9114Re: [sdr-radio-com]

  • stu_capon
    Feb 3, 2012
      I agree and one of the most corrosive attitudes seem in the Amateur Radio field is the call sign snobbery, holier-than-thou, have a certificate so now saviour of the free world radio waves types.

      That was not aimed at the original poster if he really is concerned only to censor the radio for his kids, I can't say how I'd deal with the worst excesses of profanity if it has no other content or purpose.

      I got a HAM call simply because I love radio but mainly the technology and possibilities not to discuss my bunions for five minute monologues on repeaters.
      One of the things that stops me using the radio much is that the person at the other end is going to be a ham and combined with the rules that does tend to narrow down the scope of the conversation. I listen to CB when it comes over from the states because its often barking mad and makes me laugh, crazy fools living a different life to mine, like some spotlight being played across lives I will never meet, and they are probably not talking about their bunions or prostate.

      We have the opportunity to broaden our minds with this SDR stuff so make use of it don't just use it to look down you nose at those with a different or heaven forfend NO HAM Callsign!

      Stu

      --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, pd0psb@... wrote:

      > Agreed Jose,
      >
      > I find this whole discussiuon about censoring certain frequencies rather rediculous.
      >
      > Long live the airwaves! And anybody using them for whatever purpose.
      >
      > If they weren't all of HF would soon be a buzzing nest of Powerline Communications.
      >
      > 73
      > Paul
      > PD0PSB
      >

      > --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, jose maria trueba <josemariatrueba@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Listen to CB must be a sin, by itself, not just an abuse. Any social
      > > complex reasons?
      > >
      > > Isn't it some kind of visceral hating, found frequently, maybe because
      > > being a license Ham after being ONLY a CBer for too many years, to proof
      > > that you are not just a CBer anymore? Belonging to a higher class now, you
      > > can't even listen to your previous brothers?
      > > Or you were already high class in the 1st place, because you have never
      > > been a CBer, ever-ever, promised-promised?
      > > I forgot the dirty language words that can be found at CB, maybe a reason.
      > > Oh, yes, yes!
      > >
      > > I think that most Hams have been CBers before, and this is not (many times
      > > it is, but should be not) something to be ashamed of.
      > > Is it, but only after you are a licensed Ham?
      > >
      > > We need a license to transmit on Ham bands, but a CBer as everybody else do
      > > not need permission to listen to radio at Ham bands.
      > > Now you need excuses, or technical reasons like MUF indicator, to get
      > > permission to listen CB.
      > >
      > > Weird world!
      > >

      > > 2012/2/3 jay_hendershott <k7gfh@>
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > I have seen a couple of receivers stating the same thing also. One in
      > > > particular said "Due to abuse by CB'ers" I am curious what kind of abuse he
      > > > is referring to. His receiver, his rules but I am curious how they abused
      > > > it. I do agree with using CB as a MUF indicator. I do not talk on CB but
      > > > like you, use it to see if 10 is or will be open.
      > > >
      > > > Jay
      > > >

      > > > --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "(KP4TR)Ramon Gonzalez"

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic