9106Re: [sdr-radio-com]

  • jay_hendershott
    Feb 2, 2012
      I have seen a couple of receivers stating the same thing also. One in particular said "Due to abuse by CB'ers" I am curious what kind of abuse he is referring to. His receiver, his rules but I am curious how they abused it. I do agree with using CB as a MUF indicator. I do not talk on CB but like you, use it to see if 10 is or will be open.

      Jay

      --- In sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com, "(KP4TR)Ramon Gonzalez" <kp4tr.ramon@...> wrote:

      > To add to this thread, these are my thoughts:
      >
      > When I first encountered an SDR receiver using SDR-Radio, I immediately
      > fell in love with it and also with the Flexradio's. But before I
      > purchased anything, I did tinker with SDR-Radio and did lots of
      > connecting/disconnecting, and jumping around the various SDR receivers.
      >
      > One in particular bothered me. It said that if I use his SDR to listen
      > to "CB" radio, I would be immediately kicked out and banned from his
      > receiver. Well, if many don't know, I do like to listen to CB radio for
      > one good reason. It is a pre-cursor to the MUF reaching 10 meters and
      > beyond. A good friend told me that trick because CBers chatter day and
      > night on AM and their signals are a good measure of the MUF expanding
      > and possible 10 and 6 meters opening. Also on 48 Mhz TV signals from
      > Europe can be heard here in North America and also good indication of
      > European openings on 6 meters.
      >
      > I also use SSB to listen to AM. Nothing wrong there. And I may tune to a
      > frequency where nobody is talking. Because I am performing my own noise
      > tests!
      >
      > Anyone remember the packet BBS and the sysops holding and deleting
      > messages they didn't like? In the same spirit, please don't try to tell
      > me what I can and cannot listen to. The rest, I applaud you for letting
      > me listen whatever I want, even noise. And someday I'll open up my SDR
      > receiver as well.
      >
      > 73!
      >
      > On 1/31/2012 7:33 PM, Bruce Tanner wrote:
      > >
      > > Nice review, Ken. Thanks.
      > >
      > > On 1/31/2012 6:33 PM, ken johnson wrote:
      > >
      > >> I quite often stay only for a short time- just long enough to see the
      > >> bands are not open at the receivers location- with a panadaptor it
      > >> takes only a few seconds to see that there are no moderate to strong
      > >> signals around. Also, if I am looking for a particular signal, again
      > >> it only takes a few moments to see whether it is there on not.
      > >> As for using ssb on an am signal, again, I do that sometimes. It may
      > >> be there is an adjacent signal and using one sideband or the other
      > >> can mitigate the effects of the adjacent signal. And the opposite
      > >> sideband- there a quite a number of hams on the bands now that use
      > >> the "wrong" sideband for whatever reason. Remember, the sideband
      > >> convention of lower below 10Mhz and upper above, came in because of
      > >> the mixing scheme used by the early exciters and receivers, it's
      > >> really a legacy thing with no real relevance to current methods.
      > >> After all, a quick look at the signal on the panadaptor function
      > >> allows you to easily see which sideband is in use on any particular
      > >> signal.
      > >> There are also times when I find an interesting signal and stay as
      > >> long as the receiver's owner will allow.
      > >>
      > >> Having said all that, I am grateful to all the guys that put their
      > >> receivers on line for us to use- and if ever Simon gets round to
      > >> porting the software to linux I will be able to rejoin the community
> [...]
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic