Sound distorted in FM Broadcast

  • jjalaiza2
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
      Hi
      I use the sdr-radio with a FUNcube pro +, it works perfectly in every way except for FM broadcast in which the sound is very distorted, I tried to increase or decrease the width of the filter, attenuate the signal, but the result does not change, any ideas?

      Regards
      Juan Jose Alaiza
      EA3EGQ
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013

        Screenshot?

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
          Local overloading or interference?

          73
          Mike
          K4QET
        • josephrot
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013

            Or SDR FM bandwidth set too narrow ?

            Joe

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
              --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Brown" <simon@...> wrote:

              > Screenshot?

              I tried putting two captures in the section EA3EGQ photos in the folder with error result.

              If I respond to your mail do not see how to add an attachment

              How to do it?

              NB: I'm pretty novice.

              Regards
              Juan Jose Alaiza
              EA3EGQ
            • jjalaiza2
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Brown" <simon@...> wrote:

                > Screenshot?

                I tried putting two captures in the section photos in the folder EA3EGQ with error result.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013
                    I use the same setup Jose and notice exactly the same symptoms as yourself.

                    I think it's due to overload on the FCDP+ - so what I do is to reduce the IF mixer gain or turn the LNA off in the Radio Configuration tab when there are strong local FM signals.

                    rgds, Julian VK4CMV
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 8, 2013

                      Hi,

                      What e-mail software do you use?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013
                        Hi Simon

                        My email program is TheBat, but my posts until today I make through the
                        web, which is that it is quite limited.

                        Show me where it explains how to do it on the website of the group or how to do it
                        wiyh TheBat.

                        Regards

                        Juan Jose Alaiza
                        EA3EGQ
                      • Juan Jose Alaiza
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013
                          Hi Simon

                          My email is soft TheBat, but my posts until today I make through the
                          web, which is that it is quite limited.

                          Show me where it explains how to do it on the website of the group or how to do it
                          TheBat.

                          regards
                          ----
                          Juan Jose Alaiza
                          EA3EGQ
                        • Juan Jose Alaiza
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013
                            Hi Simon

                            Looks like you know how to send emails from TheBat.
                            In the photo section are screenshots.

                            Regards

                            Juan Jose Alaiza
                            EA3EGQ
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013

                              Juan,

                              That is a not a broadcast FM signal you are looking at. A) it’s outside the band, B) bandwidth is way too small – try Narrow FM or Wide FM.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013
                                Re: Sound distorted in FM Broadcast
                                > 1a. Re: Sound distorted in FM Broadcast
                                >     Posted by: "Simon Brown" simon@... simonbrown42
                                >     Date: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:56 am ((PDT))
                                > Juan,
                                >
                                > That is a not a broadcast FM signal you are looking at. A) it's outside the
                                > band, B) bandwidth is way too small - try Narrow FM or Wide FM.

                                Hi Simon

                                The frequency is within the FM band, the bandwidth is 192KHz and the distortion is present both WFM and FM Broadcast

                                I hope the screenshot comes correctly

                              • josephrot
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013

                                  Juan...

                                  The distortion might not be FM signal "ghost" or reflections as is sometimes heard with both strong or weaker FM broadcasts ?

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013
                                    I use an indoor antenna, do not think there reflections, I'm about 15 Km. from the center emitter, I tried without antenna, the signal is weak but the distortion is the same.
                                    With HDSDR works perfectly.
                                    Viewing screenshot sent, I think I have something misconfigured since the distortion is the same with filters from 48KHz to 192 KHz.

                                    Thanks for the help.

                                    Best regards
                                    Juan Jose Alaiza
                                    EA3EGQ
                                  • josephrot
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013

                                      Juan...

                                      FM signal reflections / ghosts can be anytime, anywhere, indoor or outdoor, on indoor or outdoor antennas, and can occur if close or far from the transmitter, if your geography is level or full of intervening hills or mountains, or even if over water. Can also occur if the FM antenna is vertically or horizontally polarized.

                                      Would definitely check each possibility that Simon and others have mentioned, and also caution to not forget about reflections / ghosts as one possibility.