Console Buggy...

  • david_l_salomon
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
      Got a second NetSDR today.  I'm running the first one with SpectraVue.  The Console won't start running when I try to select the other one.  Yes, I've refreshed the radio list.  Yes, the radio is setup property (both run fine in SpectraVue).  The Console will work with either NetSDR when SpectraVue is not running.  It just doesn't seem to want to use the second one if the first one is "owned" by SpectraVue.

      I select the radio, click Start and...nothing.  Before you say...screenshot...it looks exactly the same as when the Console is started.
    • Jack Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
        I have three netSDRs here and tried to duplicate you problem, but it works fine for me.

        Started netSDR #1 with SpectraVue and let it run.

        Then started netSDR #2 with SDR-Radio without a problem.

        I've set up my netSDRs to each have a different port, 50000, 50001 and  50002, and of course each has a unique IP address.

        Jack K8ZOA

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
                Hi, Jack,

                My name is Jim. I have been thinking of buying a NetSDR; at present I am using an SDRIQ. I understand the NetSDR connects directly to a switch port of the router. I assume you address the radio as you would any other I/P address: http://dnsname or I/P address:port.

                I, assume you "call up" the radio from the Spectraview or SDR-radio software just as you would call something up from Interent explorer. Is that how it works?

                Thanks,

                Jim, K6QE

                To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
                  Jim:

                  Yes, that's pretty much it. The netSDR has an Ethernet port and can plug into your network. It's also possible for you to set up your network so that the receiver may be accessed from anyplace in the world where you have internet connectivity.

                  There's a setup in SDR-Radio software that scans your network and identifies all connected receivers of the type you are searching for. You can then select the particular receiver from a drop down list afterwards.  SpectraVue works about the same way.

                  Much, much better than a USB connection.

                  Jack

                  To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
                    OH I think I see. I would assume there are options for DHCP or static addressing of the radio unit for the LAN address as well as a port number configuration.

                    Jim

                    To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
                      netSDR ships with a CD-ROM that includes a configuration utility for port setup and other parameters. (It's also available for download along with SpectraView at the Moetronix site.) I'm sure there are other possible ways of configuring the netSDR as well.

                      You can use static or DHCP.

                      I ran out of ports on my router and had to add a port expander / switch. Have 3 netSDR receivers connected to the port expander and then wired 100 MB Ethernet back to my wired/wireless router.

                      If I wanted to run all three receivers at maximum data transfer rate, I believe 100 MB Ethernet might not be enough and would have to go with gigibit Ethernet, and also add a gigibit Ethernet card instead of using the built-in 100 MB port in my computer. Have not worked through the numbers, but my sense from running all three receivers at one time at 500 KHz bandwidth per receiver is that 100 MB limits the per-receiver bandwidth.

                      Jack

                      To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
                        Many (or all) of the servers of various types I have used allows one to configure over the Internet rather than with a local CD-ROM. The servers normally utilize a port 80 and if there are no conflicts on your LAN, one can directly connect to firmware which has its own set-up utility through Internet Explorer. I would be surprised (but not too much) if this feature was not available on the NetSDR. If there is a conflict with port 80, one can set this port to a different number like 800 during the initial set-up.

                        Jim

                        To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
                          Jim:

                          The default port is 50000 for netSDR.  It's entirely possible one can reconfigure it by a variety of means.

                          When I enter the IP address for one of my receivers into Firefox browser, I see a data display with key parameters displayed, but nothing is editable - just a read-only display. Likewise with IE.

                          Jack K8ZOA

                          To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
                            That port number is for the utilization of the radio and is not related to the server configuration software. You might try addressing the LAN address of your radio (assuming it is not remoted ) using your IE. For example, if your address of your radio on the LAN is 192.168.1.55 try getting on IE  http://192.168.1.55 and see if you get the set-up firmware.

                            Jim

                            To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
                              Yes, that's what I did - with the dotted IP address and the result is a static display of setup info.

                              The netSDR User Guide only covers setup via the supplied utility with no mention of setup via Eithernet. Since the communications is via the Ethernet connection, it's obvious that setup configuration can be exchanged, but I think the interface may be more primitive than an HTML screen.

                              There's a Yahoo group for netSDR - you would probably get a more intelligent answer by posting a question there, particularly since RF Space people monitor the group and respond to questions.

                              Jack K8ZOA

                              To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 31, 2013

                                I recall trying to run two NetSDRs with 1MHz bandwidth through a 100Mb switch with little success, Jack, even though they were triggered and each putting out only 131ksample blocks once per second.   Continuous definitely was not an option

                                After a conversation or two with RFSpace, I used a Gigabit switch with a Gigabit port on the laptop, and things went better.  Oh, and I had to use a cable specified for Gigabit Ethernet between the the switch and the laptop as well.

                                Great fun.

                                best wishes,

                                Nick

                                To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com