CUDA and ATI Stream

  • H.F.P. Pit [PD5DP]
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 31, 2014

      Hello Simon,

      I was browsing the internet about trying to find something simular as CUDA. Maybe this is usefull? It is called ATI Stream and it looks to me the same like CUDA but than for ATI based chipsets. Maybe this is usefull? Here are some links:

      https://www.ljll.math.upmc.fr/groupes/gpgpu/tutorial/ATI_Stream_SDK_OpenCL_Programming_Guide.pdf

      http://ati-stream-sdk-developer.software.informer.com/

      Hope this helps.

      Kind regards,

      Henk de PH5HP

    • josephrot
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 31, 2014

        You are referring to AMD FireStream, which is the new name -- since about 2007-2008 as I recall -- for what was known as ATI Stream.

        So far, it can "do" SOME aspects of Nvidia's CUDA, but whether or not its as evolved as CUDA is currently questionable.

        An accurate and fairly unbiased description and conversation on AMD FireStream can be found over at Wikipedia.org, although that is of course not the only discussion area:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_FireStream

        or the following that redirects to the above:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Stream

        There appears to be a lot of potential there, yet one does get the impression that ATI got something of a late start in the use of the video on-board GPU and parallel processing capabilities.

        Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA

      • christopher14304
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 31, 2014
          I know that a lot of onboard video adapters like Intel 4000's support some sort of hardware acceleration that's not CUDA.  Not sure how much work it'd be for Simon to implement or whether or not it'd make a significant difference.
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 31, 2014

            Hi Henk,

            For now the only GPU I’m supporting is CUDA as it’s clearly the leader and solves the CPU issues I have now and in the future. If I ever get time I may look at ATI.

            Simon Brown G4ELI
            http://v2.sdr-radio.com

            From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com]

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2014

              Hi Simon,

              I understand and a another member of the group told us that ATI thing is rather less

              evolved compared to the CUDA thing. Still I hope that someday you have the time

              for it to add this too, because there are here a lot of ATI based videocards around.

              Sadly no NVidea…and believe me: I searched my place… haha

              By-the-way: I sold my SDR-14 and now I am expecting the ELAD FDM-S2. I was time

              for a second generation SDR. Now hoping for a good working IF thing with my Yaesu FT-2000.

              Kind regards,

              Henk de PH5HP

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2014

                Henk,

                CUDA really is the best and what’s important is also the ability to get data on / off the CUDA board. For normal SDR you don’t need CUDA, with the S2 at 6MHz and a higher RBW (resolution bandwidth) then FFT runs much harder (FFT overlaps) and it starts to make sense to use CUDA, in fact with the bigger radios such as hackRF, bladeRF, Ettus B200 etc. an Intel CPU can start to get warm unless the processing is offloaded.

                Even a low-end CUDA card such as GTX 610 or GTX 630 is fine, they are not at all expensive.

                On the older GTX 275 with second generation 2.8GHz i7 I can run an effective bandwidth of 60MHz with ease and trust me, there *is* demand for the bandwidth and demand for a full spectrum FFT.

                You’ve seen 4k monitors – how about a special graphics card and four of these cards giving an effective 8k resolution?

                Simon Brown G4ELI
                http://v2.sdr-radio.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2014

                  Just been testing – even the aging GTX 275 will handle a 128 MB FFT with CPU to spare, so anything like a GTX 610 or the very nice GTX 640 will future-proof your computer.

                  Once again – CUDA support is optional and really only for most demanding applications, for example the soon-to-be-written multi-view where you can demodulate and record up to 64 or even 128 channels at once (yes, there *is* demand for this).

                  Simon Brown G4ELI
                  http://v2.sdr-radio.com

                  From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com]

                  On the older GTX 275 with second generation 2.8GHz i7 I can run an effective bandwidth of 60MHz with ease and trust me, there *is* demand for the bandwidth and demand for a full spectrum FFT.

                • i2jjr-hotmail.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 2, 2014

                      Hi Simon

                      A bit off topic, but the 4K monitors are disappointing. I used one for a couple of months and have gone back to a 2K monitor.

                      The main trouble is almost all use the Samsung TN 28" panel (vs ITS). It has poor contrast, poor colour and a real problem with viewing angles. As an operator sits quite close to a large monitor, the angle of view is quite compromised when looking at the edges, where vision is not straight ahead; I had trouble finding my mouse, going to a all-black one helped. Four monitors would be worse, although you would need to sit further back.

                      That aside, 4K is very good with the higher resolution, makes a big difference reading PDF documents on screen.

                      I was impressed that the Intel Haswell chips can drive a 4k monitor with Displayport natively, with the right motherboard (ASUS is one); no need for a graphics card.

                      Regards Drew VK4ZXI

                    • colin90cowan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 3, 2014
                        I was looking at a gtx 660, but as the 610 is up to the job, that's what I have just ordered. Less than £30 from Amazon - so a no brainer. The card will arrive tomorrow. Then I'll just need to be patient for a build that will support my blade-rf with xb-200...Simon, as your advice has just saved me ~£100 on a graphics card, perhaps this could be diverted to your development (beer?) fund? :-)Colin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 3, 2014

                          Let’s see about licencing, maybe a nag-ware thingy but at the moment it’s clear blue skies and I’m off with the hound before it gets too hot…

                          Simon Brown G4ELI
                          http://v2.sdr-radio.com

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 3, 2014

                            One other thing – the 610 should be fine, if you decide to upgrade next year to something like the GTX 660 or even more then the 610 can always be used in another PC or kept as a reserve GPU.

                            The widest bandwidth at the moment that I know of is 100MHz from a PCI SDR.

                            Simon Brown G4ELI
                            http://v2.sdr-radio.com

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 6, 2014

                              Hi Henk,

                              I have managed to buy a second hand version of WinRadio G31DDC and can only say that it is a great receiver with as most radios there are a few things that are a problem.

                              Advantages:

                              1. You do not have to depend on your video card as it has a viewable bandwidth of 0 to 50 megs although I am only running this at 0 to 30 megs with a resolution bandwidth of 6.1 k/s.

                              2. You have 3 receiver options although I have not used this yet.

                              3. You can run any type of decoder as I have bought the WinRadio version of Virtual Audio Cable that they call "Virtual Audio Card" and this works PERFECT with WinRadio G31DDC.

                              I have not had any problem with this as I have to say Virtual Audio Cable caused me many problems setting up too numerous to numerous to talk about now.

                              4. It has a Medium Wave Filter that reduces Spurious signals considerably.

                              I have built a Computer with Core i5 4670 and MSI Z87 G43 Motherboard with 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance and WinRadio runs easily with this.

                              Dis Advantages:

                              1. The waterfall is difficult to set up as contrast (Gravity?") settings tends to vary according to the frequency and I am still having problems with this although I have only had it for two weeks.

                              2 It is not a transceiver so that this could be a problem for some people.

                              3. Most importantly Simon has not made this card compatible with SDR Consul yet which is a great pity as I love his software although on his site it says "Pending" but I still can use it with my RTL Dongle.

                              The front end will need taming as it is very sensitive and most importantly Simons WATERFALL is the best I have seen.

                              I only live 20 minutes from Simon place so he can borrow it if he wants to!

                              Cheers,

                              Peter.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 6, 2014

                                Hi Peter,

                                I drove through Lanner last week but was able drive past the pasty shop J .

                                Simon Brown G4ELI
                                http://v2.sdr-radio.com

                                From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com]

                                I only live 20 minutes from Simon place so he can borrow it if he wants to!

                              • beachcomber
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 6, 2014
                                  Hi Simon,

                                  Hope you are settling in Ok, best Summer we have had for years.

                                  If you can make WinRadio WR-G31DDC available via your excellent software that would be a bonus although I am only a SWL so that must come low on your list of priorities.
                                  The hardware does not use an Audio Card like some other SDR’s and it is very sensitive.
                                  Bit upset they vave now hrought out another Excelsior G39DDC 9kc/s to 3.5 GHz

                                  HDSDR has a .dll for it but I prefer your software.
                                  Drop in any time you like or I can drop it over although I can see that you are very busy so I will not be too upset.

                                  There is a good Pub you probably have not tried yet.
                                  It is at Falmouth down on Custom House Quay next to Trago Mills bottom entrance possibly 8 to 10 different Real Ales some drawn straight from the barrel.

                                  Here is the Website you will enjoy!

                                  Keep up the good work.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Peter.

                                  From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com]

                                  I only live 20 minutes from Simon place so he can borrow it if he wants to!

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 6, 2014

                                    Peter,

                                    There’s a BBQ at Poldhu on August 12th – will you be there? I didn’t expect to drive through Lanner – I was just going up to Plumb base in Redruth and suddenly saw the ‘Welcome To Lanner’ signs.

                                    Being a SWL has nothing to do with it – currently I’m adding hackRF, bladeRF, CommRadio’s CR-1A and probably an Ettus B200, so plenty to do L .

                                    Simon Brown G4ELI
                                    http://v2.sdr-radio.com

                                    From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com]

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 7, 2014
                                      Hi Simon,

                                      Sorry cannot make that day having chimneys swept and also some plastering done later so will have to give it a miss,  winter storms earlier in year exposed leaks around both chimneys.
                                      Poldhu  beach has a lot of fresh sand on it with small gully across beach. Probably go there beachcombing in the winter months if the fresh sand gets pulled put see what I can find then go on to Kennack Sands!

                                      Thanks for comments about receivers that you are enabling with your SDR software, will keep eyes open for any change and I am still using it for the RTL dongle. Also have Sound Card based receiver although I , probably will not use it
                                      now.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Peter.

                                      From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com]

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 28, 2014
                                        Simon, does this mean you're going to use CUDA for the demodulation on the implementation of multi-view?  This multi-view sounds exciting!