Re: Sound distorted in FM Broadcast

  • jjalaiza2
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
      --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Brown" <simon@...> wrote:

      > Screenshot?

      I tried putting two captures in the section EA3EGQ photos in the folder with error result.

      If I respond to your mail do not see how to add an attachment

      How to do it?

      NB: I'm pretty novice.

      Regards
      Juan Jose Alaiza
      EA3EGQ
    • jjalaiza2
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
        --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Brown" <simon@...> wrote:

        > Screenshot?

        I tried putting two captures in the section photos in the folder EA3EGQ with error result.

        If I respond to your mail do not see how to add an attachment

        How to do it?

        NB: I'm pretty novice.

        Regards
        Juan Jose Alaiza
        EA3EGQ
      • vk4cmv
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
          I use the same setup Jose and notice exactly the same symptoms as yourself.

          I think it's due to overload on the FCDP+ - so what I do is to reduce the IF mixer gain or turn the LNA off in the Radio Configuration tab when there are strong local FM signals.

          rgds, Julian VK4CMV
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013

            What e-mail software do you use?

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013
              Hi Simon

              My email program is TheBat, but my posts until today I make through the
              web, which is that it is quite limited.

              Show me where it explains how to do it on the website of the group or how to do it
              wiyh TheBat.

              Regards

              Juan Jose Alaiza
              EA3EGQ
            • Juan Jose Alaiza
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013
                Hi Simon

                My email is soft TheBat, but my posts until today I make through the
                web, which is that it is quite limited.

                Show me where it explains how to do it on the website of the group or how to do it
                TheBat.

                regards
                ----
                Juan Jose Alaiza
                EA3EGQ
              • Juan Jose Alaiza
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013
                  Hi Simon

                  Looks like you know how to send emails from TheBat.
                  In the photo section are screenshots.

                  Regards

                  Juan Jose Alaiza
                  EA3EGQ
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013

                    Juan,

                    That is a not a broadcast FM signal you are looking at. A) it’s outside the band, B) bandwidth is way too small – try Narrow FM or Wide FM.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013
                      Re: Sound distorted in FM Broadcast
                      > 1a. Re: Sound distorted in FM Broadcast
                      >     Posted by: "Simon Brown" simon@... simonbrown42
                      >     Date: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:56 am ((PDT))
                      > Juan,
                      >
                      > That is a not a broadcast FM signal you are looking at. A) it's outside the
                      > band, B) bandwidth is way too small - try Narrow FM or Wide FM.

                      Hi Simon

                      The frequency is within the FM band, the bandwidth is 192KHz and the distortion is present both WFM and FM Broadcast

                      I hope the screenshot comes correctly

                    • josephrot
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013

                        Juan...

                        The distortion might not be FM signal "ghost" or reflections as is sometimes heard with both strong or weaker FM broadcasts ?

                        Joe

                        Re: Sound distorted in FM Broadcast > 1a. Re: Sound distorted in FM Broadcast

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013
                          I use an indoor antenna, do not think there reflections, I'm about 15 Km. from the center emitter, I tried without antenna, the signal is weak but the distortion is the same.
                          With HDSDR works perfectly.
                          Viewing screenshot sent, I think I have something misconfigured since the distortion is the same with filters from 48KHz to 192 KHz.

                          Thanks for the help.

                          Best regards
                          Juan Jose Alaiza
                          EA3EGQ
                        • josephrot
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013

                            Juan...

                            FM signal reflections / ghosts can be anytime, anywhere, indoor or outdoor, on indoor or outdoor antennas, and can occur if close or far from the transmitter, if your geography is level or full of intervening hills or mountains, or even if over water. Can also occur if the FM antenna is vertically or horizontally polarized.

                            Would definitely check each possibility that Simon and others have mentioned, and also caution to not forget about reflections / ghosts as one possibility.