RE: [sdr-radio-com] Scheduled Recordings

    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010

      What's the maximum audio frequency in AM transmissions?

      What's the maximum audio frequency in FM transmissions?

      Simon Brown, HB9DRV

      http://sdr-radio.com

      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010
        Simon, thaks to the SDR panadapters I see that MW stations uses up to 10 KHz (20 KHz AM spectrum).  I've seen some powerful HF stations occuping betwenn 16-20 Khz.
        In FM broadcasting the standard is 300 KHz channel spectrum, if my memory doesn´t fails me.  The audio BW is around 12-15 Khz.
        Probably there are some broadcast engineers here that can speak more properly than me about the standards and how well they are followed.

        73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

        Hi,

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010
          Hi Simon,

          Can I request that a scheduled recording leaves the SDR running when the recording period ends, or at least an option is provided for this? A more general alternative might be to restore the SDR to the state it was in before the scheduled recording started, or perhaps to a pre-defined user state.

          A rather more dangerous request... How about an option to delete all files in the record file destination directory before recording starts, perhaps per-schedule rather than as a global setting?

          Regards, Mark G4PCS

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010

            Re FM (Broadcast) well 15Khz is the upper audio limit (due to the 19Khz pilot tone filtering)

            Due to channel spacing  (9Khz in Europe - 10Khz in US ?) 4.5/ 5Khz audio max.

            But on SW where channel spacing is less , the same max audio frequency still tends to be applied, interference being minimised by not using the channel next to another strong signal !

            DAB uses 48 or 24Khz sampling and so can in theory carry up to 22Khz or 11Khz

            I can find out about DRM – but not too sure at present

            73

            Robin

            G3TKF

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010

              Simon:

              I’d like to see variable badwidth on AM to 12 kHz. 4, 5, even 6 sounds tinny on local strong stations.  4 is fine for DX but not for armchair listening.

              Friendly Regards,

              Mike

              Mike Gilchrist

              Disruptive Technologist

              Advanced Wireless Express

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010

                So 12kHz bandwidth = 6kHz Audio, will do.

                Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                http://sdr-radio.com

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010

                  Simon,

                  I excerpted a couple paragraphs from their sources (listed) and reading the complete section might provide a more rounded understanding.

                  According to the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_broadcasting):

                  AM

                  The limitation on AM fidelity comes from current receiver design. Moreover, to fit more transmitters on the AM broadcast band, in the United States maximum transmitted audio bandwidth is limited to 10.2 kHz by an NRSC standard adopted by the FCC in June of 1989, resulting in a channel occupied bandwidth of 20.4 kHz.

                  I know there is additional information about AM superstation bandwidth, but I could not quickly find it.  However, when tuning around the superstations are very easy to see as they take up a huge amount of bandwidth.

                  According to the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting):

                  FM stereo

                  The (L+R) Main channel signal is transmitted as baseband audio in the range of 30 Hz to 15 kHz. The (L−R) Sub-channel signal is modulated onto a 38 kHz double-sideband suppressed carrier (DSBSC) signal occupying the baseband range of 23 to 53 kHz.

                  Quadraphonic FM

                  In 1969 Louis Dorren invented the Quadraplex system of single station, discrete, compatible four-channel FM broadcasting. There are two additional subcarriers in the Quadraplex system, supplementing the single one used in standard stereo FM. The baseband layout is as follows:

                  ·         50 Hz to 15 kHz Main Channel (sum of all 4 channels) (LF+LB+RF+RB) signal, for mono FM listening compatibility.

                  ·         23 to 53 kHz (cosine quadrature subcarrier) (LF+LB) - (RF+RB) Left minus Right difference signal. This signal's modulation in algebraic sum and difference with the Main channel was used for 2 channel stereo listener compatibility.

                  ·         23 to 53 kHz (sine quadrature 38 kHz subcarrier) (LF+RF) - (LB+RB) Front minus Back difference signal. This signal's modulation in algebraic sum and difference with the Main channel and all the other subcarriers is used for the Quadraphonic listener.

                  ·         61 to 91 kHz (cosine quadrature 76 kHz subcarrier) (LF+RB) - (LB+RF) Diagonal difference signal. This signal's modulation in algebraic sum and difference with the main channel and all the other subcarriers is also used for the Quadraphonic listener.

                  ·         95 kHz SCA subcarrier, phase-locked to 19 kHz pilot, for reading services for the blind, background music, etc.

                  Stephen AD7TD

                  From: Simon HB9DRV
                  Hi,

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010
                    Hi Simon,

                    Do you mean highest modulating frequency or occupied bandwith?
                    If the latter, double the following numbers:

                    USA: Nominally maximum 10kHz (NRSC) although many stations
                    use 7.5kHz, and even more just 5kHz. Although the NRSC mask
                    doorsteps go out wider than 10kHz, there is little meaningful
                    energy out there.

                    Europe varies; CCIR spec is 6kHz, but many jurisdictions are
                    less, like 4.5kHz to fit within the 9kHz channel spacing.

                    Rest of world: There are many jurisdictions with NO bandwidth
                    limitation.

                    HF Broadcasting: 5kHz max, but often less (4kHz, 4.5kHz).
                    Some rogue stations MUCH wider.

                    Amateur: Some of the big-time wafflers here on the US East
                    Coast go very high (>10kHz) but most are 4/5/6kHz.

                    73

                    Steve

                    http://www.vorsis.com

                    Simon HB9DRV wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >

                    > What's the maximum audio frequency in AM transmissions?
                    >

                    > What's the maximum audio frequency in FM transmissions?
                    >

                    > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                    >
                    > http://sdr-radio.com

                  • Steve Dove
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010
                      Hi Simon,

                      Sorry, FM.

                      Here in the US, there isn't a spec for maximum modulating
                      frequency per se, except inasmuch as one HAS to transmit up to
                      15kHz, and not trash the stereo subcarrier pilot at 19kHz.
                      Once upon a time that meant 15kHz as a top end, but now with
                      digital airchain processors with far better filters 17kHz is
                      not unusual. Other jurisdictions tend to follow because they
                      use the same processors.

                      The usual transmitted baseband though consists of L+R audio at
                      0 - 15/16/17kHz, pilot at 19kHz, a DSB L-R signal with
                      suppressed carrier at 38kHz with sidebands ranging down and up
                      by 15/16/17kHz; there are then often messaging or subsidiary
                      carriers above them. RBDS (station ID) signalling for example
                      is at 57kHz, and others can range as high as 90kHz.

                      Whether this constitutes 'audio' as you mean it or not is up
                      to you, but it is a representation of what gets stuffed into
                      the modulator in the way of baseband.

                      73

                      Steve

                      Simon HB9DRV wrote:

                      > What's the maximum audio frequency in FM transmissions?

                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010
                        Bravo about Icom compatibility!

                        I have an Icom 7000 and 706MK2G waiting to try out.

                        I guess the jury is still out as to how to share a single antenna without blowing up the SDR when you transmit! You will need to have a health warning on the box Simon!

                        My initial plan is to have the SDR-IQ connected to a Wellbrook AL1530 loop well separated from the transmitting antenna. I wonder if you plan - in future maybe - to have the software monitor the transceiver rx/tx status and apply RF/IF gain attenuation to the SDR during transmit?

                        Of course ideally the SDR will be at another site and linked via IP!

                        73, Chris ZL1BOE

                        --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "Simon HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >

                        > All understood:
                        >

                        > . At the moment the filename is predefined by me, the folder can be
                        > user-defined and if it doesn't exist then there's a fall-back folder.
                        >
                        > . File chaining - there's a maximum .WAV file size of 2GB, also using
                        > many smaller files is good in case of a computer crash, software crash or
                        > disk corruption :)
                        >
                        > . 2MHz is now working @ 16 bit sample rate:
                        > http://www.sdr-radio.com/News/tabid/185/EntryId/41/SDR-IP-and-2MHz-Sample-Ra
                        > te.aspx
                        >
                        > . I am working on ICOM integration, with luck available end of next
                        > week.
                        >

                        > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                        >
                        > http://sdr-radio.com

                      • David Messing
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 10, 2010
                          How to keep from blowing the front end is to check out this site

                          Dave
                          K0RWM

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 11, 2010

                            I've added a few extras to the scheduler, I hope to have a beta sometime in June, just need to find the time to breath and keep up with Pieter who is doing some quite magical things in his laboratory in the dungeons of Atlanta.

                            Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                            http://sdr-radio.com

                            From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris

                            Bravo about Icom compatibility!

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 11, 2010

                              Thanks.

                              Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                              http://sdr-radio.com

                              From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Dove

                              Sorry, FM.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 11, 2010

                                The scheduler is in the console exe, I was planning on leaving the radio running anyway.

                                Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                                http://sdr-radio.com

                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 21, 2015

                                  Hi All,

                                  I have been looking at SDR Radio again now that there is a scheduled recorder. While it seems to work in general, I have discovered 2 problems so far.

                                  1. Once a recording is made, SDR Radio doesn't seem to see it for playback.

                                  2. I can play it back in HDSDR but the recording doesn't seem to properly save frequencies in the

                                      recording and shows wrong frequencies, like 2Mhz higher frequencies when playing back an MW

                                      file.

                                  Am I missing something, or isn't the scheduler ready for prime time? I am using the latest V2.3 code,

                                  by the way. Any help or observations would be appreciated! Over all, it seems to be a nice package otherwise and works on all 3 of my current SDR radios, an ELAD S2, CloudIQ and Afedri Dual channel. Thanks for an help.

                                  Dave Aichelman     N7NZH     Grants Pass, Oregon

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 22, 2015

                                    1)      You must rescan for the new recording files

                                    2)      I’m surprised that you can play these files with HDSDR at all – anyway the frequency info required by HDSDR is not present, the files are only supported by the SDR Console for playback.

                                    Simon Brown G4ELI
                                    http://sdr-radio.com

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 22, 2015
                                      Thanks Simon for the help.

                                      What I found was that I made the record directory the same as for my other software, ie. HDSDR and ELAD S2. That caused your scan process to error, probably on one of the non SDR Radio files and it never found the SDR Radio ones. I changed the directory to one only for SDR Radio recordings and all seems to work. Thanks!

                                      Dave Aichelman     N7NZH     Grants Pass, Oregon