SoftRock (si570)

  • Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2012

    Morning All,

    Here’s a screenshot of a SoftRock (Si570) with V2. Today I’ll be testing CCW SDR and FiFi, more-or-less the same thing (I think).

    Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV

    http://dit-dit-dit.com

  • Calder Latham
    Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2012
      SO when does the KX3 get tested???   Cal...

      Watching from the woods of Maine as the World turns.

      All the Best...Cal W1HHO.

      Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2012

        HAH!

        In theory I could write a DLL were I to have a KX3, I have the soundcard side working, what I haven’t had to do so far in this project is frequency control via a serial port.

        What I also don’t have is the ability for the SDR to change the frequency by pressing buttons or spinning knobs, at the moment the assumption is that the frequency is set by the console and sent to the SDR, the is either accepted or rejected.

        Will have to think a bit…

        Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV

        http://dit-dit-dit.com

        From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Calder Latham

        SO when does the KX3 get tested???   Cal...

      • steve_m0zeh
        Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2012
          Hi Simon,

          This looks so beautiful...Do you need a mainframe to see it like this?

          Maybe swl's could have up to a 1 minute delay but get incredible resolution with a mediocre processor.

          Steve-M0ZEH

          --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

          > Morning All,
          >

          > Here's a screenshot of a SoftRock (Si570) with V2. Today I'll be testing CCW
          > SDR and FiFi, more-or-less the same thing (I think).
          >

          > Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV
          >
          > http://dit-dit-dit.com

        • Tom
          Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 2012
            I would really like to see a different sort of operational integration between SDR Console (fantastic product!!!) and external radios. I will use as a simplistic example the KX3 and SoftRock Ensemble receiver.
            I choose this example because the KX3 lacks a true independent sub receiver, and the SR Ensemble is an extremely inexpensive yet highly functional general purpose receiver.

            Connections to a PC would be as follows:
            KX3 to PC via USB for query and command responses (I/Q output from KX3 not required but could be optional)
            SR to PC via USB for query and command responses and I/Q to sound card.

            Connections between KX3 and SR:
            Use KX3 amp control signal to control a T-R switch to mute audio and ground the antenna of the SR when the KX3 transmits.
            KX3 and SR use separate antennas, NOT the same antenna.

            Operational features (requires new / additional software interface and UI):
            1. Totally independent (one transmitter, 2 independent receivers)
            2. Sync SR to KX3 (frequency, mode, etc) This is a "one shot sync" that puts the SR on the KX3 freq so as to be used as a panadapter for the current KX3 freq)
            3. Sync KX3 to SR (frequency, mode, etc) This is a "one shot sync" - handy where SR is used for cruising the bands and then putting the KX3 on a desired freq, as in S&P contesting or DXing, pileups, etc.
            4. Sync SR to KX3 and follow KX3 freq
            5. Sync KX3 to SR and follow SR
            6. Stop tracking (for either mode 4 or 5)

            Mode 1 requires only the connection between the KX3 and SR - no modified software or UI.
            Modes 2 and 3 would be extremely useful IMO.
            Modes 4 and 5 would be icing on the cake.

            I won't go into other desirable options at this point. :-)
            Different xcvrs and auxiliary SDRs could be substituted in this example.
            Just manually emulating this type of operation with a KX3 and SR makes me believe it would transform the KX3 from a good base station into a great base station at very low cost. Maybe some other radios as well.

            Would this require modifications to the "core" of SDR Console, or is there an interface DLL for SDR Console that might facilitate anyone creating such an interface control and UI?

            Does anyone else feel this would make a useful setup?
            73, Tom NØBS

            --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV" <simon@...> wrote:

            > HAH!
            >

            > In theory I could write a DLL were I to have a KX3, I have the soundcard side working, what I haven’t had to do so far in this project is frequency control via a serial port.
            >

            > What I also don’t have is the ability for the SDR to change the frequency by pressing buttons or spinning knobs, at the moment the assumption is that the frequency is set by the console and sent to the SDR, the is either accepted or rejected.
            >

            > Will have to think a bit…
            >

            > Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV
            >
            > http://dit-dit-dit.com
            >

            > From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Calder Latham
            >

            > SO when does the KX3 get tested??? Cal...

          • MIKE DURKIN
            Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 2012
              Thought PE0FKO firmware for softrock --si570 stuff-- soundcard was already supported ...

              Im looking forward to V2 ...

              KC7NOA

              To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com
              From: tmoll150@...
              Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 17:09:25 +0000
              Subject: [sdr-radio-com] Re: SoftRock (si570)

              Message 7 of 7 , Nov 29, 2012
                Not sure what you mean by "supported" - can you explain?
                If you simply mean as a receiver, I am well aware of that - it works great. I am suggesting far more than that.
                If by "supported", you mean supporting third party software interface, I would really like to know more about that.
                What are you expecting in V2?
                73, Tom