New Member Ettus B200 Question

  • Brian Howell
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5 7:40 PM
      Hello.  I've been wanting to get into SDR radio for a while.  I was originally thinking of buying a USB tuner SDR when I first found out about SDR radio.  I had looked at the WinRadio systems a year or two ago but they were super expensive.  After studying the specs of several USB tuner radios I decided I would probably be happier with something a little better, even if it is a little more expensive. After studying various radios for the last several days I'm thinking of going with an Ettus B200.  I want a system that can tune from 1Hz to 6GHz.  That may be wishful thinking on the low end, the B200 will go down to 70MHz according to the specs.  If I get a B200 I will need an enclosure, I'm looking into getting a box customized from TAKACHI, I've modified Ettus's B210 drawing for the B200, I'm guessing it will be expensive, it looks like I will need to get light pipes of some type for the surface mount LEDs too.  I'm also looking at getting a Ham It Up 1.2 upconverter to help with the lower frequencies.  I'm hoping it will allow me to tune down to 1kHz or something, I'm not sure since I've never used one.  I've read that the Ham It Up has tuned 1MHz-30MHz  I'm wondering if there will be a frequency gap from 30MHz-70MHz?

      I was studying the Ham It Up specs today, it sounds like you have a 10-15dB drop with the converter and there is a sharp increase in loss beyond 30MHz.  I've been searching for a better converter that would easily tune up to 70MHz-100MHz instead of just 30MHz, again, even if it costs a little more.  I did fine this today: http://www.vandijkenelektronica.nl/main.php?action=product&categories_id=270&products_id=3037  It seems to be the closest to what I was looking for but I don't know how it performs or if it's even better than the Ham It Up.  I was also reading about several problems people have had with some kind of short on the Ham It Up board that caused it not to function and one of the components to get hot, it seems that was going on a couple of months ago or so.  I haven't heard if those problems were isolated or have been fixed since.

      Whenever I do finally get a B200 I plan to use the SDR-Radio program, it looks good and seems to be well supported.  I did read that it supports CUDA.  My current desktop system is running Intel's first quad core CPU Q6600 or something, I forget so I'm guessing the B200 will cause a huge load on my 4 cores without CUDA support.  My new GFX card I bought last year is a Quadro K2000D which has CUDA but the latest drivers use 6.0 instead of 6.5rc.  Can I still use CUDA with my card?  Or does it specifically have to be 6.5 or later?

      Hopefully I'll be able to clear away "the fog" and make some clear decisions soon and get a receiver up and running.  With my luck they will release a B300 or something soon after I buy a B200.

      Thanks
      Brian
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5 8:27 PM

        Hi Brian,

        A few thoughts before I go back to bed. The B200 has up to 56 MHz bandwidth, you will need CUDA or OpenCL to run FFT at this bandwidth and not overload the PC, your card looks nice, the 340.52 GeForce driver supports CUDA 6.5.

        I may support the B200 direct and not use the UHD dll from Ettus – I’ll have to see but the documentation for the board is good, I looked at the source for UJD.dll and the code for the B200 is clean and sufficiently documented. I would like to support the B200 because it has possibly the best front-end chip.

        Now back to bed…

        Simon Brown G4ELI
        http://v2.sdr-radio.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6 12:04 PM
          If I had a B200 board and wanted to run the full 56 MHz bandwidth and I also had a CUDA capable GFX card, is there a limit to the number of CUAD cores SDR-Radio uses?  for example, if I had a card with 384 CUDA cores would I get any increase in speed or performance from SDR-Radio if I were to get a more powerful card with 700+ or 1000+ cores?  In other words is there a limit to what SDR-Radio uses after a certain point?  If so how many CUDA cores would it take to run a B200 at 56 MHz without my system struggling?

          Another question.  Is it possible to use a CPU with less horsepower if I am using CUDA or is it still just as important to have a powerful CPU with CUDA?  For example, if I had a CUDA capable card with 300+ cores, can I run a dual core i3 or i5 mobile CPU and still have the performance similar to a quad core i7?

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6 12:16 PM

            Hi Brian,

            When processing 56MHz bandwidth the big CPU muncher is the FFT (generates data seen in the waterfall / spectrum). The number of cores depends on various factors,  but 700+ would *possibly* be wise, however I expect my FTX 660 to handle 56 MHz with some serious FFT overlapping (resolution enhancement) with some headroom to spare.

            Using CUDA does mean that an i5 or even i3 is OK, I suggest an i5 – I have a new motherboard / i5 Devil’s Canyon arriving tomorrow for a server I’ll be building, the GPU will be a GTX 580 (I think).

            I don’t have the B200 yet and would have quite a lot of work to do, so I would suggest waiting until I know more for sure.

            Simon Brown G4ELI
            http://v2.sdr-radio.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6 12:21 PM
              Okay.  Thanks for the information.  That gives me an idea of what to expect, hardware wise.