RTL2832 dongle seen but not startable via Server

  • ccartmel
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2013
      Hi all,
      sorry if this is a known issue, but searched forum without success.
      I have a DVT-B RTL2832 / E4000 dongle connected to a laptop running SDR_Radio server (1315 edition) and although seen on the console (1315) on the connect dialogue, ticked, I am unable to start it. The Funcube also shown operated OK and is startable. The dongle works OK on the laptop standalone on console.

      Is there a simple fix, or is it a known issue.

      Thanks.

      Charlie
      G4EST
      www.g4est.me.uk
    • Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2, 2013

        It should work, have you done that Zadig thing?

        Simon GD4ELI/HB9DRV

        http://v2.sdr-radio.com/

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 2, 2013

          Simon,

          Thanks for the response.

          Yes, Zadigged the laptop, and as I had the dongle working on the desktop previously (as ADSB receiver however)  has Zadigged that machine also.

          Charlie

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 2, 2013

              Mark,

              If you mean the ‘custom’ DLLs  I downloaded and installed mine from AA5SH’s site. Used 64 bit as my systems are all 64 bit. As I have stated the dongle works directly on the console on the laptop but not via the server. To be sure I installed the custom DLLs in the desktop’s SDR_Radio folder as well as the laptop’s . Reboots done (both machines).

              You say it is an extra step – the steps I followed are as per the instructions below, cannot see an extra step.

              1. Go to the 'RTL Dlls' section (below).
              2. Download the correct dll for your operating system (32-bit or 64-bit).
              3. Install the correct drivers using Zadig.

              As it says in the ‘remote server’ comments the DLLs are in the same folder as the server executable.

              The dongle is startable and working on the laptop and on the desktop via the consoles, but although recognised on the server connection the start button is greyed out.

              73

              Charlie

              G4EST

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 2, 2013
                Hi Charlie,
                to reduce IT demons disconnect the dongle reboot, reconnect and just try the server side (don't fire up the local console).
                If you have more than one dongle re-define the dongle from the server interface.

                Then using another pc connect to the server and see if it is recognised and will start.

                Report errors from that point.

                regards
                Stu

                  --
                  Mark L. Hammond [N8MH]
                • chas cartmel
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 2, 2013

                    Stu

                    Owe you a pint. I was sure I had been through that route, however tried it again and IT WORKED THIS TIME.. excuse ‘shouting’ but I am a happy camper now.  Getting signals through OK, and now looking for the Virtual Audio Cable – what box did I put it in hihi.

                    Thanks Stu, Mark  and Simon for your help here.

                    73

                    Charlie

                    www.g4est.me.uk

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 3, 2013
                      Glad to hear it Charlie,

                      When I come to renew my membership of the "Guild of tunritoffandonagainers" I will cite your success and hopefully be accepted for another year.
                      Secretly I dislike stuff that just works after a restart as it doesn't actually uncover the issue, all the reboot/restart does is reduce the number of variables since last start so if it does it again we can hopefully remember what sequence provoked it.

                      I have seen the dongles lock with various software so I assume it is driver lockup /power or something not being closed properly, either way I've had to pull the dongle or reboot a (very) few times while uncommunicative.
                      Now we know it can work (if not locked elsewhere) maybe next time you could try - stop the service, pull dongle, reattach and start service. I can't remember if that will do it but its a quicker test than reboot etc.

                      Regards
                      Stu

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 3, 2013

                        Stu,  must join that club also.

                        Now it’s working I have been unable to get ACARS signals decoded, see previous post. I had a FunCube dongle Pro+ but lost it (left it) in the US after my holiday. Hotel supposedly looking in case it was handed in, but little chance of that I think.

                        Next stage is to forget about using the server connection and try direct through yet another USB lead, although the remote connection allowed me to connect to a half decent aerial.

                        I HATE COMPUTERS... although IT has been good to me.

                        Regards

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 3, 2013
                          I have not used virtual audio cable for a while but V2 does allow the audio to be directed to various windows sound cards so on the odd occasion I want to port the audio I tend to use real hardware like USB cards and internal cards linked with a old fashioned RAC (Real audio cable).
                          Stereo mix is another option but again I so rarely use it would need another to check the method.
                          (www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/)

                          Just post a new thread with the specific question, I know there people on here with the info.

                          Sorry to hear you lost a FunCube dongle, I bet there is some confused ebay seller out there now trying to offload, I assume you still know the serial.....
                          I've worked in hotels and it quite surprising what people leave behind, even more so when you contact them to say they can have it back but the batteries probably need replacing.

                          On the USB lead I have just been trying a 10m and 20m USB leads bought on a "this will never work" idea, both work fine with the dongles so I might stick a dongle on a pole once I've suitably weather proofed it.

                          I love computers, just like a love doing windows or office updates and fixing printers (this is a public forum isn't it) my bosses are great too.

                          Regards
                          Stu

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 3, 2013

                            Hi.

                            Anybody using an RTL dongle into a remote SDR-SERVER (V2) to collect ACARS signals via SDR-RADIO (v2) console and Virtual Audio Cable on PP machine?

                            Mine is set up as above and while signals are received and show up on the waterfall, audio showing on the signal screen albeit not strong, no decoding takes place. All volumes that I can see set to maximum to no avail. The audio being monitored seems to lack the ‘buzz’ as compared to that from the Ham Radio rig which decodes perfectly. Sounds more of a whistle.

                            Have tried switching I/Q around – no difference.

                            Getting frustrated now.

                            Also posted on PlanePlotter yahoo group.

                            Regards all

                            Charlie

                          • chas cartmel

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 3, 2013
                                Hi Charlie,

                                How about a screen dump showing the mode bandwidth etc.
                                Also check the equaliser is not in or too many other things like auto notch filter noise blanker etc.

                                I assume you are using manual RF gain and not too wide a bandwidth (can cause stuttering or images).
                                Those dongles need a bit more hand holding than the FCDpp.

                                I would stay away from maximum volume as if the data is decodable  it should all happen with fairly low levels and anything over-driven (RF or AF) is pretty sure to cause problems.
                                I also assume you are placing the signal clear of the centre spike (even if it is invisible) most of those would be spotted by Simon at a glance if the screen dump is half decent.

                                In case you don't do many dumps from SDR-Radio -
                                Camera Icon top left and add that file as an attachment to a normal email to sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com

                                Regards
                                Stu

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 4, 2013

                                  Stu

                                  Thanks for the detailed response.

                                  Frustrating as had worked direct, just not through server.

                                  Mode AM (tried synch AM, whatever that does), bandwidth 3 – 6KHz (tried them all I think), RF auto also 29 – 46 db (tried most), audio from SDR-Radio console 50 – 99%, equalizer set to pass all @ 100%, swapped channels L, R, both, audio set as DVD quality 48,000 KHz sampling, 1 channel.

                                  As it works on a direct USB link to the machine I have just purchased a 1 to 4 USB extender which I will place on the powered extension in the loft and move the dongle and construct an antenna up here. On further thought this may be better as it will free up the laptop for HFDL, again via the server (I hope).

                                  Other things which have changed here are hair I have torn out clogging the keyboard, greying at the temples, cursing at frequent intervals, and adding to my shopping list for the Blackpool Ham Radio rally this weekend.

                                  Cheers.

                                  Will report back after USB changes made.

                                  Charlie

                                  G4EST

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 4, 2013
                                    Charlie,

                                    I know nothing of this ACARS magic but I downloaded the program and after some fiddling got it going locally then via a remote FCDPP.
                                    For some reason my machine managed to mix up audio devices so I struggled more with that than the client server thing.

                                    For audio feed I tried it with a loopback line-out-line-in OK but then with the "What U hear" device from my external creative USB sound card (like a basic VAC).
                                    I tried it first with windows stereo mix but failed, it may be that when "What U Here" is present stereo mix is not an option.

                                    For me it was audio device selection issues, beyond that as I'm not geared up for air band I'm not sure if the performance is as it should be.
                                    Obviously if you are using an RTL dongle the server should be a "last few years" PC (to not chop) and the connection probably better wired than wireless.

                                    I think your USB local option sounds like a safer bet, I certainly works here with the FUNcubePro+ local or remote but local has to be less prone to issues (and a bit simpler to test).

                                    Regards
                                    Stu

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 5, 2013

                                      Stu,

                                      Bought the USB 1 to 4 unit yesterday from a local Rainford supplier, details on my site, and connected the dongle to the PP PC via the powered same cable in the loft to the R820T dongle. ¼ wave antenna fitted and all appropriate software restarted.

                                      SDR-Radio recognised the dongle OK as I had previously tested on the PC, and all looked well superficially. Existing R820T dongle still the one the RTL1090 connects to so that has not been impacted.

                                      Tuned to 131.725, saw a few signals but while some were decoded, < 10%, still not a result.

                                      Downloaded and fired up the latest SDR# as per Nic’s video, set up identically, and decode now running around 60%. Not as good as the ham rig, however the antenna (2m/70cm co-linear) for this is on a mast and sits some 2m above the roof line while ¼ wave in the loft so some serious differences here. Receiver a ‘tad’ better I would think J

                                      Will build a tuned antenna for 131MHz over next few days and see how that goes.

                                      Thanks for the advice,

                                      Regards

                                      Charlie

                                      www.G4EST.me.uk