Re: [sdr-radio-com] Re: Struggling with SDR-Consol - Again

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2012
      At 01:40 01/12/2012, Mark wrote:

      MS continued to offer KB951847 ad infinitum this morning.

      >There's a bunch of very useful suggestions on the web on how to resolve this problem (I went to <http://www.microsoft.com>www.microsoft.com & simply put KB951847 in the search box). Here's one example . . . hopefully, you can take a look & find your answer:
      >
      > <<http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/cannot-update-to-net-framework-35-sp1-and-family/e9499017-39bb-4e4d-ad61-f2db93030908?auth=1>http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/cannot-update-to-net-framework-35-sp1-and-family/e9499017-39bb-4e4d-ad61-f2db93030908?auth=1>

      I've now run that cleanup tool and I'm now waiting to see what happens next. I understand
      it removed a lot of the .Net stuff.

      Both HDSDR and SDR-Radio are still working, and I have been offered and installed a security
      update to XP. The offers of .Net updates seem to have stopped.

      >I usually sign "Good luck & have fun", but in this case, I'm certain that fun is nowhere near what you're having at the moment . . . best of luck.

      I have five other hardware receivers should XP and SDR crash.

      Thanks for your pointers. I hope it works.

      73, Cheemag
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2012
        At 21:34 30/11/2012, Stu wrote:

        >Giving up in disgust is my sort of feeling but not the answer ...

        I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on SDR-Radio. I cannot make head or
        tail of the tuning arrangements, the spectrum display and the span
        system - it's an undocumented nightmarish arrangement.

        Going back to it today I get the mirror image across the centre of the screen
        which I didn't have yesterday (I have reversed I and Q). Restoring yesterday's
        settings from a backup directory didn't help either.

        I'm going to have to leave SDR-Radio as being too complicated and OTT for a
        novice SDR user.

        Thanks to all who responded.

        73, Cheemag.
      • Stu C
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2012
          If you are going to quote me don't associate it with another subject.

          Whether you do or don't get on with SDR-Radio is irrelevant if what I
          was talking about was failed windows updates.

          Fix your windows install, once that's up to date and patched start a new
          thread to share your valuable suggestions for improvements to a previous
          program version that is current being developed at V2.

          Full mirror image is normally caused by single channel audio in
          recording settings (often a connector incorrectly mated)

          It's up to you what you want to do with this SDR stuff Cheemag but if
          someone offers you assistance and you can't be arsed to follow it, don't
          then infer they are agreeing with your negative protestations on a
          program feely given to and joyed by very many.

          Stu

          On 01/12/2012 12:20, Jim wrote:
          > At 21:34 30/11/2012, Stu wrote:
          >
          >> Giving up in disgust is my sort of feeling but not the answer ...
          > I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on SDR-Radio. I cannot make head or
          > tail of the tuning arrangements, the spectrum display and the span
          > system - it's an undocumented nightmarish arrangement.
          >
          > Going back to it today I get the mirror image across the centre of the screen
          > which I didn't have yesterday (I have reversed I and Q). Restoring yesterday's
          > settings from a backup directory didn't help either.
          >
          > I'm going to have to leave SDR-Radio as being too complicated and OTT for a
          > novice SDR user.
          >
          > Thanks to all who responded.
          >
          > 73, Cheemag.

        • Alan
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2012
            Subject: Re: [sdr-radio-com] Re: Struggling with SDR-Consol - Again

            > It's up to you what you want to do with this SDR stuff

            Stu,
            Be easy, we were all beginners. There is a lot to learn in SDR and it is sometimes the first time someone has to delve into computer
            setups.
            It is not all intuitive, even SDR-Radio.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Jim
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2012
              At 12:34 01/12/2012, Stu wrote:

              >If you are going to quote me don't associate it with another subject.

              That was remiss of me, apologies.

              >Full mirror image is normally caused by single channel audio in
              >recording settings (often a connector incorrectly mated)

              That would have shown up in HDSDR I would have thought. It didn't.

              >It's up to you what you want to do with this SDR stuff Cheemag but if
              >someone offers you assistance and you can't be arsed to follow it, don't
              >then infer they are agreeing with your negative protestations on a
              >program feely given to and joyed by very many.

              Fair enough. SDR-Radio's gone now anyway. I'll keep looking for something more
              suitable.

              73, Cheemag
            • August JJR
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 1, 2012
                I run among others a machine with XPproSp3 32 , 4core, 3GHz 4GB , also for compatibility with some old soft of my interest, and this is the one I use more.

                I had lot of problems with autoupgrade: MSIE upgrade, XP malware upgrades, and generally MSXP upgrades. More, I had severe problems from a certain time with Adobe acrobat readers upgrade, so that I endly left acrobat and went to a freeware pdf editor, simpler and lighter. I also had problems with MSIE upgrade (went back to 7 ), with MS Net Framework, with Java updates lately, and time ago with Apple soft upgrade.
                The most damn thing was MySQL logger corrupted after some framework upgrade!
                In fact I was not able to re-install MySQL in the logger, without removing Net Framework .  And to remove it completely has not been a simple affair !!

                So, I am not a PC guru and very often I scrap severely my head for a silly thing that for me is a big problem .... but I have learned by experience that when a system works fine, every upgrade may be a bad thing. So as long I can , I try not to update things that are not strictly necessary. The only auto-upgrade is for McAfee total protection. It gave me problems too, but only once, for an error.

                Now I have some BSOD appearing just as I start an application short after OS loading ; my wife confessed she used that machine and approved some upgrade request ...
                So, when I'll be in the right mood, I'll try another restore .... But why in the hell , when something is endly OK, they will ever plague us with such erroneous " upfdates" ? Or is this in the interest of selling always new versions, more heavy more complicated and more resources-hungry ?
                When will we absolutely need 128 bit systems to find a telephon number in an agenda?
                I do nowadays lot of things that I did - not so many years ago - quite well and happily with  singlecored 8 bit 2 MHz 256KB ram 20MB-HD machines !!!  (but I did also earlier with simpler CPUs, like i.e. the glorious 6502 ! )

                Is that progress, or waste ???

                      THINK      (IBM, these years)

                73 de Augusto I2JJR

                To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com
                From: mail@...
                Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 23:24:23 +0000

                At 20:27 30/11/2012, Mark wrote:

                >If you haven't had any updates to a WinXP machine for a rather long time, I would definitely go investigate that first. I run a WinXPpro machine at home (for some backward compatability with older hardware) & another at work (definitely for backward compatability with some older development tools). Based upon my personla experience with these two (very active . . . both used daily) machines, I would summarize updates this way: if you go two to three days *without* some kind of update, then it certainly bears looking into !!

                I can do no more than go to the MS Update website to determine what updates I need.
                If I do so I go round in circles downloading and installing KB951847 again and again.
                There are 8 others pending but I can find no way of getting those eight.

                73, Cheemag