9055Re: [sdr-radio-com]

  • KP4TR (Ramon Gonzalez)
    Feb 1, 2012
      Hello,

      I do remember the request to not listen to Cb and why but just didnt know who the sdr server belonged to.

      I understand the profanity concerns if your receiver is hooked to a speaker and your children play nearby your sdr at an audible range. It is not the case here at my receiving location.  The same holds on 80m where profanity is quite common. Even here in Tampa Bay I listen to hams on 28.415 USB talking about very explicit sexual conversations. Tune in the evenings on ths sdr located here in Tampa Bay. Put headphones on when tuning in to 28.415 USB. It can get very explicit.

      Enough said but thanks to you and all for allowing use of your SdR receivers.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Feb 1, 2012, at 10:25 AM, "N3UJJ" <N3UJJ@...> wrote:

      Ramon,

      I am assuming that you are talking about my SDR Server.

      Yes, I do ask users to not use my SDR-IQ to listen to CB radio (listening to CB on the softrock’s is fine), due to the fact that I like to listen to what my users tune (only on the SDR-IQ), and it lets me know when users are on my SDR-IQ.
      The problem with CB for me is the constant profanity, which I prefer not to have children listening to.
      I also request users not use my system between 7:30 am and 8:30 AM (EST) as it is used by the “Waterway Net” (something I support).

      For many months I offered four Software defined Radios on-line, and had no problem with users listening to CB on the Softrock SDR’s (in fact the login screen said “CB OK” on the Softrocks).
      Right now the Softrock SDR’s are being used for another project, but will be returned to service soon.

      I only asked that users not listen to CB on the SDR-IQ (one radio out of four).

      I have only “BANNED” one user (from Brazil) and it was mainly because, he did not respect the request to leave the SDR-IQ available in the mornings for the “Waterway Net”.

      I hope you understand now why I ask users to not listen to CB on one radio out of four.

      Scott Gillis N3UJJ
      My HamShack
      My Current Location
      My Amateur Weather Station
      My BOINC standings
      <image001.gif>

      On 2012-01-31 16:29, Bruce Tanner wrote:

      I see much the same, Jay, when mine is up which has not been so much lately. Perhaps 2-3%
      of the check-ins stay longer than 4-5 minutes. Some appear to not know what they are
      doing... When I monitor here I see tuning to AM signals with SSB mode still intact or some
      times the opposite side band being used. Other times it seems the listener may be looking
      for his/her own signal and when it is not found they bow out... I have also known of times
      when I inadvertently left a ground off which presented an extremely annoying AC hum all
      over the band width... I can understand the lack of staying power with that but otherwise,
      like you it seems that people are not staying on board long enough to accomplish anything
      within reason.

      Bruce, K2BET

      ---

      On 1/30/2012 11:25 PM, jay_hendershott wrote:

      I have noticed a lot of connections to my receiver from different users for only 45
      seconds to 1-2 minutes. There are a few users who stay on for 20 minutes and longer but
      a majority for under 2 minutes. Do you see this also on your servers? I wonder why? You
      cannot accomplish a lot of listening in 2 minutes. I would hope that if there is a
      problem with my reciever I would get emails from users but? I have been using my SDR
      online myself and everything seems fine. Just curious if others are seeing this.

      Thanks

      Jay

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database
      6841 (20120130) __________

      http://www.eset.com

      ---
      Virus Database (VPS): 120130-1, 2012-01-31
      Tested on: 2012-02-01 00:22:19

      Cheers, Ken
      vk7krj@...
      www.vk7krj.com

      'It seems hard to sneak a look at God's cards. But that He plays dice and uses
      "telepathic" methods .... is something that I cannot believe for a single
      moment.'     (Einstein's famous quote on Quantum theory)

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6844 (20120131) __________

      http://www.eset.com

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic