Re: [sdr-radio-com] Re: sdr-FT 950 combination.

  • revpnm98@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2012
      Cross Country Wireless...using softrock software

      Peter G0KYX
    • g0uaz
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2012
        Ive just bought a Cross Country Wireless SDR 4+, but Ive not used it yet with my radio. How are you connecting it to the FT950? Ive had an FT2000 and used the IF-2000 board to run with an SDR-IQ.

        Currently Im running a TS590s and an Elad switchbox in combination with SDR Radio software and the SDR-IQ RX. I see no reason why the CCW shouldnt work here.

      • revpnm98@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2012
          Mine is a sdr-4+....that is the question...I have no idea how to connect the 2...my question comes from a position of total ignorance on the matter!!!
        • g0uaz
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2012
            Ok. There are two different ways to physically link the SDR to the FT950. Then you have to configure the various software packages to talk to each other,

            The first and cheapest is to use an Elad Switchbox. This switches the SDR RX to earth when you are in TX, protecting it from the TX RF. This will defintely work with the CCW SRD.

            The second is to use an RF Space IF 2000 board. This is fitted inside the FT950 (easy to do no soldering just a plug in job) This brings the IF out to the back panel. The SDR is then connected to this and uses the IF as a reference for the SDR to run as a scope. Its very expensive now, used to be £60 to buy direct from the USA. But since one of the Ham ardio Cartel became "proud sole distributors" It now costs almost £300 from them.

            BUT and its a BIG BUT. I do not know if the IF 2000 board will run with the CCW SDR and I have no way to test it as I no longer have either a Yaesu radio or the IF 2000 board.

            Once you physically link them, you then need to configure the SDR Radio software to run with the SDR and with the external radio (ie in your case the FT950. Once all thats running and tracking with comm ports, then configure HRD to track both.

            For more info on the software config, you could start by looking at Ian Wade's infor on the TS590s (G3NRW). He goes into detail about configuring the software. I appreciate that its a different SDR and a different radio, but it will giive you some idea of what you need to get your head around. Its a steep learning curve!

            Good luck :)