HRD serial ports couriosity

  • ic8pof
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 29, 2013
      HI , since some time I have discovered that even if I have not HRD installed anymore in the WinXP TaskManager there are two voices marked HRD Server and Ports.
      For as I cancel them they are recreated every time.
      Do these programs are part of the SDR-Radio program?
      Phil@ic8pof
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 29, 2013

        Please check the photo, or add it as an attachment.

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 29, 2013

          I have uploaded the pic on http://www.qsl.net/ic8pof/sdr-techniques/hrdserv2.jpg

          Phil

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 29, 2013

            Hi,

            That’s better. You must uninstall the serial port software completely, it looks as though it’s left some registry keys in place.

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013

               Phil you have 2 choices, either reinstall HRD then remove the 2 remote servers from inside the program under the Remote button in the ribbon. Or go into computer management/ services and disable the services.

              Martin

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013
                GM Martin Simon et All.
                Ohh yes I have already cleaned in the registry the six keys HRD, but they reappear every time again & again like in the movie: every day same as day before.
                The registry cleaner jv16powertools after a cleaning does not find any HRD keys then I cancel the
                folder HRD5 ... restart the pc and all is again back as before ....uhmmmmmmm
                That means STRONG programming Simon  ehehehehe

                I have already tried to install the HRD5 progr disabled the server uninstalled HRD,restarted the pc
                and all again back .....uhmmmmm

                have to try a clean XP system !
                but DXing season is open so will do it in the coold winter days HI.
                Have also written to SantaKlaus for a better pc compatible with w7.... ehehehehe.

                Anyway not jet understood why OmniRig should be better of DXLabCommander.

                73sss
                Phil@ic8pof

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013

                  Hi,

                  It’s not me, it’s the serial port software you used – unless the new HRD guys have changed things.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013

                    I have never installed the usa-hrd prog. I tried a couple of times the "original-HRD" many years ago , but I use Logger32 since 10 years.

                    In the mean time I reinstalled XP , but do not remeber if I put on also Somon's HRD again.

                    Will try a clean XP asap. Pity that xp does not works from an usb stick o no ?!

                    73hrdssssss

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013

                      Simon...

                      Knowing you are busy on other programming threads and your list, but with all the "situations" with serial port programming and ops of receivers and transceivers, I am hearing that most makers and some amateur operators, are or have prepared Serial-USB mods that will interface the serial ports to USB I/O, so that various SDR and other like software can better I/O to the once Serial ports.

                      i.e., what's being accomplished is to allow the external software(s) to talk to various receiver/transceivers via the far more modern USB "methods" as opposed to the now archaic serial port missives dating back to the late 1970's / early 80's until now. Clearly,  one will still have to program the software's to I/O the proper commands and the various feedbacks, of course.

                      Just a thought for now, but at some point, serial's timing, phase and other issues will hopefully give way to USB's far more common-sense approach ?

                      Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013

                        Joe,

                        IMO you are very mistaken. There is no need for a USB I/O to control a HF radio, the current use of serial (COM) port protocols is more than adequate. The USB support seen today is simply a serial / USB controller built into the radio; the protocol is still the standard, reliable and rugged serial port protocols.

                        From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of joerotello@...

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013

                          That's what I meant...those forward-looking USB/Serial conversions are where Serial is finally giving ways to USB control.

                          The software, your good programming (and it is) included, has to still do the I/O and instruction translations, of course.

                          What I was getting at is that the older receivers with serial/RS-232 that SDR software might be or should be able to control, are now being considered for serial/USB converter boards that can be added on -- something that should have happened years ago with the advent of USB 2.

                          That's all I meant.

                          From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of joerotello@...

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013

                            Joe,

                            Wrong, The software still sees a COM port, no change *at* *all* to programming.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013

                                Yes,

                                Drivers for the UART which is in the serial cable, regular serial ports have the UART on the motherboard and is installed with Windows.

                                From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of jhjesse@...

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 30, 2013

                                  USB Windows and other OS's has/have all the drivers USB needs, as it's auto-included with Win OS. When accessing USB, programmers and even users can simply call the code location in and out -- then again, it never seems as easy as the OS people tell us it is.

                                  It's almost easier today to "program" to I/O to/from the USB port(s) than it was for serial ports, and with USB, there's no inherent timing problems, speed-matching needed, cable reflection thoughts, at least not like there was or is with serial.

                                  There are other positives of course.

                                  Albeit, many amateurs and many engineers are still used to thinking serial porting, so the "urge" to use USB is not as strong as it might be, nor is that a fault...just an observation.