediately kicked out and banned from his
                        > > > receiver. Well, if many don't know, I do like to listen to CB radio for
                        > > > one good reason. It is a pre-cursor to the MUF reaching 10 meters and
                        > > > beyond. A good friend told me that trick because CBers chatter day and
                        > > > night on AM and their signals are a good measure of the MUF expanding
                        > > > and possible 10 and 6 meters opening.....

                      • stu_capon
                        Message 12 of 19 , Feb 3, 2012
                          I agree and one of the most corrosive attitudes seem in the Amateur Radio field is the call sign snobbery, holier-than-thou, have a certificate so now saviour of the free world radio waves types.

                          That was not aimed at the original poster if he really is concerned only to censor the radio for his kids, I can't say how I'd deal with the worst excesses of profanity if it has no other content or purpose.

                          I got a HAM call simply because I love radio but mainly the technology and possibilities not to discuss my bunions for five minute monologues on repeaters.
                          One of the things that stops me using the radio much is that the person at the other end is going to be a ham and combined with the rules that does tend to narrow down the scope of the conversation. I listen to CB when it comes over from the states because its often barking mad and makes me laugh, crazy fools living a different life to mine, like some spotlight being played across lives I will never meet, and they are probably not talking about their bunions or prostate.

                          We have the opportunity to broaden our minds with this SDR stuff so make use of it don't just use it to look down you nose at those with a different or heaven forfend NO HAM Callsign!

                          Stu

                          Message 13 of 19 , Feb 3, 2012

                            I have four radios online at time, I’ve seen three in use by Italians all listening to the same pirate net on ~ 6.580MHz.

                            Now I don’t mind too much, but have been asked to add frequency restrictions.

                            From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of stu_capon