SDR Console and Terratec DVB Dongle

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
      Hi All,
      New Guy here.
      Am I correct believing SDR Console will support the Terratec DVB Dongle,(E4000/RTL 2832) or is the program only for Fun Cube Dongle,Soft Rock and IP remote?
      Before I get flamed for asking what I am doing wrong, I felt it would be better to ask this first as I am having great difficulty getting it to work (I did the Zadig thing). It does work however poorly with a horrid lack of sensitivity with SDR Sharp on a 3 GHz Dual Core Intel processor PC with Windows XP/3
      Joe
      KB2KIR
    • Mauno Ritola

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
          Hi Joe,

          V2 supports the RTL dongles, it just takes the driver being on (as you
          must already have if it has been working) and the extra third party
          DLL's copied to the SDR-Radio directory.
          http://v2.sdr-radio.com/Support/RTLSDRs.aspx
          Then the software should be able to detect the dongle under definitions
          (add and search).

          The dongles are quite prone to images if the gain is not well
          controlled, turn off auto gain and get a feel for the level required.
          Also some have no static protection at the input so if someone stick a
          PL-259 adapter on and connected the centre before the shield they can
          take out the front end.

          Regards
          Stu

          On 21/04/2013 21:50, Joe wrote:
          > Hi All,
          > New Guy here.
          > Am I correct believing SDR Console will support the Terratec DVB Dongle,(E4000/RTL 2832) or is the program only for Fun Cube Dongle,Soft Rock and IP remote?
          > Before I get flamed for asking what I am doing wrong, I felt it would be better to ask this first as I am having great difficulty getting it to work (I did the Zadig thing). It does work however poorly with a horrid lack of sensitivity with SDR Sharp on a 3 GHz Dual Core Intel processor PC with Windows XP/3
          > Joe
          > KB2KIR

        • Stu C
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
            Hi Mauno,

            I've only seen the R820 based ones (pretty good) so don't know what those are like, others may have experience but I don't recall seeing the name very often from various lists.
            Seems like there are at least two versions of that model anyway (from http://linux.terratec.de/tv_en.html)

            I expect there are clones and sold under other names so I tend to search for either the hardware chipset combination or "clone - model you are considering"
            If there is a direct equivalent sold under another well known brand there may be more reviews to be found.

            Regards
            Stu

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
                Sorry Mauno I don't, you may be able to read the details from the chip with a magnifier or manual focus webcam with the lens fully screwed out.
                There are rtl_test files for checking the frequency coverage of the 4000 chips, that or another exe may report what it finds but I'm just guessing.

                As the FC00012 seems to be on V1 maybe there is a version marking or different serial number for V2?
                http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

                Stu

                21.4.2013 23:50, Joe kirjoitti:

                Hi All,
                New Guy here.
                Am I correct believing SDR Console will support the Terratec DVB Dongle,(E4000/RTL 2832) or is the program only for Fun Cube Dongle,Soft Rock and IP remote?
                Before I get flamed for asking what I am doing wrong, I felt it would be better to ask this first as I am having great difficulty getting it to work (I did the Zadig thing). It does work however poorly with a horrid lack of sensitivity with SDR Sharp on a 3 GHz Dual Core Intel processor PC with Windows XP/3
                Joe
                KB2KIR

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013

                  I might be mistaken Joe, but if you have it working with SDR#, it should work with sdr-radio-console too. You will have to add the extra driver to the directory as Stu told you. It might be an antenna or connection issue. Are you trying to use the little mag mount that came with it? There are reports the crimps on the coax on some of them is poor. One test would be to find a piece of wire the same diameter as the center pin on the antenna plug. Bend it into an L shape and put the short end into the jack on the dongle. Then test.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 22, 2013

                    > Thank you. Is there an easy way to find out, which tuner I have in it:
                    > FC0012 or E4000? Even the seller company didn't know. I have, that
                    > FC0012 is not worth trying.

                    Mauno,

                    Many sellers do know.
                    That is the only way to be sure of getting a particular one.
                    I did not think the FC0012 was as good but we get different reports between the E4000 and the R820. The only way is for a user to
                    try one to see if it best suits his particular purpose.
                    And, maybe, different examples of the same dongle could vary?

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • Mauno Ritola
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 22, 2013
                      Thanks, yes, this was just in connection with other purchases to save delivery cost.
                      So I must try to find a peaceful moment and just try it.

                      Mauno

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 22, 2013
                        OK, Stu and others,
                        Thanks for the pointers...
                        It must have been a problem with the dll files I downloaded.
                        I re-downloaded from a different site, deleted the existing ones and
                        copied the new files to the directory and it runs fine.
                        Now the learning begins !!
                        Thanks
                        Joe
                      • Tim W4YN
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 22, 2013
                          I bought a Terratec "r820t" from Nooelec and I could never get it to work on any system, I have 12 different dondles working on 4 operating platforms and this was only one that failed on every system.
                          I poped the case open and it had an e4000 chip not 820, I have other E4000 dongles working so not sure what the issue with this one is but it is a dead dog!
                          Tim