Re: [sdr-radio-com] RE: Re: Perseus not recognised any more by computer

  • kd5wdq .
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2013
      Might get a power connector tester and make sure "Ground" is really ground.
      Many time have seen where 1/2 of a power outlet is un-grounded (even
      intermittent.)

      One possibility is this is lightning generated EMP.  A subject I'm really
      interested in - and why I'm following this thread...

      --ek

      On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 1:35 AM, <box73@...> wrote:

      No, the coax was manually disconnected from the (fe)male plug, so no ground connection at that point.

      But what you say, the ground line for the mains supply was still there although both other wires were switched off.

      However to do harm, I would think the voltage spike needs a point to enter the equipment. In this case probably through the 230V ground connection, but also another point where this same equipment is more or less grounded. Till now, I do not 'see' such point. Still some further thinking is needed overhere ;-)

      Perseus and PC both were on the same 230V outlet.

      Maybe the loop 'problem' (from another answer) via Perseus PSU -> Perseus -> USB -> PC -> PC PSU back to the mains outlet worked like a loop antenna in which a voltage spike was induced.

      If so only disconnecting the common 230V mains outlet wouldn't help. One would be needed to disconnect every separate piece of equipment using it's own 230V connection.

      Or, whats probably easier, (dis)connect the USB cable every time one starts using the RX.

      Arie.

      Arie,

      it depends, if you had a 2m coax to a coax switch - the shield
      was still connected to the outside and the lightning surge could
      crawl over all means of electric connectivity.

      Same goes with the power plug, if there is a ground line, they are
      not disconnected if you switch off your main power.

      good luck with the next one... ;-)

      73's de OE1MWW

      Wolfgang