Rotator Suggestion

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 30, 2011

      Hi All,

      Looking for a rotator suggestion to turn a loop antenna, *must* have a serial port / USB and a documented API so that I can send the position via the console through the remote server.

      For an American customer so an American office is preferred.

      Simon Brown, HB9DRV
      http://sdr-radio.com

    • Matt Cook
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 30, 2011
        Simon,

        I'd take a look at the Green Heron (http://www.greenheronengineering.com/) series of rotator controls.  I'm fairly certain you'll be able to get the protocol information you require.  They have models that can drive just about any type of rotator from massive prop-pitch to yaesu replacements.  There are many software programs out there already supporting this device.

        Just my 0.02c worth.

        Matthew
        VK5ZM

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2011

          Thanks,

          But *what* rotator would you recommend for a loop? I believe the current Yaesu are not too fantastic.

          Simon Brown, HB9DRV
          http://sdr-radio.com

          From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Matt Cook

          I'd take a look at the Green Heron (http://www.greenheronengineering.com/) series of rotator controls.  I'm fairly certain you'll be able to get the protocol information you require.  They have models that can drive just about any type of rotator from massive prop-pitch to yaesu replacements.  There are many software programs out there already supporting this device.

        • Don Moman VE6JY

            From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Matt Cook

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 30, 2011

              For a loop antenna? I have an AlfaSPID RAS – these things could turn my house J

              I was thinking a tad smaller – and possibly faster. A mini-speedy-AlfaSquid would do J

              Simon Brown, HB9DRV
              http://sdr-radio.com

              From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Moman VE6JY

              Alfa Spid

            • i2jjr-hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 30, 2011
                Simon,
                See the pages of the Baby-Loop by I3VHF ,
                ( http://www.ciromazzoni.com/English/Loop%20Antenna.htm )
                to see what and how a nice set with a rotator for a small heavy loop
                ( 1m dia- 16kg... hi! I have it, it's vy nice and performing fine good)
                73 de Augusto hb9tza / i2jjr

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 30, 2011

                    Nice J

                    Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                    http://sdr-radio.com

                    From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of i2jjr-hotmail.com

                  • i2jjr-hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 30, 2011
                      The antenna is a bit heavy, ( to allow 500w QRO) but very proficient ; narrow band on 40m, helping in regard to nearby big signals (BC) .
                      Tunes continuously; the new controller has a pad for tuning freq and a DDS in it to generate the tuning signal. Mine was the old type.
                      That small rotor assembly work fine on balcoons, and this loop has also some front-back ratio.
                      I had it years ago on by balcoon and it was vy fine. The small yaesu rotor is enough, I had also a TV rotator with aux thrust bearing for the weight.
                      73 de Augusto.

                    • Matt Cook
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 31, 2011
                        Hi Simon,

                        Depends on the loop ?!?   A nice small loop around 1m might get away with a tv rotator, a larger 3m loop made from 2" heliax will require something more substantial.

                        Other than Yaesu, Alfa Spid, prop pitches and Hy-Gain there isn't much else that is commonly available.  Even less if you want to be able to drive it from a PC.   Ham radio outlet and universal radio have suitable units.

                        I've used the Alfa Spids in the past, along with Prop Pitch motors with K7NV controllers (rebadged green heron).   I'd advise that the person in question see's what rotator he can find at a local flea market (sans controller) and purchase the Green Heron/K7NV controller to suit.

                        The cheap TV rotators tend to be syncro's (aka selsyn's) and are notoriously difficult to drive electronically.   Having said that perhaps something clever could be done with a cheap TV rotator and sail winch servo... simply machine a new disk for the control and a large rubber band...  there are plenty of USB to RC servo control boards around?  YMMV

                        73's

                        Matthew
                        VK5ZM

                        From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Matt Cook

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 31, 2011

                          Thanks,

                          Looks like it’ll be Green Heron and a Yaesu...

                          Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                          http://sdr-radio.com