Re: Possibiility for beta testing?

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2010
      Hi Chris,

      Both of Tony's designs you mention use exactly the same USB interface and v15.12 version of the AVR firmware from Fred PE0FKO that has already been proven with Simon's program using the SoftRock v9.0 RX.

      I have both Ensemble boards here, and was involved in the original beta testing of the hardware for Tony, but sadly have been unable to prove either with Simon's program, as I have been unable to get it to work on either my Win2000 or Win XP PC's.

      Win2000 fails to identify any sound card present.

      WinXP recognised the Delta 44 sound card correctly but does nothing when the 'Start' button is pressed except report 'the radio is not runnig, press start'! The strange thing is the previous release did work before the USB / Si570 support was added.

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "ae6vk" <scotstramp@...> wrote:

      > For what it's worth, Tony Parks will be sending me a Softrock RX Ensemble kit on Tuesday and a RXTX Ensemble kit in a couple of weeks. If it will help, I intend to build them promptly and could use them for SDR-Radio beta testing. Let me know if you're interested.
      >
      > Chris Day
      > AE6VK

    • Mr Doug -
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
        Bob,

         I was able to make it work in my XP here. Using the EMU 0202 USB but also tried the internal Motherboard sound. Still prefer the latest PSDR but it does take a lot more CPU resources. On my P4 XP it is up around 80%+ all the time. The emu 0202 USB I am sure has a lot to do with that.

        Doug

        Both of Tony's designs you mention use exactly the same USB interface and v15.12 version of the AVR firmware from Fred PE0FKO that has already been proven with Simon's program using the SoftRock v9.0 RX.

        I have both Ensemble boards here, and was involved in the original beta testing of the hardware for Tony, but sadly have been unable to prove either with Simon's program, as I have been unable to get it to work on either my Win2000 or Win XP PC's.

        Win2000 fails to identify any sound card present.

        WinXP recognised the Delta 44 sound card correctly but does nothing when the 'Start' button is pressed except report 'the radio is not runnig, press start'! The strange thing is the previous release did work before the USB / Si570 support was added.

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "ae6vk" <scotstramp@...> wrote:

        > For what it's worth, Tony Parks will be sending me a Softrock RX Ensemble kit on Tuesday and a RXTX Ensemble kit in a couple of weeks. If it will help, I intend to build them promptly and could use them for SDR-Radio beta testing. Let me know if you're interested.
        >
        > Chris Day
        > AE6VK

      • g8voip
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
          Hi Doug,

          I am aware that most people have managed to get the program to run with XP, but on the other hand I have been contacted by two others who have exactly the same problem as I experienced.

          The only reason for trying to run it was to have the information to hand for providing support for the SoftRock firmware should any questions arise.

          Like you I have my own preferences on what SDR programs I use, but do like to test the hardware with all available options for completeness.

          Looks like you are low on CPU power, running PSDR on my 2.6GHz P4 (Win2000), it was about the same as you see, but the latest version on the 2.8GHz dual core (XP)it loafs along around 15 - 30%, so plenty of power left to run WSPR, internet access and email quite happily.

          73, Bob G8VOI