FREQ input.

  • Dave Rogers
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013
      Hi, I have been playing around with v2, and like it very much , however, I find the freq input method quite awkward. Maybe something like HDSDR would be better IMOP.

      CHeers  Dave UK.

      Sent from Windows Mail

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013

        Give me a clue – what would you like?

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013
          Hello Dave,

          If you are referring to VFO frequency tuning via the 'Direct' tab, I agree. I
          never seem to get it right. Perhaps a blank input form, without the
          underscores and commas, that just accepts input numerals from the right hand
          side would be superior. I'm referring to a function that operates similar to
          the way frequencies are directly input in the Icom IC-7800 for example. All
          you do it input the most significant digits, and fill the rest with zeros until
          the frequency you desire in Hz is displayed (no need for Hz, kHz, MHz, GHz
          buttons either).

          That said, are you aware that you can type a numeral from your keyboard to
          launch a pop-up window that permits direct frequency input. Unfortunately, it
          places the numeral you type in the GHz place when you intend to input a MHz
          frequency. It's really no different from the form under the 'Direct' tab.

          But don't get me wrong, I generally find the ergonomics of SDR Console quite
          superior. And I do like the Shift+Mouse-wheel and Ctrl+Mouse-wheel for
          temporary mouse-wheel step size increase/decrease. It is these little nuances
          that reveal the creativity of Simon's mind.

          I find HDSDR's click-the-digit method of tuning requires a lot of clicks for
          significant changes in frequency, but it does facilitate tuning by 100kHz steps
          very easily, without changing the mouse-wheel step size.

          Best regards,
          Larry

          On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 19:05:14 +0000, Dave Rogers <daverog1953@...> wrote:

          >Hi, I have been playing around with v2, and like it very much , however, I find the freq input method quite awkward. Maybe something like HDSDR would be better IMOP.
          >

          >CHeers Dave UK.
        • josephrot
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013

            Simon, not wanting to "break into" Dave's conversation, but one idea might be to have small blocks under or near the digital freq display with 100, 10, 1, .1 representing that when pressed, the freq display immediately tunes in those increments higher and lower, depending if one clicks on the top (higher) or bottom (lower) of the block.

            This "block select" would not replace any other display/tuning type, but be an optional one to display.

            For example, the block-select would be optional to the "default" method now where hovering the mouse/pointer over the digit and then wheel the mouse up or down changes freq.

            A second optional might be to display a tuning-knob graphic and "rotating the knob" by pointing the mouse and hovering the mouse/pointer over the "knob" and then wheel the mouse up or down rotates the "knob" changing freq up or down.

            Again, the tuning-knob would be optional to the "default" method.

            Just a thought.

            Joe

            --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, <sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Hi,

            Give me a clue – what would you like?

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013
              I am using v2.1 Beta 1494 and find it great. I have no problems with the VFO tuning, I just point to the numbers and move the mouse wheel up or down to quickly move through the freqs. That works fine for me.

              I know that in an earlier version, I was able to input freq from the keyboard, but this no longer seems to work. Has this feature been removed? Or does it need to be activated in settings?

              Regards, Mike Simpson
              Penrith, NSW, Australia
              http://www.rstools.info

            • Mike Jackson
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013
                Mike, this feature remains and I use it a lot.  There is a setting for it I think but will look when home from work.

                Mike
                NZ

                Sent from my Windows 8 Phone

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2013
                  Thanks Mike,

                  I found the setting under Shortcuts after I posted my message. All OK now and thanks.

                  Regards, Mike Simpson
                  Penrith, NSW, Australia
                  http://www.rstools.info

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
                    Simon,

                    It might be interesting to switch on this option by default in the install file

                    73,

                    Guido.

                    I am using v2.1 Beta 1494 and find it great. I have no problems with the VFO tuning, I just point to the numbers and move the mouse wheel up or down to quickly move through the freqs. That works fine for me.

                    I know that in an earlier version, I was able to input freq from the keyboard, but this no longer seems to work. Has this feature been removed? Or does it need to be activated in settings?

                    Regards, Mike Simpson
                    Penrith, NSW, Australia

                    Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                    Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                    Versie: 2013.0.3392 / Virusdatabase: 3222/6650 - datum van uitgifte: 09/09/13