Re: [sdr-radio-com] Re: Comparison of various SDR Programs

  • Mike Simpson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2013
      Hi Sam,

      Most of the SDR programs, including sdr-console don't decode the various modes on their own, what you need to do is to use SDR-Console to receive the output from your dongle and send the output via Virtual Audio Cable or similar Virtual sound card software to a decoder. MultiPSK in particular will decode all of the modes you might possibly come across (about 100 different modes from memory).

      Regards, Mike Simpson
      Penrith, NSW, Australia
      http://www.rstools.info

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2013
        Francis and Mike.

        Thank you both for your replies. Mike I've heard of these virtual devices before, and if programs can access them, I'm golden. I imagine too that some of these programs have plug-ins that allow you to stay 'in app' and decode.

        This will be obvious to me once I start experimenting.

        Regards to you both.

        KJ4VPI, Sam
        --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Simpson" <agene@...> wrote:

        > Hi Sam,
        >
        > Most of the SDR programs, including sdr-console don't decode the various
        > modes on their own, what you need to do is to use SDR-Console to receive
        > the output from your dongle and send the output via Virtual Audio Cable
        > or similar Virtual sound card software to a decoder. MultiPSK in
        > particular will decode all of the modes you might possibly come across
        > (about 100 different modes from memory).
        >
        > Regards, Mike Simpson
        > Penrith, NSW, Australia
        > http://www.rstools.info

      • Bob
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2013
          I use FLDigi for amateur radio use. it is much simpler than most and is free. The only mode that I use that it does not have is amateur radio packet (yes, there are still many packet nodes available). MixW includes packet but is rather expensive, and does not cover JT65 etc. MixW is a joy to use, and seems to be more sensitive than any other decoding program I have used, but is limited in the number of modes it uses.

          I also do not use VAC/ virtual audio cable. There is a free version that works as well and is easier to setup.

          bobbie
          kd4lv
        • marshallstax
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31, 2013
            I suppose this might have already been pointed out elsewhere, but Version 1.5 DOES include Data decoding (Windows Tab / Data Decoder option)

            CW, PSK31 and several other digital modes are available.