RE: [sdr-radio-com] Best Wishes for 2012

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2011

      Hi Gail,

      Many thanks – I was brought up on the Isle of Man (GD4ELI), not too far away from the Wirral.

      Simon Brown, HB9DRV
      http://sdr-radio.com

      Sit tibi vita longa et omnia bona

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2012
        Hi Simon

        Happy New Year. May 2012 bring you lots of good stuff :-)

        A confession. As you know I had started to doubt this system (E6600 2GB
        RAM XP Pro SP3 X1950 Pro graphics) was up to running SDR-Radio at the
        same time as the other stuff including WSJT and I was looking at buying
        a new MB & CPU. I'd even got as far as identifying that I'd probably go
        for a i5-2500K and one of the Asus MBs as a good bang for the buck combo.

        But. An E6600 should be up to it. So I spent yesterday trying to find
        out why I have been having build 879 freezes/crashes when others are
        hardly reporting any problems. I wanted to check my computer was
        innocent. It wasn't!

        I did a major system clean up & optimise in the morning. Virus scan,
        defrag, registry clean etc etc but that didn't help and 879 would still
        freeze up after running for about an hour. Then if I re-started it would
        run fine again but freeze/crash after a while. The CPU load was never
        going above about 25% when this happened even though I was also running
        WSJT, email client & web browsing.

        So I wondered if temperature had anything to do with it and loaded up
        Real Temp. It was immediately clear I had a problem, the CPU idle temps
        were way too high and as I ran SDR-Radio the core temperatures would
        slowly increase over about an hour until the processor approached TJ
        Max! At which point of course the CPU would stop the clocks in an
        attempt to save itself! It turned out I had a loose heatsink clip so the
        cooler wasn't in good thermal contact with the CPU. Running day to day
        applications the CPU was hot but not hot enough to throttle back and I
        have no idea how long the machine has been running like this. Running
        SDR-Radio continuously was a bridge too far!

        Apologies for the time you have spent scrutinising my crash dumps. I'm
        embarrassed but also pleased to have found the problem was mine not
        yours. I thought I'd put my hand up and confess in public just in case
        anyone else has problems running 879. It might be worth checking CPU
        temps before sending you a crash dump!

        Everything is running nice and cool now and with the one exception that
        I still crash 879 if I change the waterfall resolution while the
        waterfall is running, so far, there have been no more freezes or crashes
        and 879 now seems very stable here.

        73 Paul G4DCV