Re: [sdr-radio-com] FREQ input.

  • Larry Dighera
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013
      Hello Dave,

      If you are referring to VFO frequency tuning via the 'Direct' tab, I agree. I
      never seem to get it right. Perhaps a blank input form, without the
      underscores and commas, that just accepts input numerals from the right hand
      side would be superior. I'm referring to a function that operates similar to
      the way frequencies are directly input in the Icom IC-7800 for example. All
      you do it input the most significant digits, and fill the rest with zeros until
      the frequency you desire in Hz is displayed (no need for Hz, kHz, MHz, GHz
      buttons either).

      That said, are you aware that you can type a numeral from your keyboard to
      launch a pop-up window that permits direct frequency input. Unfortunately, it
      places the numeral you type in the GHz place when you intend to input a MHz
      frequency. It's really no different from the form under the 'Direct' tab.

      But don't get me wrong, I generally find the ergonomics of SDR Console quite
      superior. And I do like the Shift+Mouse-wheel and Ctrl+Mouse-wheel for
      temporary mouse-wheel step size increase/decrease. It is these little nuances
      that reveal the creativity of Simon's mind.

      I find HDSDR's click-the-digit method of tuning requires a lot of clicks for
      significant changes in frequency, but it does facilitate tuning by 100kHz steps
      very easily, without changing the mouse-wheel step size.

      Best regards,
      Larry

      On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 19:05:14 +0000, Dave Rogers <daverog1953@...> wrote:

      >Hi, I have been playing around with v2, and like it very much , however, I find the freq input method quite awkward. Maybe something like HDSDR would be better IMOP.
      >

      >CHeers Dave UK.
    • josephrot
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013

        Simon, not wanting to "break into" Dave's conversation, but one idea might be to have small blocks under or near the digital freq display with 100, 10, 1, .1 representing that when pressed, the freq display immediately tunes in those increments higher and lower, depending if one clicks on the top (higher) or bottom (lower) of the block.

        This "block select" would not replace any other display/tuning type, but be an optional one to display.

        For example, the block-select would be optional to the "default" method now where hovering the mouse/pointer over the digit and then wheel the mouse up or down changes freq.

        A second optional might be to display a tuning-knob graphic and "rotating the knob" by pointing the mouse and hovering the mouse/pointer over the "knob" and then wheel the mouse up or down rotates the "knob" changing freq up or down.

        Again, the tuning-knob would be optional to the "default" method.

        Just a thought.

        Joe

        --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, <sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hi,

        Give me a clue – what would you like?

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013
          I am using v2.1 Beta 1494 and find it great. I have no problems with the VFO tuning, I just point to the numbers and move the mouse wheel up or down to quickly move through the freqs. That works fine for me.

          I know that in an earlier version, I was able to input freq from the keyboard, but this no longer seems to work. Has this feature been removed? Or does it need to be activated in settings?

          Regards, Mike Simpson
          Penrith, NSW, Australia
          http://www.rstools.info

        • Mike Jackson
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013
            Mike, this feature remains and I use it a lot.  There is a setting for it I think but will look when home from work.

            Mike
            NZ

            Sent from my Windows 8 Phone

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013
              Thanks Mike,

              I found the setting under Shortcuts after I posted my message. All OK now and thanks.

              Regards, Mike Simpson
              Penrith, NSW, Australia
              http://www.rstools.info

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
                Simon,

                It might be interesting to switch on this option by default in the install file

                73,

                Guido.

                I am using v2.1 Beta 1494 and find it great. I have no problems with the VFO tuning, I just point to the numbers and move the mouse wheel up or down to quickly move through the freqs. That works fine for me.

                I know that in an earlier version, I was able to input freq from the keyboard, but this no longer seems to work. Has this feature been removed? Or does it need to be activated in settings?

                Regards, Mike Simpson
                Penrith, NSW, Australia

                Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                Versie: 2013.0.3392 / Virusdatabase: 3222/6650 - datum van uitgifte: 09/09/13