SDR-Radio V2 with Elad FDM-S1

  • egleichmcc
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 19, 2013
      Hello,
      is it possible to control the  Elad FDM-S1 build in features 30Mhz low pass and 20db attenuator with the sdr-radio v2 console?
      It would be nice if I could disable the low pass filter to receive 2m band signals with undersampling. I could change the frequency range in the "Radio Definition" window, but this does not effect the low-pass on/off relais inside of the FDM-S1. The low-pass is active per default.

      73 de DK5ES (Eric)
    • egleichmcc
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 20, 2013

        Hi again,

        I at least found where the "Low pass ON/OFF" and "ATT. ON/OFF" function supposed to be. Behind the "Radio Configuration" button.

        I request these two functions as a new feature for a fututre release.

        73 de DK5ES (Eric)

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 23, 2013

          Should be working in next kit.

          20dB attenuator is already present in the RF Gain menu, I’ve added LPF but can’t really test it.

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 24, 2013

             Hello Simon,

            thank you for the implementation of the LPF feature.
            I will check it, when it is available :-)
            I found the 20dB attenuator. It is working as expected.

            74 de Eric

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 24, 2013
                Hi !

                Speaking about the ELAD SDR, what is the minimum CW bandwidth available ?
                Is it supposed to be OK for serious LF beacons / MW DX'ing ?

                Best regards,
                Patrick
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 24, 2013

                  Whatever you want to use, make it too narrow and it’ll ring. The CW bandwidth is part of the SDR-Radio console, not the hardware.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013
                    Hello Simon and the group,

                    << Whatever you want to use, make it too narrow and it'll ring. The CW bandwidth is part of the SDR-Radio console, not the hardware >>
                    Thanks for the reply.
                    I'm aware of that ; actually, I should have written : "what is the minimum BW usable with SDR-RADIO ?".

                    When I was playing with the native Perseus software, it was fine down to 10-12 Hz for CW decoding (tough but still OK down7-9 Hz). Of course, it was ringing but still understandable to identify weak signals.
                    I was wondering if the same is possible with a ELAD/SDR-RADIO v2 team ! Due to the lack of filtering compared to more expensive SDRs, Id like to know if the ELAD would be fine for serious DX on the very low bands.

                    BR
                    Patrick
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013

                      Patrick,

                      All the filtering is in the software, so as long as the hardware is not a ‘pile of rubbish’ it’s all about the software.

                      FWIW I am supplying the ELAD to commercial customers who demand 6 MHz bandwidth for recording.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013
                        Simon,

                        << All the filtering is in the software, so as long as the hardware is not a 'pile of rubbish' it's all about the software >>
                        In other words, you mean it's not worth spending (for example) 1700+ euros for a G33 DDC ; the inexpensive ELAD is able to do the same using the same software, right ?

                        BR
                        Patrick
                      • egleichmcc
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 28, 2013

                          Hello Simon,

                          I reviewed the ELAD FDM-S1 LPF ON/OFF function in the "SDR Console version 2.1 build 1552 (Beta) (64Bit)". It works like a charm :-)

                          I used the full 6.144MHz resolution and the FM stereo decoder to listen to my local radio stations.

                          Thank's again for implementing this function.

                          73 de DK5ES (Eric)

                          Simon,

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 28, 2013

                            Hi Eric,

                            Glad it works J

                            From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mylists@...

                            Thanks again for implementing this function.

                          • balise2001

                              From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mylists@...

                              Thanks again for implementing this function.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 29, 2013

                                Hi,

                                Not necessarily – depends on the components selected for the front end, the overall design etc. value for money the ELAD is *very* good, I don’t use it much (I use WebSDR in the UK) but one of the test team runs it 24 x 7 from his home in the US.

                                In general you get what you pay for.

                                From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mylists@...

                                Thanks again for implementing this function.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 29, 2013

                                  … and don’t forget: It’s all about the software!

                                  From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Simon Brown

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 29, 2013
                                    In fact, I'm undecided because my main interests (NDB and MW DX'ing) involve using a high-performance device at LF. I was very happy with my Perseus, but if it's possible to get similar results with a much cheaper radio, I'll go for it immediatly !

                                    One doesn't need a DX-machine / powerful software to listen to worldwide broadcasters but when it comes to dig out very faint signal buried in the noise on longwaves, that's another story (for LF beacons, I often use 10-12 Hz bw CW filters ; that's pretty sharp, isn't it ?).

                                  • josephrot
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 29, 2013

                                      Read you 5 x 8 on that...

                                      'I am still a little (OK a lot) impressed with the fact that I sit here with an $20 $US RT820/2832 dongle, a $39 $US Opendous upconverter, and a 18 to 20db preselector/RF front end amp feeding the dongle and upconverter...

                                      ..and via using SDR-Radio V2 Build 1552 I am still testing .9uv sensitivity at 75 MHz, great selectivity, acceptable noise floor, excellent tuning accuracy, a LOT of useful reception options and "things" I can do to the signals, a credible spectrum analyzer function...

                                      ..., and almost-stunning DX reception that is essentially the equal of my Sat 800 unit, my departed Kenwood R5000, and a friend's ICOM R9000...

                                      Drool as we might, we do not always need the Kenwood R5000 and a friend's ICOM R9000's to "do the job".

                                      Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA

                                      ---In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, <sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      In fact, I'm undecided because my main interests (NDB and MW DX'ing) involve using a high-performance device at LF. I was very happy with my Perseus, but if it's possible to get similar results with a much cheaper radio, I'll go for it immediatly !

                                      One doesn't need a DX-machine / powerful software to listen to worldwide broadcasters but when it comes to dig out very faint signal buried in the noise on longwaves, that's another story (for LF beacons, I often use 10-12 Hz bw CW filters ; that's pretty sharp, isn't it ?).

                                    • Leif Asbrink
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 29, 2013
                                        On 29 Oct 2013 06:49:53 -0700
                                        <aunumero73@...> wrote:

                                        > In fact, I'm undecided because my main interests (NDB and MW DX'ing) involve using a high-performance device at LF. I was very happy with my Perseus, but if it's possible to get similar results with a much cheaper radio, I'll go for it immediatly !
                                        >
                                        > One doesn't need a DX-machine / powerful software to listen to worldwide broadcasters but when it comes to dig out very faint signal buried in the noise on longwaves, that's another story (for LF beacons, I often use 10-12 Hz bw CW filters ; that's pretty sharp, isn't it ?).

                                        You might be interested in this:
                                        http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/usage/ndb/ndb_pa0rdt.htm

                                        regards

                                        Leif / SM5BSZ
                                      • Patrick
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 30, 2013
                                          Hello Leif,

                                          Nice to meet you here !

                                          I already know Linrad ; we exchanged several mails about it and NDB DXing 2 years ago, or so. Then, I moved and sold my Perseus because of terrible noise level.

                                          I should move again soon to a quiet place, hence I'm thinking of purchasing a new radio.

                                          Hope everything is fine for you.

                                          --
                                          My Google+ Area : Thoughts, pics & music
                                          My YouTube Channel : Mainly SDR stuff & radio-related

                                          Feel free to join, share & comment !

                                          Patrick, french Alps.