Still running after closing

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 18, 2013
      Hi Simon.

      Just downloaded SDR Radio V2.1 build 1513.
      I have found on both of my PCs running Win XP sp3, that SDR Radio is still running after closing it. Can seen by opening Task manager,
      and also when shutting down windows.

      Philip g7jur.
    • g7jur
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2013
        Hi Simon.

        I have found on both of my PCs running Win XP sp3, that SDR Radio is still running after closing it. Can seen by opening Task manager,
        and also when shutting down windows.
        This is happening with all versions starting at SDR Radio V2.1 build 1513 to the latest

        Philip g7jur.
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2013

          Hi,

          Yes – this bug is on my list. I spent many hours attacking it and got nowhere L .

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2013
            Friendly programmers and programming managers report that Win XP and Win 7/8.8.1 handle open and closing threads a little differently -- some say a lot.

            What Win 7/8.8.1 might "automatically do" for us as apps open and close, is not always followed the same way in XP.

            Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2013
              what?
            • josephrot
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2013

                 When one's XP apps refuse to close, or an app that's on your XP computer fails to close, HOWEVER, the same app running on Win 7/8/81 DOES close...

                ... NOT the ONLY possible reasons, yet in many instances, the app running on XP is either hung up in a loop, or the threads are not being quite totally accounted for, etc. as far as XP knows.

                Win 7/8/8.1 "force close" most apps for you, although by strict application, that is not ALWAYS 100% true, thus doing a much better job, than XP usually did, of "cleaning or tidy up" the OS environment when you close an application down..

                Remember: as a programming manager or was for many years, so a programmer here or there may get offended, offensive or worse.

                Let them eat bytes.

                Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA

                ---In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, <sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                what?
              • uhh_huhh
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2013

                  Thanks Joe for detailing your post.

                  I am not a programmer, so will probably use wrong terminology, but I think Microsoft calls the ability to close loose threads ' memory management ' .  XP and 7 & 8 use different methods of memory management.  So, I can see that a programmer would have a problem with dealing with several methods of memory management in different OSs, especially when one or more are obsolete.

                  You stated that you were a programming manager for many years, and a few days ago you stated that you were an engineer, and in a couple other post you stated that you were in other professional fields. I was wondering what your present field of work might be. You seem to be involved in a lot of different occupations.

                  I also have been in several fields of work, ranging from farming to Electrical Engineering, including teaching at a local Community College and working in the timber industry. Seems some of us are restless... or, in some cases, just getting old.

                  And as for offending programmers on this post, I would not worry about that. The lead programmer of this forum owns this forum and has the authority to ban anyone that gets too far out of line.

                  bobbie

                  kd4lv

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2013

                    Thank you for the reply, Bobbie...

                    My more detail experiences can be listed on my Group Message to your email, but suffice to say that one reason I firmly believe why Simon has "attracted" such an interesting, frankly diverse and vibrant Group is both due to Simon's own background, and very frankly his willingness to do what he does to produce and enhance an obviously class-act software.

                    I frankly am among those not only grateful to be using SDR-Radio, but to be a part of SDR in any small bit, large byte or "humongous" manner that I am wanted, needed or heck, people can put up with me.

                    Alas, I am not perfect, and if I goof up or go overboard, I am able to be like a small diameter SDR dongle shrink-tubing hanging out a vehicle window at 90 kph...I can stand a whipping. (If that's not a sorry sounding analogy, what is)

                    Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA

                    "I use and support SDR Radio...do you too ?"