Welcome

  • simonbrown42
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 22 3:00 AM
      Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
      We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside
      There behind a glass stands a real blade of grass
      Be careful as you pass, move along, move along
      ---
      ARTIST: Emerson, Lake and Palmer
      TITLE: Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression Pt. 2)
    • n1rx
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 22 3:52 AM
        Ha! You're showing your age Simon! 8-)
        I'll have to pull out my copy of Brain Salad Surgery and put it on the turntable now... Bruce N1RX

        --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "simonbrown42" <simon@...> wrote:

        > Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
        > We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside
        > There behind a glass stands a real blade of grass
        > Be careful as you pass, move along, move along
        > ---
        > ARTIST: Emerson, Lake and Palmer
        > TITLE: Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression Pt. 2)

      • obrienaj
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 22 4:37 AM
          Don't mention ELP, two of the 3 were supposed to do a gig here 3 weeks ago. My next door neighbour had front row seats and was really excited... after waiting an hour past show time, they canceled the gig. Reportedly they had a fight back stage!

          --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "n1rx" <bruce.beford@...> wrote:

          > Ha! You're showing your age Simon! 8-)
          > I'll have to pull out my copy of Brain Salad Surgery and put it on the turntable now... Bruce N1RX
          >
          > --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "simonbrown42" <simon@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
          > > We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside
          > > There behind a glass stands a real blade of grass
          > > Be careful as you pass, move along, move along
          > > ---
          > > ARTIST: Emerson, Lake and Palmer
          > > TITLE: Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression Pt. 2)

        • jim_va3kv
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 22 5:31 AM
            Now that bring back good memories. I have that on vinyl stored away in a closet. This will prompt me to get a new cartridge for that ancient turntable. It will be another thing to hook up to that delta44 sound card.

            Many Thanks

            Jim
            va3kv
            Rockland Ontario

            --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "simonbrown42" <simon@...> wrote:

            > Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
            > We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside
            > There behind a glass stands a real blade of grass
            > Be careful as you pass, move along, move along
            > ---
            > ARTIST: Emerson, Lake and Palmer
            > TITLE: Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression Pt. 2)

          • voltdrop
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 22 5:54 AM
              > Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
              > We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside
              > There behind a glass stands a real blade of grass
              > Be careful as you pass, move along, move along

              I remember the ELP group, but had forgotten the words - those are scary words.

              Well, I'm nowhere near the first to post, but still in the forefront of early posts. I've been looking forward to Simon's SDR-radio program.... The RXTX version. I think this one is still RX only?

              You're doing GREAT work Simon, and the rest of the team, THANK YOU -

              73 de Ken H>
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 22 6:11 AM

                Yes, currently RX only. I'm planning on having full TRX by the end of June at the latest, first transceiver being the MOBOKIT and SoftRock v6.3 .

                With any luck there will be some interesting SDR transceiver announcements this year.

                Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                http://sdr-radio.com

                Well, I'm nowhere near the first to post, but still in the forefront of early posts. I've been looking forward to Simon's SDR-radio program.... The RXTX version. I think this one is still RX only?

              • Dominic
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 22 6:35 AM
                  Simon,

                  After I have finished obtaining the LPF output TX figures from it for Tony Parks and boxed it up I will probably not use it again until after the summer so do you want me to send you the finished Ensemble Softrock RXTX I had built? The one I built was for 80m/40m so should be fine for EU. It will have the save firmware as the V9.0 RX you have and the TX/PTT control is the same as a V6.3.

                  Alex sent me a Mobo V4.3 and Widget Lite (USB Audio, Alex just achieved Stereo with the firmware code so SDR use should be just around the corner now) to build for you complete with a set of mini filters so should have those boxed up with the 4x20 display, fan (will use a 1U copper CPU 12V fan) and rotary controller ready for Freidrishafen 2010. It will look similar to the pictures here http://sites.google.com/site/lofturj/softrock6_3 with a plastic control knob and a 4x20 LCD display. I'll either pinch one from a Pic-A-Star build as using a 320x240 display on that or order some from a Chinese electronics place and it will be in in a week or so. You OK with black on green or want another colour combination?

                  72

                  Dom
                  M1KTA

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 22 9:55 AM

                    Let's see - I should be able to feed the TX I+Q back through the receiver to check the quality of the TX data, so for the time being I'm OK. For me to text the TRX I'll use the MOBOKIT.

                    The TX plans are:

                    1) Actually generate I+Q for TX

                    2) Provide full MOBOKIT support

                    The MOBOKIT could be a very exciting transceiver :)

                    I'll then add TRX support for other radios such as Lazy Dog and <name forgotten> Nick's radio from Australia. But first I have bugs to fix and from May 3rd to 17th I'm away on holiday as GD4ELI.

                    Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                    http://sdr-radio.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 22 9:56 AM
                      OK. Will focus on the MOBO for June

                      Dom

                      --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "Simon HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

                      > Let's see - I should be able to feed the TX I+Q back through the receiver to
                      > check the quality of the TX data, so for the time being I'm OK. For me to
                      > text the TRX I'll use the MOBOKIT.
                      >

                      > The TX plans are:
                      >

                      > 1) Actually generate I+Q for TX
                      >
                      > 2) Provide full MOBOKIT support
                      >

                      > The MOBOKIT could be a very exciting transceiver :)
                      >

                      > I'll then add TRX support for other radios such as Lazy Dog and <name
                      > forgotten> Nick's radio from Australia. But first I have bugs to fix and
                      > from May 3rd to 17th I'm away on holiday as GD4ELI.
                      >

                      > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                      >
                      > http://sdr-radio.com

                    • Dominic Baines
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 22 10:33 AM
                        FB ...

                        The radio from Australia/Nik I think you mean the Genesis http://genesisradio.com.au. If you are going to do the G40, G160 and G2030 which are fixed frequency LO and sound card only they will be a lot like the earlier Softrocks, but with TX using COM ports so same logically as a V6.2 Softrock RXTX. However Nik has included a nice add on in the design of image supression capabilities in the hardware a link is here http://www.genesisradio.com.au/G40/10assemblyG40.html for those who had not heard about this. I think you mentioned you might do/have done some of this in software but this might be worth noting. The Genesis G59 is a USB but PIC not AVR controlled Si570 so a different firmware is used but I think is based on the http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/ExtIO_Si570/ dll that winrad expects. I asked Nik if he would have api doc or hex available and I'd build a skeleton interface to check but it isn't available and I am already building too much in too little time.

                        Maybe someone else in the group might be able to give you access to a G59 or LD1?

                        72

                        Dom
                        M1KTA

                        After I have finished obtaining the LPF output TX figures from it for Tony Parks and boxed it up I will probably not use it again until after the summer so do you want me to send you the finished Ensemble Softrock RXTX I had built? The one I built was for 80m/40m so should be fine for EU. It will have the save firmware as the V9.0 RX you have and the TX/PTT control is the same as a V6.3.

                      • G4SWX
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 23 2:24 AM
                          --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "voltdrop" <sailingtoo@...> wrote:

                          > > Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
                          > > We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside
                          > > There behind a glass stands a real blade of grass
                          > > Be careful as you pass, move along, move along
                          >
                          > I remember the ELP group, but had forgotten the words - those are scary words.

                          Not as good as the smoke and noise of them live at a gig in Manchester's Free Trade Hall in the early 70's
                          Am waiting for Simon to smash up his intruments on Youtube :-)

                          John
                        • s3hampton
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 23 8:30 AM
                            Hello, Simon!

                            Just to add my "point of view" to the pile: My desire is to have the following points features in a future release:

                            1. Works with the Flex-Radios.
                            (Replaces or enhances PowerSDR?)

                            2. Allows TX as well as RX modes.
                            (I have now used SDR-Radio on my laptop to receive only; NICE!!)

                            3. Allow RX and TX audio to be coupled to a Flex or an Icom, etc., with no need for the likes of added hardware, VAC-with-Skype, etc.)

                            4. (This is logically the "path..") -But I'll add this last point anyway; -SDR-Radio will REPLACE HRD or will work with HRD.

                            In looking at the SDR-Radio product, I am very pleased and feel excited at the future enhancements. If this stuff has been covered before, please forgive me.

                            I am amazed at the degree of quality as well as on-going enhancements that I see in HRD! (From this, my expections-trends come..?)

                            73!!!! -Mike- KØJTA

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 24 1:32 AM

                              Hi,

                              1.      Flex - once their FireWire driver stops crashing (BSOD) I may buy a 5000a.

                              2.      TX - with SoftRock by the end of May 2010.

                              3.      Yes.

                              4.      The next HRD kit works with the SDR-RADIO console.

                              About Flex support - although I can add this the software you need should be provided by Flex, after all you've paid them enough :) They say (I think) that Deep Impact will be available this year, but even so once there's a bullet-proof driver I would still be interested *unless* an alternative to Flex appears on the market and there's a good chance that it will (and I cannot say any more at the moment so don't ask).

                              So let's see - towards the end of 2010 I'll know whether the competition to Flex will happen and I'll make a decision one way or another regarding support for Flex radios in this software. I do feel honour-bound to add Flex support as Flex has made SDR so very popular in the Ham community.

                              My gut feeling: I'll be buying a Flex in August / September 2010.

                              Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                              http://sdr-radio.com

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 3, 2010
                                Hi Simon,
                                I know its an old message, but Im a new member to the group, and a 'flexer' so to speak.

                                I appreciate your comments re BSODS and possible new kid on the block (not heard anything so far)

                                Is it possible until you add support for Flex, to use SDR-Radio similarly to how cwskimmer accomodates it, using VAC as the transport of IQ data, and using Softrock emulation. Admittedly its chaining two pieces of software via a third, but it would allow me to use your software without purchasing more SDR hardware.

                                Since I bought a new quad core machine in March I have had absolutely no problems with PowerSDR V2 software, drivers or otherwise, using Win7 and a decent firewire card, the radio (Flex-3000) is on 24x7.

                                It's time you got the 5000!! Simon.

                                Best Regards

                                Steve
                                G6HOQ

                                --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "Simon HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >

                                > 1. Flex - once their FireWire driver stops crashing (BSOD) I may buy a
                                > 5000a.
                                >
                                > 2. TX - with SoftRock by the end of May 2010.
                                >
                                > 3. Yes.
                                >
                                > 4. The next HRD kit works with the SDR-RADIO console.
                                >

                                > About Flex support - although I can add this the software you need should be
                                > provided by Flex, after all you've paid them enough :) They say (I think)
                                > that Deep Impact will be available this year, but even so once there's a
                                > bullet-proof driver I would still be interested *unless* an alternative to
                                > Flex appears on the market and there's a good chance that it will (and I
                                > cannot say any more at the moment so don't ask).
                                >

                                > So let's see - towards the end of 2010 I'll know whether the competition to
                                > Flex will happen and I'll make a decision one way or another regarding
                                > support for Flex radios in this software. I do feel honour-bound to add Flex
                                > support as Flex has made SDR so very popular in the Ham community.
                                >

                                > My gut feeling: I'll be buying a Flex in August / September 2010.
                                >

                                > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                                >
                                > http://sdr-radio.com

                              • RFSPACE
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 3, 2010